Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Bison has ZR2 fenders under the AEV flares, the AEV concept truck had 33-34" tire but could not turn because of fender contact, sure looked good. A level and minor trimming should do it.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I like those wheels, been thinking about getting a set, some good sales going on 4 for price of 3. I'm waiting on parts to do the front gear install. I'm going conservative with a 32.5" tire.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Looking Awesome. I really like these rigs. I drove one a few months ago down a 4 mile windy bumpy forest road. Man that suspension works well!

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Sounds like an awesome trip to say the least. Glad your truck performed so well and that you had a great time. I'm planning on attending expo east this year.

Reactions: adam_j

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Sad to see the poor execution of the flare install and the crap powder coating job. Your build is coming along nicely despite the GM and AEV errors. :)

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I’d recommend different mud flaps. Rally Armour is pretty bad and fall often fairly commonly. Many Subaru guys know this, which is why I know it. I had a Subaru with them and one fell off, looked online and turns out it happens all the time.

They are some what of a scam, just buying it for the name is what it feels like to me. Just a heads up

Reactions: OverlandN00b

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I ordered the AEV Low Tube Bar the day it became available. I remember it being on the SEMA Concept and loved it, that one was painted body color, which I seriously considered doing, but then I would want to paint the wheels to match and then switch to the onyx protection rings. So I decided to do silver, thought was the protection rings are silver and the load bars on the Leitner Rack are aluminum, in terms of design, 3 make a set, so silver it was. I called AEV to get the paint code on the silver protection rings the day after I ordered it. I made several calls back, but to no avail. I decided to go with Line-X. As with everything I've received from AEV the paint was chipped in places, but a much better paint job than the dismal paint job on the transmission skid. Because of the chips and seeing how thin the paint was my Line-X guy said he better do a primer to make sure everything sticks well. With that and deciding to do a color (other than black) the Line-X job cost just as much as the part.

I don't know if it's because I got it Line-X'd but none of the holes lined up, they were all a little off which made it really, really difficult to get it installed. I resorted to an impact gun to get all the bolts on. the nuts that go on the underside are a major PIA. I was able to get one of them tightened using multiple extensions on my socket wrench, that wasn't possible on the other side, I tried using a wrench, needle nose pliers, a stubby ratcheting wrench to no avail. But there is no way this thing is falling off.

I intend to put a 20" light bar, which actually came in when I was installing the Low Tube Bar. But after five hours of struggling, I wasn't about to attempt installing the light bar.

It was twilight when I finished and snapped the pictures. Hopefully it will look more cohesive in the sunlight, but overall I'm happy with it, and I didn't want a monochromatic front end.
It looks great but damn man. When are you going to catch a break with these issues? :) Kuddos to you for finding ways to make it work.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Well done! That truck is one of my favorites on the forum! Great work!

I look forward to seeing what you do to it next!