PastorJ

Rank I

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA, USA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Lathem
I'm new to overland camping but not camping. I want to outfit my new truck so that we can use it for trips and not haul our travel trailer. There are 6 of us. My wife and I are fine with sleeping in the bed and putting the 4 kids in a rooftop tent (they don't weigh too much). I am just not sure where to start. Here is what I think I need:

1) Camper shell
2) roof rack for camper shell and cab.
3) Roof tent

I don't want need the best of the best. I just need something that works well. The issue I have is putting all the separate pieces together. I don't want to buy something only to discover later it doesn't work with the other thing I bought, if that makes sense. I would love your opinions and recommendations.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you want to go the roof tent mount on camper shell, then I would definitely look for on that is reinforced from the inside or one that you can add a contractor's type reinforcement on the outside of shell, especially if putting 4 kids. I have a camper shell and was thinking the same, but with my lift and truck already being high, I didn't want to chance it with my kid's falling off the roof or ladder that far up. Instead with have a pop up ground tent from Gazelle and works perfectly for our family of 5.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Just a thought, but what about towing a little adventure trailer? I know you don't want to tow your actual travel trailer, but a small off-road teardrop that you and the wife can sleep in, then put a RTT for the kids on TOP of might be perfect. Or sleep 2 ppl in the truck bed, 2 in the trailer, 2 on top of the trailer. Otherwise, as Roarin said I'd be really careful about putting that much weight on a fiberglass shell. I'd talk to the shell manufacturers and make sure they're rated for what you have in mind.

-TJ

mrpeterclark

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Clark
Go Fast Campers make a good topper with cross bars that you could mount a big RTT too. I have an FRS 80 that will fit 4 (better if they're smaller people). I aslo have an iKamper. it's rated for 4 people, but my wife and I and one kid is about all I would want in there. Maybe 4 small kids though if they get along. Go Fast also makes a truck bed camper, but I think 3 kids would probably max it out and you could still have two (and maybe one kid in the bed? We are making roof racks for GM SUVs and Trucks. The 21+ is coming up in the prototype queue soon. We may add racks for toppers at some point.