Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Howdy alll, getting my bfg all terrains 285/70/70 tires mounted on my Jeep Jku 2/25 . Question is I have a teraflex 2.5 “ lift so no worries on tire clearance. I have stock rear tire mount will it clear stock bumper & brake lite. Haven’t got the new rear bumper yet but needed tires first. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ben.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I am running a similar size as you for 120k now on my JKU (first Copper STTs, and now Dick Cepek MTs), and am using the stock fire carrier with new rubber stops that shall stop the wobbling between the spare and the tailgate (however you call those things).

After 100k with the E-rated tire on the back, the tailgate hinges wore out and it started to rattle. I bought the MoRyde heavy duty tailgate hinges with the tailgate reinforcement and now everything is super solid. I still use the stock carrier, which easily carries the weight, but the weight is now on the reinforcement/hinges and not on the tailgate itself. Which means that the danger of breaking welds inside the tailgate, as I read some of other Jeeps showed, is now gone.

So nothing to worry about for now, but something you might want to keep in mind. The installation was super easy with regular hand tools and a can of spray paint - the body is not painted underneath the stock hinges...

14677216_1150923971654804_6034879777632944128_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SubeeBen and Jedi

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Awesome thank you Rolando. Greatly appreciate the info. Will be ordering a new rear bumper/ swing out tire carrier at the beginning of the month. Thanks again for the info.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

D3557AB2-2D75-4D35-BC97-248697375DF7.jpeg B1290041-6767-4334-9207-0D0D2AE4FD49.jpeg 51B3A142-B01A-4F42-9E00-B1D70A571984.jpeg CB140D27-E75C-4EA6-ADDE-4DE7B9B7046C.jpeg Soo stoked. Got my new 285/70/17 BFG all terrains & love them. Still fit with stock bumper/ bump stops. Still able to keep stock 3rd brake light. Only bummer is I had to remove c/b antenna mount. No biggy I will fab up anew one. Absolutely 0 difference in gas mileage, still has the same power & shifting also. I am not endorsed or discounted or such but the guys at San Diego Tire & Wheel outlet absolutely rock. Saved myself almost $ 500 compared to discount tire or tire rack & I was in & out in 40 minutes. Edit to post C/B antenna mount was ok. Have about 1/16” between tire & antenna so everything worked out all is good .

Last edited:
Reactions: MLGrace

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Awesome thank you Rolando. Greatly appreciate the info. Will be ordering a new rear bumper/ swing out tire carrier at the beginning of the month. Thanks again for the info.
You're welcome. I decided against a combined bumper/carrier because that is another thing to open and close vs. a reinforced hinge setup and reusing the stock carrier. Typically it is not the tire carrier that gives way, and the stock one is solid.

Reactions: SubeeBen

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

You're welcome. I decided against a combined bumper/carrier because that is another thing to open and close vs. a reinforced hinge setup and reusing the stock carrier. Typically it is not the tire carrier that gives way, and the stock one is solid.
Gotcha. Yes wife reminded me how I complained (bitched) :) about the bumper/ swing out tire carrier combo I had on my 2016 Jku (lemon) . Thanks for reminding me ha ha & thanks again for the info.