TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
This blue 2021 Sportage is my gateway to adventure. As my daily driver and with the need to haul 2 kids, wife and 2 dogs around home quite often I needed simple but effective build out for weekend Moutain biking and camping trips with my idiot friends. The buld needed to be able to utilize a campground or boondock with ease. My build plan centered around the goal of a sub 5 minute camp setup and breakdown.

Kitchen (the hart of it)

• Double pull out Kitchen box system that I built and is attached using simple synch straps to cargo tie downs or child safety restraint tie downs already in your vehicle. The kitchen box can fit in the back with both back seats up and usable for the kids if needed. The fully stocked box is less than 50lbs and takes less than 1 minute to install or remove. I store on a basement shelf when not in use and can walk it up or down the stairs without issues.
  • Stove Gas one Spyder (GS-8500) folding single burner Butane.
  • Water boiler Camp chef stryker
  • Pots/pans GSA pinnacle camper cook set
  • Kitchen Knives farberware ceramic knifes. Sharp easy to clan and no worries about rust.
  • Everything else is a mix of GSA and Walmart/thrift store or home kitchen castoffs.
Water

• Running wash water for kitchen and shower use is with a pump sprayer conversion (if hot water is needed simply boil some on the stove and add to the reservoir. Also use a collapsible sink basin for dishes and water catching
  • Drinking water is in gallon jugs bring as many as you need for the trip (I like to reuse simply juice gallon jugs as they are awesome and have a nice handle). Used the blue cubes in the past but I like this better
Cold food storage

• Ozark trail 35qt premium cooler. With Ice and some frozen ice packs in the bottom. I also use a small 6pack size cooler to keep those campfire refreshments happy without needing to open the big cooler over and over again and refill the small cooler as needed. As most of my adventures are in the 2-4day range the expense of a refrigerator and power for it is not justifiable….yet.
Dry food storage

• I use a collapsible shopping basket
Bed

With a small SUV mixed with a BIG guy 6’5” it works surprisingly well but there is no extra length. Requires passenger seat slid fully forward to fit me.

• Back seat seatback extension using 1/8” hard-board and adjustable straps around the front seat headrest
  • Softness provided by 2 inflatable camping matts
  • Warmth Sleeping bag and down quilt as needed
  • Crazy cold electric blanket and engine heat as needed
Power

• Jackery 500 handles my CPAP like a champ have done 5, 8 hour nights without recharging. In rear driver side foot-well
Closet

• Ospray Trail-kit duffle in rear passenger side foot-well
Bugs/privacy

• Home built window screens held in with magnets
  • Home built reflectix mainly used for winter
Bathroom

• Folding camp stool with hole cut out of the fabric and white bag tossed in/over. Have used the bucket version as well but this takes up less room.
Awning/tarp

• Slumberjack roadhouse tarp and amazon extendable poles. More versatile but more work than a fancy awning. Can attach it to the back hatch, or the roof rack if I have it on the car, or some trees, or freestanding with 2-4 poles. Has kept me dry many, many times and rigged correctly can handle wind very well.
Lighting

• Black diamond mini magnetic puck light can chose light color and can dim as needed also usb rechargeable. added a cellphone mount plate to inside of hatch for it to magnet to as needed.
  • Milwaukee magnetically detachable USB headlamp

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is an interesting setup. Enjoy your travels with it. Thanks for sharing and the detailed description.

Reactions: TrailMasonCliff

dlsilver

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ewing, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dina
Last Name
SilbernagelKrohne
Member #

This blue 2021 Sportage is my gateway to adventure. As my daily driver and with the need to haul 2 kids, wife and 2 dogs around home quite often I needed simple but effective build out for weekend Moutain biking and camping trips with my idiot friends. The buld needed to be able to utilize a campground or boondock with ease. My build plan centered around the goal of a sub 5 minute camp setup and breakdown.

Kitchen (the hart of it)

• Double pull out Kitchen box system that I built and is attached using simple synch straps to cargo tie downs or child safety restraint tie downs already in your vehicle. The kitchen box can fit in the back with both back seats up and usable for the kids if needed. The fully stocked box is less than 50lbs and takes less than 1 minute to install or remove. I store on a basement shelf when not in use and can walk it up or down the stairs without issues.
  • Stove Gas one Spyder (GS-8500) folding single burner Butane.
  • Water boiler Camp chef stryker
  • Pots/pans GSA pinnacle camper cook set
  • Kitchen Knives farberware ceramic knifes. Sharp easy to clan and no worries about rust.
  • Everything else is a mix of GSA and Walmart/thrift store or home kitchen castoffs.
Water

• Running wash water for kitchen and shower use is with a pump sprayer conversion (if hot water is needed simply boil some on the stove and add to the reservoir. Also use a collapsible sink basin for dishes and water catching
  • Drinking water is in gallon jugs bring as many as you need for the trip (I like to reuse simply juice gallon jugs as they are awesome and have a nice handle). Used the blue cubes in the past but I like this better
Cold food storage

• Ozark trail 35qt premium cooler. With Ice and some frozen ice packs in the bottom. I also use a small 6pack size cooler to keep those campfire refreshments happy without needing to open the big cooler over and over again and refill the small cooler as needed. As most of my adventures are in the 2-4day range the expense of a refrigerator and power for it is not justifiable….yet.
Dry food storage

• I use a collapsible shopping basket
Bed

With a small SUV mixed with a BIG guy 6’5” it works surprisingly well but there is no extra length. Requires passenger seat slid fully forward to fit me.

• Back seat seatback extension using 1/8” hard-board and adjustable straps around the front seat headrest
  • Softness provided by 2 inflatable camping matts
  • Warmth Sleeping bag and down quilt as needed
  • Crazy cold electric blanket and engine heat as needed
Power

• Jackery 500 handles my CPAP like a champ have done 5, 8 hour nights without recharging. In rear driver side foot-well
Closet

• Ospray Trail-kit duffle in rear passenger side foot-well
Bugs/privacy

• Home built window screens held in with magnets
  • Home built reflectix mainly used for winter
Bathroom

• Folding camp stool with hole cut out of the fabric and white bag tossed in/over. Have used the bucket version as well but this takes up less room.
Awning/tarp

• Slumberjack roadhouse tarp and amazon extendable poles. More versatile but more work than a fancy awning. Can attach it to the back hatch, or the roof rack if I have it on the car, or some trees, or freestanding with 2-4 poles. Has kept me dry many, many times and rigged correctly can handle wind very well.
Lighting

• Black diamond mini magnetic puck light can chose light color and can dim as needed also usb rechargeable. added a cellphone mount plate to inside of hatch for it to magnet to as needed.
  • Milwaukee magnetically detachable USB headlamp