2017 Jeep jku roof rack recomdations

• HTML tutorial
S

SubeeBen

Good evening all. Had the the smittybilt src mounted which at the time seemed good but plans have changed. Looking for any input on a good solid platform rack such as front runner slim line. Initial plans were rtt on the smittybiltbilt but am going towards a base camp trailer with rtt on trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way for sale smittybilt src rack is for sale for any reasonable offer & will help install as well. Thanks , JkuBen.338AFAAA-7E99-405C-8FA3-069F62E1B5F6.jpeg

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

So you're wanting to go the trailer route, and now I'm thinking I want to go to roof rack and Freespirit Adventure Series hardshell power tent. What are you thinking of doing for a trailer? I do really like my Morris Mule trailer, but I want the option to not have to take the trailer and still have a RTT. I'm looking at the Gobi myself. Really like the style of it, and not having to drill through the hardtop.

S

SubeeBen

So you're wanting to go the trailer route, and now I'm thinking I want to go to roof rack and Freespirit Adventure Series hardshell power tent. What are you thinking of doing for a trailer? I do really like my Morris Mule trailer, but I want the option to not have to take the trailer and still have a RTT. I'm looking at the Gobi myself. Really like the style of it, and not having to drill through the hardtop.
I am building a Morris style trailer similar to ArkansasDon’s trailer for a base camp so I do not have to pack up the rtt to go explore. Basically trailer will be a base camp. Not into the gobi rack at all plus the wait time & customer service is horrible as I have heard. No experience though. Love the smittybilt src rack but the so called powder coat is les then a krylon spray paint job. Have a good friend that owns a powder coating shop here in San Diego but my point is if your paying for a professional built product with a superior coating I am going to hold that company accountable to their claims. Just my 2 cents sorry to ramble on

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I am building a Morris style trailer similar to ArkansasDon’s trailer for a base camp so I do not have to pack up the rtt to go explore. Basically trailer will be a base camp. Not into the gobi rack at all plus the wait time & customer service is horrible as I have heard. No experience though. Love the smittybilt src rack but the so called powder coat is les then a krylon spray paint job. Have a good friend that owns a powder coating shop here in San Diego but my point is if your paying for a professional built product with a superior coating I am going to hold that company accountable to their claims. Just my 2 cents sorry to ramble on

@ArkansasDon does some great stuff! His last trailer that he sold was a beauty!

I can totally relate to having the trailer set up as basecamp and just being able to go-it's so convenient!

Gobi's wait time and their lack of responding is a HUGE turnoff, but I really like their racks. Looking for a used one at the moment.

The only experience I have with Smitty is their rear spare tire basket. So far, so good....no issues. The finish was actually nice on it.