Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

DSC06082.jpg
Opening:
I just got the word that the order is finalized and will finally be joining the Jeep family and starting a build. A little backstory I am originally from Ohio but due to serving with the Air Force I have been overseas for some time. While in Okinawa I did not pull the trigger due to not being able to bring it over, and then when I got orders to the UK the plan was to purchase either a diesel Jeep or to do a Defender build. However, I got here settled and started to learn quickly that diesel Jeeps can't come home to the states whenever I make it back. On top of that the Defenders that could are few and far between due to galvanized chassis, not being old enough, not being well cared for, or having too many miles for the cost. This pretty much left me SOL and without options as far as a used Jeep went. Enter deployment! Due to the awesome tasking, I am able to put 6k down on a Big Bear and have another 6-8k for a nice opening spree of mods! The build will be focused around Overlanding and maybe even eventual living/Vanlife when I make it stateside for a nice long roadtrip. I am a photographer and really enjoy the landscape aspect of things so I will be building things out to allow me to stay on location longer and go deeper off the beaten path to capture those sights usually only seen by a few eyes. As it stands now the Jeep is expected to land over in the UK when I get back almost perfectly timed around July/August! I will not hold my breath as who knows what could come up to shorten or extend that timeframe though. All said I am super excited and will be starting the thread now to get some help with a few questions as far as part compatibility goes before pulling the trigger on some initial purchases and to give you guys an idea of what the Jeep will eventually become!

Stock Options:
Black Exterior and Interior
6-Speed MAN
3.73 Gearing
"Big Bear Package" (Mostly visual upgrades, some decent wheels and tires, and the connectivity group)
Body Color Hard Top (Don't Hate)
LED Lighting Group (Have heard great things)

What is Done Now: 10 Apr 21
Weathertech Rainguards F/R
ARB Diff Covers
Series Defender - Rear Window Vents
Drake Offroad - Handle Inserts
AMI - Stubby Antenna
Grab Bars USA
Vector Offroad- Dash Dock with RAM Mounts
AEV Snorkel w/prefilter & ARB Diff Breathers
RIGID CHASE 3rd brake light
Recon LED smoked turn signals
ARB Stubby Front Bumper
AEV 4.5 DualSport Lift
AEV Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier and Fuel Caddy
Tom Woods Driveshafts
4.88 Gearing Upgrade
Blue Ridge Overland cargo netting, seat backs, grab handle storage
Front Runner Slimline II Rack
License Plate Delete
RhinoRack Batwing
Rear Seats Removed
x5 Black Rhino - Arsenal Wheels
x5 35x12.5R17 BFG KM3
Custom Drawer/Sleeping System
Front Runner interior Shelf
SPOD Bantam
ARB Dual Compressor
5 BAJA LP9 on the windshield
2 Amber BAJA LP9 on bumper
WARN 12k Synthetic
Factor55 ultrahook
ARB Elements Fridge
IKamper Mini
Max Trax X2
JW Speaker Rear Lights

CURRENT QUESTION(S):
Move to 4.5 Overland Springs?

Dream Sheet:
James Baroud - Insulation Kit
Rebel Offroad Blackout Kit (Storage setup with lighting)
Poison Spyder - Brawler Rockers
Metal Cloak Fenders
ACE - Inner Fenders
Backup Camera
Magnaflow - Pro Series Catback (more for clearance and less space taken up not the sound)
Better shocks/suspension overlook as things are getting rougher with the time and weight probably go BP-51 or fox

Huge thanks to more than a few users here and on other forums who have been inspiring the build!

Last edited:

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Not on topic, but your landscape photography is beautiful. Can't wait to see some pics of the rig.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I have a rhino rack backbone kit with pioneer platform as you are considering. I have it mounted to a 2 door though rather than a jku. That being said the platform is very strong and able to support 800 lbs static to my understanding. From comparing the two it looks like the Maximus 3 rack uses their own mounting system, but borrows the rhino rack pioneer platform. AEV also has a rack where they mount a different way, but still use the rhino rack platform. I'm not as knowledgeable on the Maximus but on the rhino rack backbone kit the supports run down along the inside of the hardtop, I can post a photo or two if that would help as the rear mounts are the same. The disadvantage of this is if you decide to take the hardtop off, you can not mount the rack alone. The AEV has brackets that mount to the rollbar, and from what I've read on other forms it seems you can still mount the rack even if the hardtop is off. When looking at the photos of the Maximus 3 it appears similar to the AEV.

Now onto RTTs. The platform I have is smaller but I still plan to mount an RTT in the next few weeks. It's able to support it and many have done it before me. When I initially had this question I found answers on other forms that you can, and I believe all 3 of the tents you listed would work. I know some people said you may have to drill a hole or two I your platform to mount it but there are ways to avoid that. This is not my photo I found it on expedition portal, but it is an AEV rack with pioneer platform (looks almost identical to backbone set up from outside) with a James Baroud.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Not on topic, but your landscape photography is beautiful. Can't wait to see some pics of the rig.
Thanks for the love man! Excited to do a proper shoot of it as well, outside of landscapes I make some money shooting automotive so the Jeep pics should be pretty legendary. Its maiden voyage will probably up to Skye, over to Snowdonia, or down to Dorset area for a shoot!

