AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Anyone else seen the teaser? I’m a Toyota/Ford guy and i’m hoping they do this right. The shape seems to follow the original concept vehicle from years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

CEO was quoted as saying it’s aimed at young people as a no frills back to basic 4x4.....whatever that means in 2020.

Well seeing how ford doesn't have any mid size suv for under 30k I'm going to guess its going to be in the 30-40k range then.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

CEO was quoted as saying it’s aimed at young people as a no frills back to basic 4x4.....whatever that means in 2020.

Yah, complete with push button 4wd, push button diff locks, push button nav, push button airplay, push button sunroof.... back to basics all right... i want to see two sticks comin up from the floorboard.

On the flip side, Ford is spectacular at reinventing classic vehicles in ways people love (unlike Hollywood). The Bronco will probably look fantastic...

I unfortunately agree it will probably be quite expensive... in 2002 my new wife and I bought a new Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally for $14,999 at the dealer. It was perfect for a young married couple. It’s frills are power windows and door locks... and it’s still our daily driver 16 years and 245,000 miles later... I fear those inexpensive days are gone...

Anyway, how could a young person afford a new car, they have to pay phone payments and buy Xbox games...

James

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Meh, I like the idea of a new Bronco, but nobody is going to buy one. Hardly anyone wants a 2 door SUV, even the 4 door Wrangler outsells the 2 door something like 4 to 1.

I doubt they'll go with sold front/rear axles, so it won't have the offroad cred of the Jeep, and if the top doesn't come off, they've lost convertible buyers too. No way this has a chance of dethroning Jeep.

My feeling is this will be cool for a few years, then go the way of the FJ cruiser.

Reactions: RiverB

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Meh, I like the idea of a new Bronco, but nobody is going to buy one. Hardly anyone wants a 2 door SUV, even the 4 door Wrangler outsells the 2 door something like 4 to 1.

I doubt they'll go with sold front/rear axles, so it won't have the offroad cred of the Jeep, and if the top doesn't come off, they've lost convertible buyers too. No way this has a chance of dethroning Jeep.

My feeling is this will be cool for a few years, then go the way of the FJ cruiser.
There's been reports of all of that. Solid axles (Dana has hinted they're involved), removable sun roof, and that Ford knows everyone is going to want a 4-door. They're pricing it around 30k to be a direct competitor against Jeep. You're right about the FJ Cruiser reference. I doubt the hype will continue past a couple of years.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Just read the only voice for engine will be a hybrid. If that’s true it sort of hinders any water crossings i would imagine. Just like Ford saying the only engine offered in the ranger will be the ecoboost 4. Not sure if i believe that.

Robert R Pyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Pine, Klamath County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pyle
Member #

not true they said it was going to have solid axels front and rear don't know about the top coming off

RiverB

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Port Hueneme, CA
Member #

I hope there’s an affordable base version with 4x4 but to be honest most of us young people can’t afford new cars or aren’t interested in taking out a huge loan for one. Crossing my fingers for this bronco to be good though, the Wrangler needs some competition in America I think.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I was never a Ford fan, but am starting to come around, drove a Fiesta ST and loved it; Abarth was closer to the budget for the commuter car. The new mustang is finally keeping up with the rest also.

U

UgotWheelz

I was never a Ford fan, but am starting to come around, drove a Fiesta ST and loved it; Abarth was closer to the budget for the commuter car. The new mustang is finally keeping up with the rest also.
I had a 2019 Fiesta ST but dealer lied on financing paperwork so had to give it back after a month or so. Drove an Abarth wasn't thrilled with it, even got to autocross a friends. Almost bought an ecoboost mustang after the Focus ST, but got a better deal on the Focus RS. Other than my 20+ year old Renaults that I loved, the Mazda's and the Fiesta ST have been the best cars I have owned with the largest after market support. With the build quality issues on both the Focus ST and RS and multiple warranty issues I don't think I will ever buy another Ford car or crossover SUV. Might be persuaded to get a Ranger since it's proven in the Euro market already. Sucks because I really like the Bronco Sport but fords quality scares me. The Baby Momma has a BroncoSport BigBend it has been back to the dealer for build quality issues 3 times and the rear differential just fell out of the back of it a while back putting it back into the dealer for 3 weeks. She loves the BabyBronco but she says if anything else goes wrong she is doing a buyback and getting a CX3 or Crosstrek.
EDIT UPDATE:
The Baby Momma got her Bronco Sport back from dealer in 5 days and they gave her a brand new Explorer to drive while it was at the dealer. Turns out it wasnt as bad an issues as miss I know about cars said it was. She had some loose bolts on the RDU mounts and control arms, Ford has issued a Service bulletin on this. The RDU did not fall out of the car. She was able to drive it to the dealer making a clanking noise. She says even with the door rattles it "HAD" she likes it way more than her FocusRS and the previous Ford Expedition. out of th ebox it gets her to the beach to trail heads, to drum circles, and even the remote camp fire and music. She is Happy with it.

UPDATE2:
Due to the loan payments and the never ending battle with loose and rattling interior parts and a MIL for second O2 sensor coming on intermittently after dropping the car fpr service to check out the MIL which two different dealers insisted was just a bad sensor I wet to look at the new Ranger and Bronco Sport. I ended up trading the FocusRS in on the BroncoSport but I got a service contract and extended warranty to cover my butt on reliability. So far so good rides smoother and much more quiet than the RS on Portland's path of pot holes, patches, and frost heaves they call roads. Turning circle is great still getting use to an automatic and so far best MPG on tank #1 was about 25MPG that was the worst the RS ever did around town. Let's hope it gets better.

I also found and bought my old Fiesta ST back from a dealer with a blown heagasket and milktoasted piston. Got a new crate engine coming soon. I love the Fiesta ST's great little Mazda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eriefisher

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

I am guessing he was talking about the bronco sport. The big bronco is aimed at anything but. I priced a black diamond with only the squatch package and dual roof package and it is 72K cdn. Thats NUTS. I can get the tried and proven rubicon unlimited with all the bells and whistles for 67k and that includes 4xe drivetrain where we would get much better gas milage than the bronco as well. I like Ford. ALOT. But their prices these past few years are BONKERS.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

It all reminds me of the late 60's/early 70's, when bikers would customize Harleys and ride around, then fast forward and Harley clubs now are a bunch of dentist's and lawyers.

They want to look "cool".

Now everybody wants their rigs to look like us, but only the rich can afford the factory built "customs".

Build yer own, I says.....