Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
IMG_20180709_233829.jpg
Hey Everyone!

Welcome to the build thread for Project Swampcat!! I'll update this thread periodically, but for the latest and greatest on the build, as well as our travelling adventures, follow me on Instagram (@swampcat_jeep) and/or Facebook (@SwampcatJeep).

The overall build goal is a common one -- family overlanding/camping rig to support myself, the wife, and two littles on multi-day travels.

Please make comments/suggestions and ask questions (don't worry about hurting my feelings). I acquired lots of knowledge and experience during the years of upgrading and wheeling my JKU, but I don't know everything and intend to use this forum as a sounding board and idea generator.

Original Order Specs
  • JLU Rubicon (E-lockers, D44 Axle Housings, E-disconnect for front sway bar, etc)
  • Firecracker Red
  • 8-spd Auto
  • Steel Bumpers
  • LED Lighting Group
  • Safety Group
  • Infotainment Group
  • Tow Group
  • Body Color Top and Fenders
  • Black Leather Interior
Upgrades (Completed)
  • Warn Zeon Platinum 12-S
  • Factor 55 Fairlead and UltraHook (w/ Rope Guard)
  • WARN Winch plate for MOPAR steel bumper
  • Hutchinson 17 inch Rock Monster Beadlocks (Argent)
  • 37x12.5R17 BFG KM2s
  • Metalcloak 3.5" Game Changer Suspension Lift
  • Falcon 2.1 Series Shocks
  • Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders
  • Carolina Metal Masters A-pilar Side Mirrors
  • Hot Head Headliners
  • SWAMPCAT Hood Decals from Pixel Decals
  • MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement and HD Tire Carrier
  • GPCA Grab Handles
  • MOPAR All-Weather Floormats
  • Zulu Nylon Gear MOLLE/PALS Sun Visor covers
  • Cobra 75WX CB Radio
  • Rock Hard 4x4 Full Skid Plate System
  • Artec Industries CAD Skid Plate
  • Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Roof Rack w/ Maximus-3 Mounts
  • MyMedic Individual First Aid Kit
  • CVT Mt. Rainier Stargazer Summit RTT w/ Annex
  • Miscellaneous MOLLE/PALS cargo packs
Upgrades (Planned)
  • On-board air (ARB Twin)
  • Snorkel
  • Front Bumper (needs shackle tabs, jack points, and fog light mounts)
  • Rear Bumper (needs shackle tabs and jack points)
  • Plate system for cargo area (waiting on Goose Gear)
  • Fridge/Freezer (ARB or Dometic)
  • HAM Radio

Last edited:
Reactions: DanW

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Well, I've got the winch sitting in the garage now. JCR winch plate is on order. JCR classic sliders are on order. Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlocks are on order with the tires, but I changed up the tire choice to a set of 37x12.5R17 BFG KM2's. I'm waiting on Teraflex to announce their lift packages for the JLU before I order a lift. I also cancelled the MOPAR tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement in favor of whatever Teraflex comes up with. I had the TF Alpha HD carrier on my JKU and loved it, so I'm sure they'll come up with something similar for the JLU.

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
It's official!! #projectswampcat is now part of the @c4x4_magazine family. My article covering my inital impressions of the JL, as well as comparisons to the outgoing JK, is live at http://www.c4x4.com/Projects/Swampcat/JL/JLreview.html

While you're there, check out our coverage of Jeep Beach 2018, the Texas Spurs Jeep Jamboree, and our other projects... #project_vulture, @projectthespike, and #project_rex.

What are your thoughts on the JL?

Want to keep up as I build Swampcat into a family overlanding platform? Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/swampcat_jeep/

#c4x4_magazine #jeep #jeepjluwrangler #jlurubicon #jlucrew#jlwranglers #jlur #jeepjlurubicon #jeepwrangler #jeepwranglerunlimited#sevenslotbattalion #jeeplifestyle #jtopsusa #jeeplife #jeepinforjesus#jeepersforjesus #crawlher #jlucrew #jeeps #jeepjlu #jeepbeef#jeepsofinstagram #jeepjlu #jeepfame #extremejlu

33769706_10160365512330006_5796295113139290112_o.jpg

Reactions: RogueGB7

GetLost

Rank 0

Traveler I

Looks like you're building more of a crawler than an overlanding rig. Not necessarily a bad thing, mine is a hybrid crawler/expedition rig as well but just something I noticed.

Watch that front axle with 37s. Even if it's better than the JK families front axles, it's still going to be the first thing that fails if you wheel it hard on big heavy 37's. (You might want another Prorock in the future).

Overall a nice rig though. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

Reactions: SwampcatJeep

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Looks like you're building more of a crawler than an overlanding rig. Not necessarily a bad thing, mine is a hybrid crawler/expedition rig as well but just something I noticed.

Watch that front axle with 37s. Even if it's better than the JK families front axles, it's still going to be the first thing that fails if you wheel it hard on big heavy 37's. (You might want another Prorock in the future).

Overall a nice rig though. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.
Yeah, I'm trying my best to balance the build, favoring more of the overlanding aspects. I'm mulling over suspension options now, and having a hard time making final decisions on that. With the JK, I went too far in the crawler direction, so I'm looking to avoid that with this one.

So far, folks who have wheeled their JLs way harder than I ever will (with 37s and stock drivetrain) have reported excellent performance and no breakages. But with it being such a new platform, it's too early to tell. Another ProRock may be in my future, you're right about that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

TheRubiconLife

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, GA
Member #

I think I follow you on Instagram. Good looking Jeep. I have a 2018 JLUR, with the 2" Mopar/Fox shocks lift and 37s. We are new to the overland scene, but we are excited to get going. We have had Jeep wranglers since 2014 so we are not new to the Jeep life. I think you can have a balance between rock crawling and overland. Maybe instead of 37 I would get 35s, but with the 37s I am getting 15.5 mph city. I was getting 13.5 with my 2014, JKUR on 35s. Well good luck on your build and maybe we will see you out there someday.

Reactions: SwampcatJeep

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I think I follow you on Instagram. Good looking Jeep. I have a 2018 JLUR, with the 2" Mopar/Fox shocks lift and 37s. We are new to the overland scene, but we are excited to get going. We have had Jeep wranglers since 2014 so we are not new to the Jeep life. I think you can have a balance between rock crawling and overland. Maybe instead of 37 I would get 35s, but with the 37s I am getting 15.5 mph city. I was getting 13.5 with my 2014, JKUR on 35s. Well good luck on your build and maybe we will see you out there someday.
Hey what's up?! Yeah I follow you as well. Nice rig!

Yeah I could have gone with 35s I suppose, but 37s just feels right to me. I've been getting 17-18 mpg hwy (unloaded), so I'm not complaining, haha.

I'm glad you posted here. Reminds me I need to update this thread.

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
MOPAR Tire Carrier and Tailgate Reinforcement Bracket, OB Badges, Swampcat Hood Decals
IMG_20180519_214337_859.jpg IMG_20180602_203002.jpg IMG_20180602_203033.jpg IMG_20180602_203052.jpg

Last edited:

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
WARN Zeon 12S Platinum and WARN Winch Plate for MOPAR Steel bumper
IMG_5891.jpg IMG_5905.jpg IMG_5865.JPG

Last edited:

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Metalcloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift with Teraflex Falcon 2.1 Series shocks...
IMG_5949.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20180705151021018_COVER.jpg IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6331.jpg IMG_6424.jpg IMG_20180729_110916.jpg IMG_20180729_114654.jpg

Last edited: