Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
This is a great area to host an overnight trip and to have some training on various Overland subjects. Meeting in a mall parking lot for the day is so not Overlanding, unless of course you have a mall crawler only type of vehicle.

The area features tall pines, cooler weather, an off road trail that makes a loop that can be done with any 4 wheel drive vehicle. Low range is not needed, but sure does help. Nice open area to gather and spend the night camping and discussing things like: How to use a mobile Ham radio or even the handhelds, GPS/Map reading, Proper set up for trail riding, Proper setup for camping, etc...

The coordinates to the beginning of this trail/camping area is 34.8049635, -112.8793391 It is approximately 2 hrs northwest of Phoenix.

View Rally Point
Last edited by a moderator:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Under the terrain type it shows an atv. It is a smooth dirt road to the coordinates, so don't let the icon distract you from coming out.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We will be using all of the Overland Bound Comms channels - Ham, GMRS, and CB. The event info did not allow for me to choose all 3 types.

Reactions: MEFOBIA-JEEP

MEFOBIA-JEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson AZ
Member #

Not sure how it posted me as going twice.My old screen name is nogamelange. I will be going under "NOGAME" and don't want to take up a spot with my old name. Sorry !!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
So is the coordinates the meet up spot or camping spot or both?

How is the area when covered in snow?

Jim

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
So is the coordinates the meet up spot or camping spot or both?

How is the area when covered in snow?

Jim
The coordinates are the meet up spot and depending on how many people show up we will choose the best campsite together. So maybe another 1/4 mile from the meetup area at the most. That area doesn't get as much snow as you would think. Prescott had 4" a couple weeks ago and we did the trail and it had very small patches of snow in the shade areas - none on the trails.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Did you want to post this in the recurring Northern Arizona thread?

Jim
Jim,

Depends mostly on if this is a hit or not with the OB'ers. Heck, if only 3 people show up then I guess that it will be a hit. Haha

Hopefully we will have someone knowledgeable with Ham radios who can educate me on getting started with my radio. I have loaded up some repeaters (using CHIRP) in the area and I just want to make sure that it all works.

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Today I biked out Camp Wood Rd which is close to where the meeting site is. The snow is gone but ditches and washes had some water in them and depending on the condition of various sections of road, there was some mud. Camp Wood, which is in great shape, is likely in better condition than the other, less maintained roads.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Today I biked out Camp Wood Rd which is close to where the meeting site is. The snow is gone but ditches and washes had some water in them and depending on the condition of various sections of road, there was some mud. Camp Wood, which is in great shape, is likely in better condition than the other, less maintained roads.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Sounds great. The last time that we were there - 2 weeks ago the creeks were frozen over. No snow, little mud made for an easy ride around the loop. If anyone has a pair of branch loppers we can widen the thick wooded areas on the trail by 6”. The older 4runner fits with pinstripes, the newer ones not so much especially if you aren’t paying attention while driving the trail.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Wish I could go. I'm looking forward to getting out with some fellow members after so long!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I have to work Sunday but am thinking maybe drive over Saturday and not camp..... IS about 3.5 hours from Me, so not set in stone yet.

Jim

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have to work Sunday but am thinking maybe drive over Saturday and not camp..... IS about 3.5 hours from Me, so not set in stone yet.

Jim
Are you thinking about coming through Seligman and down that way? North Williamson Valley Rd will bring you down and then take a right turn at Camp Wood Rd.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I won't be able to make this weekend's event as previously planned.
We just had a death in the family and the funeral is on Saturday. If you all want to continue this event that is fine with me I just won't will able to coordinate it so we will need someone to take over for me. Sorry for the short notice.

Last edited: