sibs1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great Falls, MT, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Sibley
Looking to start building my 2018 JGC Trailhawk this month, but not sure what’s the first thing to upgrade.

Any recommendations on where to start? I have picked out the RRO Tire-2-Tire kicker sliders for the rock rails but haven’t ordered yet. Not sure if that is a good place to start or if I should knock out wheels/tires first...

Any advice on tire size/brand and what type of rims fit?

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate the help! 103021

Contributor I

Melbourne VIC, Australia
First Name
Campbell
Last Name
Sneddon
I’d say wheels/tyres and suspension are a good place to start but it all depends what you want to do with the car? Where do you think it needs improving for what you want to do with it? Do you need more grip, more clearance, more protection, more light, comms, camping equipment, fuel range...

It’s your rig.id say to add what fits your needs.

Nice shot btw.

Reactions: DanMetiv

sibs1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great Falls, MT, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Sibley
I’d say wheels/tyres and suspension are a good place to start but it all depends what you want to do with the car? Where do you think it needs improving for what you want to do with it? Do you need more grip, more clearance, more protection, more light, comms, camping equipment, fuel range...

It’s your rig.id say to add what fits your needs.

Nice shot btw.
Thanks for the input. I’m in mid-Montana and get into the mountains for daily drives almost every weekend (where there isn’t snow). Most trails/roads are rocky and muddy I love the ride and want to keep from doing too much damage, if possible.

I’m worried about going after the suspension since it has the QuadraII air suspension.

Reactions: DanMetiv

Contributor III

AR, USA
I too am starting to build out my 2018 Grand Cherokee trailhawk. I personally started with Chief's transmission plate, sump plate, lower guard, and hidden winch. I plan to be out on my own so protection and self recovery was a must.

Also, as a heads up.... The grand Cherokee has a plastic transmission pan. Even with the factory plates that come with the trailhawk there is no real protection for the plastic transmission pan. Which I think is the silliest thing I've seen on an "off-road" focused vehicle.

My next planned upgrade will be a true full size wheel (same as factory wheels) and 32" tires. That would give me about an extra inch of ground clearance and better traction. New spare to be mounted on a hitch holder.

Again, my focus/thinking being I'm out there most likely alone so I want to reduce the risk of getting stranded. I'll also be studying up on ham radios.

From there it's what I feel I need. My '18 trailhawk only has 16k miles so I'm trusting the air suspension for now; however, Rocky Road Outfitters do offer a coil spring replacement for the quadralift air suspension. That is being keep in the back of the mind for a year or so down the road. At some point the system will fall.

Reactions: sibs1

sibs1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great Falls, MT, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Sibley
I too am starting to build out my 2018 Grand Cherokee trailhawk. I personally started with Chief's transmission plate, sump plate, lower guard, and hidden winch. I plan to be out on my own so protection and self recovery was a must.

Also, as a heads up.... The grand Cherokee has a plastic transmission pan. Even with the factory plates that come with the trailhawk there is no real protection for the plastic transmission pan. Which I think is the silliest thing I've seen on an "off-road" focused vehicle.

My next planned upgrade will be a true full size wheel (same as factory wheels) and 32" tires. That would give me about an extra inch of ground clearance and better traction. New spare to be mounted on a hitch holder.

Again, my focus/thinking being I'm out there most likely alone so I want to reduce the risk of getting stranded. I'll also be studying up on ham radios.

From there it's what I feel I need. My '18 trailhawk only has 16k miles so I'm trusting the air suspension for now; however, Rocky Road Outfitters do offer a coil spring replacement for the quadralift air suspension. That is being keep in the back of the mind for a year or so down the road. At some point the system will fall.
Thanks for the reply! That was one route I was thinking to take because most of the time we are out alone also. Biggest fear is getting stuck. Definitely going with the Chief setup on the front end.

Goatleg84

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
gottlieb
Last Name
Leonard
Member #

I am in much the same position, just picked up a 19 grand Cherokee trailhawk. I am looking at a gobi rack and tent as my first mods. Picture is from delivery day.

jeep.jpg

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
I'm not sure how you can go about a lift with the air suspension, that is one thing that turned me away from the GC and more to the Cherokee. I don't know if they make a programmer or something that locks the suspension in the full up position or if you can retrofit the non-air components and go with Dobinson's or RRO's lift. Rails, skid plates, winch would be the things I'd look towards, not in any particular order. That plastic transmission pan sounds really lame though, like, really!? Beautiful rigs, very capable systems. Looking forward to seeing more of them built up.

Goatleg84

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
gottlieb
Last Name
Leonard
Member #

I don't think I am going to lift it, not yet anyway. I am looking at some armor, at least it came with rock rails. Maybe I will come across something at overland expo east.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
There is a DIY air link that you can make to trick the computer to raise/lower the ride height, only thing is that the higher you go the rougher the ride will be with limited travel. Would be great to level the QC, if that is to your liking.

Quadralift lowering/leveling/lifting Links DIY