Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Alrighty, this should be fun. Before anyone asks, yes I thought about getting a Wrangler instead. There are tons of reasons why I chose the Renegade, but that's a story for another time/thread. I also thought about getting a Renegade Trailhawk, but did not. Also a story for another time/thread.

In September of '17 I picked up my new daily driver, my first off-road vehicle, and my designated adventure-mobile. 2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 with what is called the "Altitude" package - basically a bunch of black where there is normally chrome, nicer seats, and more electronic gadgets. It matches my designated fun-mobile, and I like nice seats and electronic gadgets in a daily driver...it was a shoe-in purchase for me.

My mission is clear: build a vehicle that helps me quench my desire for exploration and adventure while remaining a sensible daily driver that won't make my clients and coworkers recoil in the parking garage and call an Uber. Also it needs to fit in as many parking garages as possible.

To that end, I made a generic build plan with three phases:
  1. Camp Ready
  2. Trail Ready
  3. Overland Ready (just kidding. Camp Ready + Trail Ready = Overland Ready)
...and immediately got to work researching. This vehicle came to market not even 3 years ago, so the aftermarket community is really just beginning to pick up steam.

This will be a running thread, as I'm nowhere near completion of this build.

Here's what I've done so far (in a somewhat chronological order):

Camping Stuff
  • Yakima "Load Warrior" roof basket - turns out this is going to be way more useful as a trail thing, because...
  • Smittybilt "Overlander" RTT - I dig it
  • WeatherTech floor and cargo mats - barely used, less than half-price
  • A convenient subfloor compartment [thanks, Jeep] full of axes, machetes, shovels, ratchet tie-downs, and bungees
  • Basic arrangement of one 18gal Rubbermaid and one Yeti 35 that all fits nicely in the rear - I will be building my own slide drawer for the cooler and drawers to replace the bin in the near future
Trail Stuff
2-way with CB-style remote mic/speaker - works for now, will definitely upgrade eventually
some Quick Fist mounts on the basket for shovel/axe, whatever I need to bring that day

Currently Taking Up Space in my House Awaiting this Weekend's Big Install Day

• BFG KO2 255/55/18 - about as big as it gets without major mods
  • 1.25" Rugged Ridge spacers (yes, hubcentric) - needed to clear struts in the front and to rectify the fact that the Renegade looks like a kid wearing skinny jeans in the rear
  • A laundry list of parts to convert to the Trailhawk front bumper, and Trailhawk front and rear recovery hooks. Generally, a bumper cover, three incredibly beefy recover hooks, front and rear impact bars, a bunch of brackets, a TON of bolts, some miscellaneous clips, and countless hours of sweat and tears pouring over some of the worst factory part diagrams I've ever seen in my life and then scouring the internet for new and used parts. I'm sure the blood will come during this weekend's installation.
Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You
  • Underbody armor: ATP motor/trans skid and center carrier bearing/exhaust skid. Their rear diff skid is in prototyping right now, so that will come, as well.
  • More recovery/trail gear: a hi-lift, an ARB snatch strap, some traction boards (brand TBD)
  • Auxillary lighting: a 38-40" lightbar (brand TBD), probably single-row
Down the Line
  • More armor: Rocky Road Outfitters makes some real nice sliders for the Renegade, but I have a fabricator on-board and willing to take a shot at building some, instead. TBD.
  • More auxillary lighting: I have some ideas to build some cubes into the euro-only rear reflectors which have a clear center, which would be nice for late-night forest road maneuvers.
  • Interior gear storage: build the aforementioned drawer and slider system. Really on the fence about this one, but will most likely end up doing it because I like building stuff.
  • Exterior gear storage: at some point I'd like to come up with solutions to get one jerry can or rotopax mounted (you would not believe how small this thing's fuel tank is), and a hi-lift and shovel. This will likely require me to break out the calipers and computer and design mounts myself that I can send to a buddy's shop for manufacture. Far less exciting than it may sound.

Anyways, here are some pics. I'll update after the weekend installations.

