Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Great :unamused:
If I drive with the AC on, it is nice and cold. But when I stop, the air slowly goes to warm. I had Toyota RAV4 2013, I never used auto on AC, it was always on manual with 73 degrees set and fan blowing hardly mid speed I was never war in that car.
Not sure what to think about this system in my truck. Maybe the AC can't keep up, maybe it a bug, like you said.
It sounds like the electric fan (on the engine) is not kicking on when the AC compressor cycles. I converted my first gen Colorado and old Silverado over to electric fans. Both had to have an extra wire ran to the AC compressor's clutch so the fan would kick on when it did. Otherwise it would do the exact thing you are describing.

The Compressor compresses fluid which generates heat. The heated fluid gets cooled down up in the rad area. The cooled down fluid then gets de-compressed and rapidly cools at that time... cold air is made.

The fact that it works when moving makes me think that the compressor/strength I fine.

Reactions: PeTas

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
It sounds like the electric fan (on the engine) is not kicking on when the AC compressor cycles. I converted my first gen Colorado and old Silverado over to electric fans. Both had to have an extra wire ran to the AC compressor's clutch so the fan would kick on when it did. Otherwise it would do the exact thing you are describing.

The Compressor compresses fluid which generates heat. The heated fluid gets cooled down up in the rad area. The cooled down fluid then gets de-compressed and rapidly cools at that time... cold air is made.

The fact that it works when moving makes me think that the compressor/strength I fine.
I have been scheduled for checkup, but then because the weather here in MD cooled off and I have measured the temp with my infrared thermometer I thought the AC was "ok". But....you know, when you think "it's ok" it really is not. The very next day, I experienced the same, driving on highway, and the air was changing from relatively ice cold to luke warm. I had the thermometer handy on my passenger seat, so I did took the measurement which was reading 63.7 degrees, while the AC truck controls have not changed (fan mid speed, temp set to 71). I will call the guy from the dealership to reschedule, see what they find or come up with. He did mention software updates etc....well, who knows. I will keep you post it.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I have been scheduled for checkup, but then because the weather here in MD cooled off and I have measured the temp with my infrared thermometer I thought the AC was "ok". But....you know, when you think "it's ok" it really is not. The very next day, I experienced the same, driving on highway, and the air was changing from relatively ice cold to luke warm. I had the thermometer handy on my passenger seat, so I did took the measurement which was reading 63.7 degrees, while the AC truck controls have not changed (fan mid speed, temp set to 71). I will call the guy from the dealership to reschedule, see what they find or come up with. He did mention software updates etc....well, who knows. I will keep you post it.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
No problem. The only other things I can think of that it could be is possibly the computer/software controlling the air mixtures as they come through the dash... or the actual valves that control the air flow mixtures. Who knows though... there are a lot of components to those systems. There could be a slow leak that needs to be fixed/or it may not have been fully charged at the factory.

Mine will freeze me out of my truck as well on my 18'. So I know the system has potential. GM is always really good about sizing AC units in their vehicles (Compared to most Euro mfrs that come from cooler climates).

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
No problem. The only other things I can think of that it could be is possibly the computer/software controlling the air mixtures as they come through the dash... or the actual valves that control the air flow mixtures. Who knows though... there are a lot of components to those systems. There could be a slow leak that needs to be fixed/or it may not have been fully charged at the factory.

Mine will freeze me out of my truck as well on my 18'. So I know the system has potential. GM is always really good about sizing AC units in their vehicles (Compared to most Euro mfrs that come from cooler climates).
I did heard that they Chevy/GM indeed have good AC in their vehicles, that is why this does puzzle me a little especially on this brand new not even 2 months old truck.

Reactions: great08

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
Little by little I'm adding stuff, finally installed the keypad on the fuel door, got clear covers for the ditch lights to replace the solid black ones, installed a 30" Baja Designs light bar on the Rhino Rack platform (the largest that will fit using Rhino's brackets), the Rhino Platform Fairing, which is the best designed fairing I have ever seen, you can mount it anywhere on the platform and adjust it to any angle you want it at. Finally installed the black door handles. The black door handles look out of place right now, but had the camera mirror covers Line-X'd yesterday and will install most likely this weekend. Also have the redline badges for the sides and rear to install.

