2017 Land Cruiser LC200

• HTML tutorial

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just starting to put a few things together. Starting out slow to only modify what I need.

The vehicle is a 2017 LC200 I bought new from a dealership in Indiana. Got it for about 10k below retail. Everything stock currently.

First thing I purchased was a Treeline Rooftop Tent with discount during black friday - Redwood. Haven't even opened it yet, winter...

https://treelineoutdoors.com/collections/4-5-person-tent/products/redwood-constellation-4-5-person-tent

Next I wanted a good rack and tires.

Really was torn between KO2s and Duratracs. Go over passes a lot so the triple peak rating was important. Ended up with KO2s. I don't know if it was the right answer, but thats what I have for now.

Here is a pic with new KO2's. Really nice addition compared to OEM tires.
Size - 285-65-18. No current issues.
Ride quality -
  • feels more rigid compared to stock
  • I think handling is a bit improved
  • Minimal change in highway road noise
  • So far great in snow. Have not taken them off road yet. Moab trip in March...

I put Nitto G2s on my wife LX570, those seem to do great as well. Will be curious head to head snow comparison.

Next the rack.

Notice she has a haircut. That was an ordeal. BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE STOCK RACK. SLOW EVEN PRESSURE ON THE TANDEM BOLTS . DO NOT GET AGGRESSIVE OR YOU ARE SCREWED. I.E. HEADLINER HAS TO COMES OUT TO REMOVE BRACKET ASSEMBLY IF YOU BREAK IT.

Those are the rails for the K9 rack. Ordered from Equipt1 from Paul May. I will post completion pics.

K9 2.2M x 1400mm Roof Rack System for Toyota Land Cruiser 200

First impressions
  • Its huge which I wanted. I have the Treeline Redwood RTT which is huge and will house a family of five. Those Pics and review to come.
  • Aluminum and rack is welded. Many threads on the K9 vs FrontRunner which is what I was torn between...
  • Had to bend the rails a bit to get to lay right. Dry fit first to be sure it will not bulge anywhere
  • Great build quality
  • Rock solid
  • Powder coat pretty good, not perfect but close
  • If you have OCD a bit of a pain to get it all centered and mounted
  • Wind noise is present at 70+. A slight whistle I am going to try and find...
  • All parts present, packaged well
  • Fits the 2017 LC200 perfect
  • OF NOTE, the little wing on the back roof does not allow for the table slide at this point. I think Paul is working on something for that but not sure... The frontrunner table slide I don't think would work either
I am not much of a writer so I will stop there. If questions let me know.

Now on to a fridge and dual battery I think...

Attachments

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Apparently our overland vehicle budgets are vastly different. :)

That Landcruiser will make a very nice overland rig though. Expedition overland used one for their most recent season. Check them out on YouTube if you haven't already come across them.

Reactions: Tex68w and SWSteury

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

Apparently our overland vehicle budgets are vastly different. :)

That Landcruiser will make a very nice overland rig though. Expedition overland used one for their most recent season. Check them out on YouTube if you haven't already come across them.
Thanks. I am going to try and keep it is my daily driver. Yes expedition overland has a great series.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
200 series - what a great platform. But you knew that. What motor does she have? I’m wondering if the North American versions are much different than the Euro. I’ve got a Euro LC KDJ150 3.0 diesel. The 150 is similar to the Lexus gx450 platform In N. America I think. I like the KO2s. Once my Cooper AT3s are done, I’ll probably go for the same. The Coopers could be better in the snow. Looking forward to some further updates of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

5.7-Liter DOHC 32-Valve V8 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 381 hp @ 5600 rpm; 401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

It is a gas guzzler and has a small tank at only 24.6 gallons. Typical average mileage is about 15-17 mpg.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Okay, we can have the V8 in the 4.5 liter diesel or the 4.6 liter benzin. Regarding the small tank, in Europe our spare is under-body instead of on the rear door. Relocating the spare to a bumper carrier would allow for a extra tank where the spare was. An alternative is to import a rear door from Australia for the spare.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Congrats! Thats the rig we wanted to bring home, but in the end we decided to hold out until the 300 series drops here in a year or two. I'll definitely be following along on this build.

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

tbisaacs

Rank III

Advocate I

Renton, WA
Member #

Will you be parked the whole time? If so, no. I’ve ran mine overnight (with the battery protection set to “high”) without issue.

I’ve since moved to a Goal Zero Yeti 400. If I’m driving a lot I’ll top off the yeti with the factory inverter. When parked I have a 100w solar panel on top.

You can see yeti tucked beside fridge

Panel mounted to factory cross bars

I ran an ARB 50 for 11 days continuously with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SWSteury

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice I have been considering the Goal Zero stuff as an option, good to see it works in this context.

Is that the 400 lithium version?

Do you use the stock battery in your LX or have you gone to AGM?

Great looking dog!

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I'm curious why the rack needs 10 attachment points to the roof, seems like overkill. Is there increased wind noise without a deflector?

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

There is a deflector, solid aluminum. You can see it barely on the second picture. Yes there is some wind noise, but not as much as you think. Mainly hear it when get to 70+ mph. I wanted something super solid because of the size of the tent. May be overkill, but I like how rock solid it is. We'll see how it works out on the first trip.

Reactions: v_man

tbisaacs

Rank III

Advocate I

Renton, WA
Member #