Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Please join myself, Michael & Corrie, and Team Hunt for a short, yet epic adventure around the Grand Canyon after the Overland Expo West show! I have planned this trip to leave OE West Sunday night (5/19) and head to Lone Rock Primitive Campground (about 150 miles north of Flagstaff) for the night. Feel free to join us for camping. It's an open beach (camping fees for this night are on you) so there are no reservations, first come, first served.

Around 10:00am Monday morning (5/20) will will meet at the parking lot of Horseshoe Bend to officially kick off this 2 day trip. After enjoying the epic view, we will head into Page, AZ to resupply (if needed) and then drive towards Demotte campground. I have reserved 10 sites all nestled together at Demotte for both Monday and Tuesday nights (5/20 & 5/21 respectively). On Tuesday we will visit a few of the lookout points along the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and head back to Demotte for a grand sendoff dinner for Team Hunt. They will continue their journey up to Moab, UT and ending in Salt Lake City.

The North Rim is only visited by 10% of the total visitors to the Grand Canyon National Park, so expect some good solitude. On top of that, the road to the North Rim opens for the season on May 15th, just 4 days before the trip.

Average temps this time of year:
Hi ~80*F
Lo ~55*F

Bring your camera and tripod! There will be plenty of great spots to get some truly epic shots on this trip. I'll be more than happy to help with finding a good composition and camera settings if you want to get out of Auto mode. The moon will be full around this time so Milky Way shots might be hard to get at night. But that can also make for some cool long exposure shots with the moonlight.

The roads will be easy to navigate. If we go to Point Sublime, it will require a 4WD vehicle, as it is a bumpy dirt road. Stock vehicles should be fine for this 34 mile round trip.

If you are interested, please use the Rally Point to indicate your status and also send me a PM or text. I'll be busy the Friday and Saturday (5/17 & 5/18) before leaving OE and my chances to reply to questions will be rather limited. Feel free to stop by the OB booth at Overland Expo to meet Team Hunt, or find me around the Camel Trophy Skills Area on Sunday.

View Rally Point

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
DANG! We have two nights planned at the South Rim right after Expo followed by the next three at the North Rim between the 21st-23rd. Loop B, spot #27 reserved already, so we MIGHT be able to hook up and tag along on the 21st if we can get up and out of the South Rim area early enough. Will try to RSVP if I think I can make it line up.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Got this update this morning for Demotte.

This is an update related to your Recreation.gov reservation at Demotte. The dates affected are 5/6/2019 - 6/1/2019.

There is currently a temporary water outage at our facility, and water will not be available until further notice. In the meantime, you should bring all the water you’ll need for your visit, including drinking water. Please contact our facility if you have any questions or would like additional information

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Plan for a $10 parking fee at Horseshoe bend per vehicle.. and great views! And possibly bugs at Powell, its been an odd year, better be safe than sorry..and maxtrax..haha

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

This sounds great, probably not getting to expo until Saturday. Stoke you are putting a trip together. I will rsvp.
Cool! I’m planning to only be at Expo on Sunday. Lots of people to find and not much time. It’ll be a whirlwind day for sure.