woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
Hi everybody! This is my first time on this site... new user. I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts to share regarding the Manley ORV Extreme trailer? My spouse and I have, for a few months now, been looking at compact, towable mini-trailers we could use as a mobile base-camp. Scratch-building is not currently an option, so commercial packages (or used custom rigs) are what we've been limiting ourselves to.

We ran into the Taxa Woollybear, and the Manley ORV series, as possible fits. We priced-out a Woollybear (adding an RTT etc.), and ended up north of $17K CAD pretty quickly. Then there would be shipping from TX, customs/duties etc. to get it into Canada.

I've since run into an option to pick up a brand new, on-the-pallet 2020 Manley Extreme for $6K CAD, just a couple Provinces away from me.

The Manley ticks most of the boxes for us, gives us a nice platform for customization, and having a utility trailer would be great. Also, the price seems bananas good. Are any of you familiar with this model, and have experience to share? Or even folks who own newer Manleys, that can comment on their durability?

Also, on the topic of towing one of these little beasties... my understanding is that our Subaru Impreza wagon, with a towing capacity of 1200k, should not have trouble with a 1050kg ATM Manley (or similar small trailer) as long as we have a Class II receiver hitch?

Thanks!

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
I spoke again today with the new N. American distributor, and believe (?) I have the story more-or-less pieced together:

After the founder of MORV sold the company, the new owner controlled the operation out of California, and production was moved to China at some point. The current owner is going to be redesigning/possibly rebranding the Manleys, and all production will be out of Québec moving forward. He inherited a bunch of these 2020 Manley Extreme models from his predecessor, wrapped on their shipping pallets, and has been liquidating them from the warehouse. Thus the slashed price. So, these will be the last of the Chinese-manufactured Manleys, apparently, at least on this side of the world (Manley Australia still lists the Extremes as in-stock).

I'm not sure whether the material quality and fabrication changed, if at all, after its move from Ohio... but I haven't found any forums saying they're utter trash, or falling apart on the road? I'd still be interested in anybody's experience with the newer model years, if anyone has experience to share...

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Hi Benjamin, I am looking at starting to build trailers spec'ed out for overlanding. I am going to start the process after christmas. I have my welder all setup for steel welding and I am getting the aluminum setup asap too. I have been looking at the manley setup and can build one like that quite easily. I would have to source the timbrens locally but everything else I can have access too right away like material, lighting, electrical etc. I have one trailer I am working on now for a client so once that gets moved out I may pick up the raw materials and get cracking. I used to own a powder coating company as well, I sold the system, but it's still in town so I can have the entire frame powder coated for durability. If not I can bedline it for even more protection. I will keep you updated on the progress as it comes after the new year.

thanks

Steve.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
@woe_bonnet, any update on manufacturing? I’ve found quite a few of these trailers on “Alibaba.com”, and most of the production photos are from overseas, looks like they’ve expanded the brand as well. Curious if you’ve heard any more on it.

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
@woe_bonnet, any update on manufacturing? I’ve found quite a few of these trailers on “Alibaba.com”, and most of the production photos are from overseas, looks like they’ve expanded the brand as well. Curious if you’ve heard any more on it.
I'm actually pretty lost, to be honest... The NA owner/distributor/whatever he is, has either disappeared, or has been ghosting me for the past 12 weeks. He won't return emails, messages, or phone calls. He sent me incomplete/unsigned paperwork and no QC title to transfer, so that titling and licensing the trailer in NS has been three trips to the RMV with no actual solution. I don't know if Covid has folded his business venture, or if he hates me, or what.

The trailer I purchased from him arrived with some damaged parts, and simply missing others, but I haven't been able to get a manual or even a parts list - much less the courtesy of a call-back - out of him. It has subsequently been a long road to making direct contact with the Chinese manufacturer who - in direct contrast to the man who sold me the trailer - has been FANTASTIC to deal with, bending over backwards to get the parts replaced.

The NA Manley website still has not been updated to reflect any change in ownership or contact information. I wrote to the Australian distributors as well, many weeks ago, in an effort to get a parts list from them, but they never replied. I don't know if they're still distributing Manleys or not?

So, your guess is as good as mine at this point, unless the owner/distributor chimes in himself to clarify things.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
Wow, that sounds like a total shit show. Sorry you’re having so many issues. I stumbled upon some Manleys on the Alibaba app for a great price, but was wondering about manufacturing, quality and communication through China. Thanks for the info, good luck getting to some sort of solution.

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
Wow, that sounds like a total shit show. Sorry you’re having so many issues. I stumbled upon some Manleys on the Alibaba app for a great price, but was wondering about manufacturing, quality and communication through China. Thanks for the info, good luck getting to some sort of solution.
We'll get there, I'm sure... and we do like the build of the trailer, a lot, and the manufacturer has been really helpful. If that is any indication of what you can expect as a customer yourself, then I can certainly recommend them. Maybe check in with me in another 5 years and we'll see how the tub and frame are weathering... but for $6K CAD, new on a pallet - including the rooftop tent, pullout kitchen, tool box and water tank - I'm still pretty chuffed, regardless of a few missing and damaged parts and an uphill paperwork battle.

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
Some of the aforementioned absentee hardware prevented us from mounting the tent prior to mothballing the trailer in a horse barn for the Winter, so i can't actually tell you. We just left it in its box.