RPR_01.jpg RPR_02.jpg RPR_03.jpg RPR_04.jpg RPR_05.jpg RPR_06.jpg RPR_07.jpg RPR_08.jpg

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Awesome! I was surprised at all of the Renegades I saw roaming various National Parks last summer... and as my wrangler approached 13 mpgs against the wind on Route 66 I became a little envious. I’m interested to see how the project evolves and how far you push it on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: F8OO
S

SubeeBen

Been there done that . Had a 2016 Wrangler 4door that was a lemon & had high consideration of a buying a renegade but needed the power of the 3.6 L. Nice to see your build & will follow your progress. Good job & best of wishes

justjohnthomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orofino, Idaho
Member #

We really enjoyed our Renegade Trailhawk for what it was. Good little runner for the weekend and good for back and forth to work during the week. However needed a larger vehicle for the family, but for the 2 years we had 'Frank the Mini Tank' it served us well for double duty. Looking forward to your build and adventures!FB_IMG_1520484381707.jpgFB_IMG_1520484389534.jpg

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

been busy, with the Jeep and with actual work. Pretty much on the same plan as outlined above, but going with bottle jacks instead of a hilift. Got my tires mounted, got my skidplates in, bought a set of X-Bull recovery boards and, conveniently, had to use them the next day during a forest cleanup with FWC. Moving on to lighting next, stay tuned.

3.jpg 4.jpg IMG_2528.JPG parts.jpg front.jpg mid.jpg third.jpg all.jpg

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Awesome build thus far! How are you enjoying the Renegade? Any thoughts on lift?
thank you. I am really loving it..as a daily driver it's small and fuel efficient enough to make sense and it's surprisingly capable off road, for what it is. So far it's been enough to take me everywhere I want to go, so no complaints for me.

Since you asked about lift, though, I'd say the first and main issue the Renegade has off road is ground clearance, so I am thinking about a slight lift. I am going to swap the ladder on my RTT to the lower profile telescopic from a Tepui tent and then measure how much clearance I have getting in and out of the garage fully loaded. Then I'll decide on what to do..probably just Eibach lift springs (1", and cheap), but maybe I'll get enough clearance to do a 2 or 2.5" kit.

Reactions: AZAdventurer

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Where did you get all the trailhawk parts? I’m going to want to add some of them to my own Renegade.
I cobbled them together between a guy who replaced his front with a steel bumper and new parts from the dealer. It ended up being way more work and parts than I thought, even after spending a lot of time looking at part diagrams for the differences. FCA's part diagrams are atrocious compared to what I'm used to (BMW).

Reactions: F8OO

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

Great build thread! I purchased an Anvil 2017 Sport nearly one year ago. I'm so happy with it, I really love it as a daily driver. I'm taking it from Toronto to San Francisco to New Orleans and back home this August.

Cheers

JPMike

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Altoona, Pa
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hite
Member #

I’ve looked at these and thought they wouldn’t be a bad little mild off-roader, and still be a comfortable daily driver. When Jeep started building these crossovers, I thought Jeepers will hate them. Some do, but I think they opened up a new crowd to the outdoors. Nice build, looks like it works well to.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

hamiltonj2w1

Rank 0

Traveler I

been busy, with the Jeep and with actual work. Pretty much on the same plan as outlined above, but going with bottle jacks instead of a hilift. Got my tires mounted, got my skidplates in, bought a set of X-Bull recovery boards and, conveniently, had to use them the next day during a forest cleanup with FWC. Moving on to lighting next, stay tuned.

How do you like those ATP Skids? Did they go on fairly well your the first person I have seen who is running them. We are modding my wifes 17 Renegade Altitude as well and its getting lifted this Friday with the Terraflex kit. We also ditched the 18's and went down to 16's with w 225/70/16. Can't decide on sliders though between daystar or rockyroad offroad.

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

I like the ATP skids package. The engine/transmission skid is very heavy and is a two person job unless you can bench press a small child with one hand and wrench with the other. I do wish the front plate had an access hatch for oil changes, so I will likely have a machine shop work with me on that one soon. My dealer was nice enough to not charge extra, but for their sake I'd like to make it easier in the future.

hamiltonj2w1

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like the ATP skids package. The engine/transmission skid is very heavy and is a two person job unless you can bench press a small child with one hand and wrench with the other. I do wish the front plate had an access hatch for oil changes, so I will likely have a machine shop work with me on that one soon. My dealer was nice enough to not charge extra, but for their sake I'd like to make it easier in the future.
Do you have any pictures on how it blocks out the plug and filter for oil changes by chance? When we get them I may just modify them prior to install.