Hi,
What is the keypad do on the fuel tank door? And where did you got it from?
Thank you

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
no, this is just a wireless keypad it doesn't physically lock anything. Your best bet is to get a locking fuel cap, and a def cap (if you have a diesel), 2020 Colorado's and Canyon's will get a central locking tailgate.
I did realized the dumb question after I sent the message, I do need lockable cap for both, I do have diesel.

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
While it's not cheap, this one looks like it's really well made:

BEM Auto

If that is to rich for your blood, there are cheap locking fuel caps on amazon.
No its not rich for my blood :D "you get what do you pay for" (my old boss words, and oh man he was always right on those words). Anyway, do they have DEF cap too?
Thank you

PeTas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Silver Spring, Maryland
First Name
Petr
Last Name
Vojar
Got an email from iKamper this morning stating if I took the black topped model (I ordered a silver topped one), that I could get my X-cover (I ordered with the first 10 minutes the pre-ordered opened) in 5 to 10 days, otherwise they would refund all my money.

Interesting that they didn't give me any option to continue to wait for a silver topped model, or an explanation of why it's no longer available. Customer Service is a dying art.
right on with the "dying" comment

poluxmx

Rank 0

Contributor I

Switzerland
First Name
Ber
Last Name
Mar
Great build! I'm new to this and I'm still learning, so may I ask you why you changed the Alucab for the iKamper? The Alucab seems a great product from what I've seen online.

adam_j

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Wilmington, DE, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

Damn, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you can get this sorted quickly and continue on your way. Safe travels!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Damn :( That's a crappy way to start a trip. Keep us posted. Crossing my fingers it's something easy to fix and you'll be on your way.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yeah well the cowboy way of life killed the American Indian way of life and the prarrie ecosystem.....

Glad you're able to keep your spirits up despite the setbacks. Hang in there man!

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

I ordered my Bison on 10/18/18, working for GM, I had a direct contact at the factory in Wentzville, MO and got an email on 12/19 that the orders were sent to the computers to start production. Was told that they will only be building 2 Bisons a day for the first two weeks of production, my Bison finished production right after the lunch break on the 20th of December. GM shuts down the week between Xmas and New years and the dealer received the invoice on 1/3/19 with an anticipated delivery date of 1/15/19. Got a call on the 11th that it came in the night of the 10th and they were finishing PDI. Drove my 2018 ZR2 ExCab V6 (gas) up to Temple, TX and traded it on the Bison.

When they announced the Bison, I was at a point with my gas ZR2 where everything would transfer over that I had done, I really wanted the diesel so this was a great excuse to order one, which is what I did.

So far, the only "new" things I have done/ordered for the Bison are:

• Side windows tinted with Spectra PhotoSync 35%, and front windshield done to legal limit by Sun Tint in Austin
  • Installed Rally Armor Urethane Plus mudflaps, they aren't pretty, but are completely flexible and shouldn't have to worry about them being ripped off going down a trail.
  • Ordered BFG KM02 All-terrain 285/70/17 Class C Blackwall 33" tires
  • Ordered AEV Crestone Dual-sport wheels with the silver protection ring
    • Will have to get a level kit of at least 3/4" and trim the rear fender are of the front wheel wells. I'm waiting on GM to release their Front Lift Kit with improved upper control arm before I install the new wheel/tire combo, it's expected to be released in Feb 2019. Being a GM Employee I want to stick to GM products as much as possible.
  • Ordered ARB Elements Fridge
  • Goal Zero Yeti 1000 Lithium Battery
  • Goal Zero Nomad 100 watt foldable solar panels

What I'm transferring over from my "old" ZR2

• Leitner Designs Bed Rack w/ attachments for
    • 2 gas Rotopax
    • 2 water Rotopax
    • 2 diesel Rotopax
    • 4 maxtrax
    • flag pole mount
    • 2 Leitner Gear boxes
  • Thule Aero Roof Rack with fairing
  • Baja Designs Ditch lights
  • Baja Designs 30" lower grill light bar
  • OCD center console organizer
  • OCD glove box organizer
  • Rear seat platform
  • WeatherTec in channel front window visors
  • Decked Drawer system
When GM/AEV release these parts I will add the to my vehicle:

• AEV lower grill bar to mount the 30" baja designs light bar
  • AEV brackets for rear lights, will stick with baja designs lights
  • AEV brackets for replacement front fogs
Just curious how the Goal Zero Nomad 100 worked for you? Good wattage/charging?