First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
Hi-

We are in the beginning stages of planning a camping / off road trip to the Grand Canyon. Leaving from Long Beach, Ca on June 25th and headed back on the 29th or 30th.

Going to the North Rim making a base camp and exploring from there. Camping in the dispersed areas and packing in / out everything we need. We cook a lot and will be making some killer meals.

We are traveling as a family with our dog. All are welcome.

View Rally Point

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
We won't be able to join you, but hope have a wonderful time!

I don't know if you've explored the area before, so if you have, please excuse my 'splaining below (I'm kind of obsessed with the North Rim area).

Your GX470 should be able to easily handle some of the fun roads in that area.

One example: There's FS road 213 to 220 and eventually on unnamed gravel and relatively smooth roads to 36.568311, -111.820416 that will take you down off the uplift out onto House Rock Valley/Buffalo Range, and right up to the East Rim so your kids and dog can stress you out about being too close to the edge. It's a view not many people get. I haven't been on those roads in a few years, so I don't know their state. You'll get a smirk from the rangers at Jacob Lake if you ask about taking those roads down, but you will need to check that the 213 is open. It's hot, dry, and windy in House Rock Valley, unless this weird weather keeps up, in which case it could be hot, windy, and wet.

If you don't share it too broadly, here's one of my favorite camping spots near the North Rim (outside the Park boundary):
36.401625, -112.061754
Also, Saddle Mountain Overlook, but it's often busy.

Do make sure you make it in to the North Rim proper, the views are so, so much better than anywhere else in the world and the crowds are much smaller.