Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

As to not clutter up my previous build thread for the now departed H3, I have created a new thread to document the building of our 4Runner.
The beginning:
Two weeks ago, I began to notice that the H3 started to detoriate and started to become unreliable due to its age and the move from Delaware to South Dakota. It didn't like the more elevated environment here and the higher speeds compared to the flatness of the coast. Maintenance began to become a burden due to its increased frequency and since it was 11 years old and Hummer is no longer around, parts are not cheap.
On a whim, I drove by the Toyota dealership to see what they had on the lot and what I could get for a trade in on the H3. I have always loved the 4Runner and you really can't beat the reliability of Japanese vehicles nowadays. It was a toss up between the Tacoma and the 4Runner because of their capabilities, but the Tacoma was dropped because of the lack of room for our two German Shepherds. The dealership gave me an awesome trade in value for the Hummer so I decided now was the time to get a new vehicle before anything happened to it. I had my mind set on the TRD package because it offered everything I wanted for on road and offroad functionality. I also really wanted the Super White color because there are not many in this area in that color and trim package. Lucky, the dealership was receiving the exact model, color and options that I wanted the next week. Talk about coincidence! I started the paperwork and a week later...IMG_2040.JPG IMG_2039.JPG... it arrived!
Current point:
That evening I ordered a full length standard BajaRack and the ladder. I also ordered a set of C4 Fabrication sliders for it. (Convinced the fiancée that they are better than running boards because they provide more protection and can be used as a step ) She agreed and off went the purchase order. We also ordered a rear cargo area cover to protect the seats and floor from the dogs as well as a center console cover and passenger seat cover, because our oldest German Shepherd likes to ride shotgun. A Nox Lux emblem blackout kit was also added to the purchase. This evening, I transferred the honor of wearing the OB emblem from the H3 to the 4Runner. IMG_2043.JPG
Future mods:
The overall goal of this build is to be comfortable driving cross country and to be able to hit trails and beaches whenever we want, so we are going for a "soft road" approach. Since C4 Fabrication is 10 minutes from my house and I am working a deal with them, their hidden winch mount bumper is going to be ordered this summer when we get back from visiting my family in Indiana. Also will be ordering Shrockworks skidplates and an Icon suspension system. This winter, I plan to purchase some black TRD rims and run BF Goodrich KO2s in 275/70/17.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Reserved for future posts.
Update! Yesterday a package arrived!

The Baja Rack showed up just before I left for school so I didn't have time to install it. I will be putting it on today so pics will be up soon!

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I did look at those this past weekend very nice and pretty roomy for a midsized SUV. I am not sure I would opt for the third row seating though it's pretty much for little ones. Congrats on the 4runner!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Daniel Etter

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Got the Baja Rack installed yesterday morning. Took about 1.5 hours to complete because the instructions were not very good. Luckily there are decent videos online that explain the process a little better. First impressions are positive because it seems to be very sturdy. There is no discernible wind noise below 45mph, but anything above becomes noticeable. I think this is mainly because I have it pushed as far forward so when the ladder comes in, I don't have to move it more than once. Here is an updated pic with the rack installed.

More pics to come when the rest of the parts come in!

Reactions: RainGoat

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Do you have any plans for a lift? If so, what are you looking at ?
I'm going to stick with the stock suspension for awhile and see how it does with what we will be using it for. If I do upgrade, then I'll get the new Old Man Emu suspension.

Reactions: Steve

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Update on the rig:
Picked up my C4 Fabrication sliders yesterday from their new shop. I was drooling over a rear bumper they were making. Also, good news for 5th gen 4RUNNER owners looking at rear bumpers, they plan on making one by the end of the year!
Also, the BajaRack ladder came yesterday!
I was able to install the ladder this morning and should be able to mount the sliders tomorrow since I just finished the semester this evening.
Pics to come soon!

Reactions: RainGoat

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Here are the pictures of the modifications as promised.
C4 Fab sliders installed. Took just over an hour to do both sides by myself and 1 beer. (Note: vehicle does not have kdss)
IMG_2088.JPG
Beer used:
IMG_2087.JPG
As mentioned earlier, I installed the BajaRack ladder the other day. Took 15 minutes to finish because the instructions were much better than the rack install.
IMG_2089.JPG

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

It's been awhile since I've posted on my build (busy with school, work, life). Ordered some stuff for the rig last week, so updates coming soon!

Reactions: A10MileHusker

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Love the rig. White is the perfect color! A lot of white paints have no metallic flake, so it is cheaper to repaint and easy to blend and match.

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

Wow, you are killing it on this build. I have an Off Road with KDSS but I cant get my wallet to play as fast as you can. :) I have the c4 sliders on the way as well and will be putting Wrangler MT/Rs on this fall. We got a free roof box so were going to wait on the rack and ladder. I love the white paint too, but unfortunately a piece of gear lightly dragged over the bumper threshold showed us how delicate that paint is on the bumper. Took a chunk off rather than scratching. Be careful there.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Wow, you are killing it on this build. I have an Off Road with KDSS but I cant get my wallet to play as fast as you can. :) I have the c4 sliders on the way as well and will be putting Wrangler MT/Rs on this fall. We got a free roof box so were going to wait on the rack and ladder. I love the white paint too, but unfortunately a piece of gear lightly dragged over the bumper threshold showed us how delicate that paint is on the bumper. Took a chunk off rather than scratching. Be careful there.
I chipped my bumper too! Dont know how, but in 3 places the paint came off... luckily the lady at the dealership who i bought the truck from likes me. Shes always asking for updates on what ive done to mine. She was nice enough to give me free touch up paint. Doesnt look as good as new, but better than black spots...