Reactions: TGF

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

I have a rhino rack backbone kit with pioneer platform as you are considering. I have it mounted to a 2 door though rather than a jku. That being said the platform is very strong and able to support 800 lbs static to my understanding. From comparing the two it looks like the Maximus 3 rack uses their own mounting system, but borrows the rhino rack pioneer platform. AEV also has a rack where they mount a different way, but still use the rhino rack platform. I'm not as knowledgeable on the Maximus but on the rhino rack backbone kit the supports run down along the inside of the hardtop, I can post a photo or two if that would help as the rear mounts are the same. The disadvantage of this is if you decide to take the hardtop off, you can not mount the rack alone. The AEV has brackets that mount to the rollbar, and from what I've read on other forms it seems you can still mount the rack even if the hardtop is off. When looking at the photos of the Maximus 3 it appears similar to the AEV.

Now onto RTTs. The platform I have is smaller but I still plan to mount an RTT in the next few weeks. It's able to support it and many have done it before me. When I initially had this question I found answers on other forms that you can, and I believe all 3 of the tents you listed would work. I know some people said you may have to drill a hole or two I your platform to mount it but there are ways to avoid that. This is not my photo I found it on expedition portal, but it is an AEV rack with pioneer platform (looks almost identical to backbone set up from outside) with a James Baroud.

Appreciate the info! Done the research weight wise so I know both systems would support the weight without issue have seen how the frame sets up with the backbone and love that. Good info on the AEV/RR/Maximus differences will probably order the backbone and then snag a ladder from Maximus 3 as they have to mount up to the pioneer plat! Big thank you on the photo though! The discovery is 79" and doesn't seem to stick off the platform and look horrid or unevenly supported and that was my main concern with the RR.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Appreciate the info! Done the research weight wise so I know both systems would support the weight without issue have seen how the frame sets up with the backbone and love that. Good info on the AEV/RR/Maximus differences will probably order the backbone and then snag a ladder from Maximus 3 as they have to mount up to the pioneer plat! Big thank you on the photo though! The discovery is 79" and doesn't seem to stick off the platform and look horrid or unevenly supported and that was my main concern with the RR.
No problem, good luck with the build!

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forest Lake, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

Rack
I also have the backbone rack system and have had a a RTT mounted. When researching I found it to be the best for strength with a good low profile.

Solar
If your looking at portable solar generators check out the Solarpod.

Paint Colour
I have a black JKU which is used offroad, its the worse colour ro show up cratches. Have paint protection added at new. You can get a ceramic type coating which will stop the pin stripping down the black paint.

Sent from my SM-G900I using OB Talk mobile app

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Rack
I also have the backbone rack system and have had a a RTT mounted. When researching I found it to be the best for strength with a good low profile.

Solar
If your looking at portable solar generators check out the Solarpod.

Paint Colour
I have a black JKU which is used offroad, its the worse colour ro show up cratches. Have paint protection added at new. You can get a ceramic type coating which will stop the pin stripping down the black paint.
Thanks for the heads up on the paint, how much does it run?

Will check out Solarpod as well!

RTT wise I know I can mount a usual one honestly at this point really hoping I can find someone whos mounted an Alucab on a regular hard top. I think I am pretty set on going with it and would love to know how its going to look!

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Thats why it's a wish list. Not always practical. :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using OB Talk mobile app
Fair point hahaha. After seeing OK4WDs build on expedition portal I have found out that the shadow awn is rather large but luckily they make mounts for the rhino rack. I am pretty sure the Gobi is out, it's going to be a slicker, quieter look with the AEV/Maximus 3/RhinoRack setup and it should accommodate any RTT I am considering!

Reactions: Rolasolar

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Have just hammered all 41 pages of this build after someone helped me out with the link on expedition portal. Man it is right up my alley as far as what I am looking to do and he even mounted the expedition 3 at one point for R&D so I am going to be getting ahold of Rin to discuss options and looks, as I do love his color matched JB and the shadowawn mount he is currently running. Initial buy might be modified now to be a RTT and roof rack with excess funds going to either the full 100% delete Goose Gear setup or full front bumper and winch. This will get me camping and able to stay on locations right off the bat and then the rest of the list I can pretty much purchase an item or two each month until the tire upgrade is ready and with that I think I will be going to the 4" OME lift now, Wheels and Tires, and the Poison Spyder fenders all in one go. Also considering going to the BP-51s now after reading Rins thread. I love the 3.5" on 35s look he has but he is also rocking stock fenders while I plan to go for the Poison Spyders and they are more of a high clearance look so the debate between 2" and 4" OME continues about as much as the RTT battle does.

3805B644-4525-4F90-A7B8-34330AFB0A71_zpsw5sz7ssb.jpg.jpg

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Snuck in some night shots and if you look close you can see I managed to get my badge on just under the trail rated jeep one.

Waiting on Alu-Cabs restock in Europe come next month and then the Expedition 3 gets mounted!

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forest Lake, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

Thanks for the heads up on the paint, how much does it run?

Will check out Solarpod as well!

RTT wise I know I can mount a usual one honestly at this point really hoping I can find someone whos mounted an Alucab on a regular hard top. I think I am pretty set on going with it and would love to know how its going to look!
Not sure on the cost of the paint protection as I haven't had the treatment yet, a quality car detailer should be able to help with a quote.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Took it out and got it muddy Sunday. Mostly photo dump! If all goes to plan the rack and tent should mount by next month! Also hit 1k miles right before that first image was snapped! What a way to break in the new Jeep right!

Last edited:

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Love how those photos turned out, would you mind sharing what your camera and lens combo is? I'm in the market for a new lens and these are fantastic photos!