Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
Ok, so first let me just start off by saying sorry. I ordered the truck back in May I it will not be delivered till October 4th, so the build updates will be VERY slow for now. However, I do have some eye candy for you all.

So the plan is to start build as soon as I get the truck home and immediately take it on a trip to Zion and Yellowstone (interested in going anyone?). I currently have almost all the parts I need, it is a brand new truck however, and not a lot is available for it just yet.

Here is a list of what I so have-
-37 inch BFG K02 tires
-4.30 gear sets
-ARB twin air-compressor
-AEV Katla wheels
-AEV front and rear diff covers
-KCHilites Scene lights
-Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
-Rhino Rack 10 inch bed risers
-Rigid dully spot lights
-Raptor series roof top tent (will be delivered in a few days)

Things I need to get-
- A lift, currently waiting for Carli Suspension to release the 3.25 inch lift for the 2019+trucks
-Camping gear, cook wear, water storage etc.
-A programmer to flash the truck for the new gears and tires (currently not available)
-Front bumper so I can add a winch ((currently not available)

I don't have a pic of the actual truck as it does not currently exist :grin: But I have the image from the Ram builder siteRam_longhorn_colorbumpers.jpgrambuildparts.jpg

Reactions: JCWages

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
Hey thanks @Jeff B if you have any good recommendations for trails, camp spots or gpx files on the site please let know know. I have just started to look into routes and actually planing the trip. I still have lots of time so I am currently in no rush.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

There are a bunch of campgrounds in Yellowstone. I stayed at a KOA in Cody, WY. (hour away from the park to the east) If I were to do it again, I would have stayed closer. A lot of the areas there are closed for tents because of the grizzly activities in the area, so that is something you may want to look into.
I did camp in Bryce canyon which is 30-45 minutes from Zion and may be less crowded. It did get quite cool overnight though. My 40 degree bag didn't quite cut it.

Reactions: Alpha Out Front

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
The tent is in (Off Grid Outdoor Gear Raptor Series Tent), here are some of my initial impressions. Please keep in mind the this is my first roof top tent and I have never had any hands on with any other roof top tents to really make any comparisons to.

Before we get in to some of the details let me just say that I would think this tent would be considered a budget tent. I had planed to use the Smitty built tent but the day I finally decided to purchase it this tent went on sale for $850, just 80 bucks more than the Smitty built at the time. This tent was more of the style that I wanted and I took a chance on it with very little research. The tent has very little online presence in general.

OK so first, what you notice is just how slim the tent is, even with the ladder stored on top the tent is almost completely flat on top. The cover seems ok, it has a plastic/vinyl tarp like feel to it. Once you get the cover off you immediately notice ALL the aluminum shavings that cover the tent (some very large and disappointing to see). Opening the tent was actually not that easy at first. Then I realized that I needed to unzip the tent a little to let in some air, it actually a bit of vacuum in the tent. Once I cracked a zipper it opened right up. The tent does not stay up on its own, it requires that you put in a locking pin on each side to remain in the upright position. With just the pins the tent still seems a bit saggy on the sides and the back, this is where those long straps in front come in. They are used to anchor the front of the tent and also pulls the tent to its full upright position. The tent with no the straps is still 100% usable but just feels a touch smaller on the inside due to the rear wall sagging into the tent. All of the zippers and Velcro feel solid and well as the material of the tent. It sits on an aluminum platform that also feels solid however, mine was damaged a bit in transit. But over all I feel like this is a good tent given the the price point. The hardware to mount the tent is most impressive, as it comes with powder coated v shaped brackets and even a ratcheting wrench! I am 5 foot 8 inchs and the tent is a good size for me. Two people would be a bit snug. The mattress is two inchs thick but I really don't have any comments on it yet as I have not spent a night on it. Once I get the truck in and have a chance to use the tent a few times I will give an update on just how well the tent holds up.

IMG_20190830_164604.jpgIMG_20190830_170752.jpgIMG_20190830_171155.jpgIMG_20190830_171216.jpgIMG_20190830_172432 (1).jpgIMG_20190830_172602.jpgIMG_20190830_172613.jpgIMG_20190830_172647.jpgIMG_20190830_173124.jpgIMG_20190830_173741.jpgIMG_20190830_181822.jpg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Seems like a lot of the other brands have issues with the aluminun shavings. After 3yrs and dozens of use I still find shavings in my Tepui. I've removed the mattress and blown out the tent twice and yet I still find them.