First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
Hello to all members,
I am a new member with no prior experience or no overland vehicle yet. Live in Vestal , NY, upstate.
Near retirement or partly retired so looking to explore US in a rather non conventional way and looking to explore possibilities with some over landing, camping in the wonderful outdoors of US.
I read and saw a lot of videos about the New Nissan Armada and how comfy and well equipped it is for rugged travels.
I would appreciate other member thoughts and advice about modifying with after market accessories including beefier suspensions and wheels.
Thanks,
Jay
I own a 2011 Nissan Armada and have taken it off road. In fact I have driven it in Moab on some was trails. Schafer Trail and Long Canyon. Neither is real rock crawling. It is a very comfortable and very capable vehicle. High ground clearance >10", V8 power, big tires with good side walls are the high points. The length of the wheel base is a problem. Taking any rough roads with rocks can mean high centering and probable damage to the running boards. Mine has a low setting for the transmission and seems to provide locking differentials. I have never tested it in lock. Traversing mud, creeks and rocky terrain would be a question. Towing is a breeze. I towed a UHaul double axle filled with furniture cross country and most of the time I forgot it was there.

M_cved

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Marko
Last Name
Cvetic
Member #

M_cved - what a great Patrol You have.
Let us know what r Your plans to make it Overlanding Vehicle...
hopefully a calmini lift kit 3” I already have 275/70/18 Yokohama geolander A/T and playing on moving up to 295/70/18. Wheels are KMC wholeshot 18x9 +18

Reactions: Ralph

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nissans are a topic of tension in many American forums. With that said, I find them perfectly capable.

You chose a great platform since, as stated previously, the 2017+ are the same platform as the international Patrol. Here in the US, IronMan 4x4 USA has a reasonably priced suspension upgrade that provides a modest 1.5" lift, hd springs, and offroad shocks. 1.5 should be plenty to let you clear 35s considering the 275/60R20 equipped from the factory are roughly 33".

I would simply recommend visiting a tire shop to get measured for wheels and tires just to ensure there isn't any rubbing before spending all the cash. I don't have first hand experience with that platform, so i can't speak to specific measurements. There are many threads in the forum related to tire recommendations so I encourage you to search around for those. Lots of information to sift through.

After that, I'd say enjoy!

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

hopefully a calmini lift kit 3” I already have 275/70/18 Yokohama geolander A/T and playing on moving up to 295/70/18. Wheels are KMC wholeshot 18x9 +18
Are You going to change the tires only? Or rims as well? Be awared of ET doing so. Patrol is capable for 35" tires only if ET is under control
Recommend thinking of mod of rear locker - this electronic they install in factory is full of s..t