Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper
Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper
Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets
@rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts
RSI LED's for regular & high beams
Prinsu Cabrac
Plano 108421 on Cabrac
TRED 1100's on Cabrac
Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8" propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof
Trasharoo
#Beatsonic anytime front camera
@At The Helm bedside reinforcements

INTERIOR:
Warrior Products door sill protectors
Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear
Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front
Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgatemount
Consolevault
Hondo Garage iPhone mount
OverlandSolar 120w solar panel kit
SnoMaster 56D fridge & freezer

Last edited:

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Ugh. Here i sit looking at my new completely stock 2017 Tacoma realizing how much I need/want to do to it like you have to yours. I don't want a bed topper on mine but the other stuff on your truck looks awesome. I'll certainly reference this again in the future. I'm having a real problem deciding on what suspension lift to get.

Reactions: Toynado

Toynado

Rank 0

Traveler I

SF BAY AREA
Member #

One of the big highlights of my build is the custom Tradesman Truck Tops topper. My design centered around the idea of wanting to build a sleep platform with storage underneath. Because of this I chose to have it built 26" above the bed, insulated, carpet lined and a vent put in the roof. They offer several vent options but I chose a basic vent. One nice thing about the basic vent is that without a fan in the way it cranks open wide and doubles as a stargazing window at night. IMG_6054.JPG
FullSizeRender 8.jpg
For the sides Tradesman can do windows, no windows, full length lift doors with windows (windoors) or w/out windows, or side lift tool boxes. On mine I chose for the driver side split in half with one windoor and one toolbox. The windoor has a sliding window with security mesh and the tool box has an internal shelf and dividers and a fold-down shelf that's all carpeted. I've turned the toolbox into my kitchen. On the passenger side is a full length windoor with two sliding windows with security mesh. The windoors, tool box and rear door open wide and I had mine all wired such that when they open they turn on interior LEDs. There is a LED strip inside the top and one LED strip inside the toolbox.IMG_6038.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_6055.JPG
Attention to detail is shown in the reinforced points on each door. If you somehow manage to turn the T-handle when the door is open and then try to close it, the locking rods won't damage the top. Additionally, the locking rods on the T-handles are stout and the reinforced point mean your gear is secure.
IMG_6043.JPG
Another thing to mention is their proprietary door hinges. They are actual full length hinges, not just an open channel that can spread with time & use. FullSizeRender 16.jpg
Tradesman's has various options for the rear - single cargo door, double (ambulance) cargo doors, Full lift door, or half door w/ glass. But here is where their ability to customize made my topper unique. I went with a half door with glass & security mesh and diamond plate panels on each side. On the driver's side I installed a Powertank mount that holds a 8" propane tank and haven't completely decided on what to mount on the passenger side - maybe an on-board water system??
IMG_6159.JPG
I also opted for what they call their Municipal Equipment upgrade that adds reinforced gussets in the corners and extra roof ribs. This upgrade was recommended for off-road use and since I plan on keeping my truck for years I wanted my topper to last as long as my Taco.

Like with the rest of the topper the front wall has a variety of options: a solid wall, a solid window, a sliding window, a fold-down EZ clean window, or what I went with which is a fold-down EZ clean sliding window.

Other upgrades I went with are the ungraded D-gasket seal, a LED third brake light, and extra strips of aluminum running the length of the roof to add strength to a set of Yakima tracks I had installed.
IMG_6049.JPG

I mailed them the side mirror cover and the color matched the topper perfectly!

All the doors seal up tight and it got really dusty so the seals got tested. On my second outing I added a small brush to my toolbox kit so that I could dust off the back door before opening it to keep the inside sleeping area clean. Having the quick access close toolbox is a huge plus. Tailgate cooking couldn't get any easier than having the mounted propane tank and kitchen toolbox.
IMG_5900.JPG
I'm 5'9" and my girlfriend is 5'2" and I naturallly sleep with my knees bent on my side so we sleep comfortably. And there is enough room between the top of the platform and roof to not feel coffin-like. Actually plenty of room to rest on my elbow and change clothes. Additionally, I made my platform so that the center can be pulled out and placed on the bed to make a large area to chill in if the weather gets bad.FullSizeRender.jpg

Toynado

Rank 0

Traveler I

SF BAY AREA
Member #

Some upgrades:
Snomaster 56D dual compartment fridge & freezer. Installed on a platform that I installed after removing rear driver side seat.
OverlandSolar 120W portable folding solar panel kit
Pelfreybilt battery cage with Odyssey 31M battery 4740C6D9-1E2E-4581-86A8-E8FCE4C894ED.jpeg249C1755-2E7E-454A-B904-19C39014B390.jpeg99F5A3C9-E637-4D55-93AD-AD2C038B2D75.jpeg

Reactions: UncleJesse

jckstrw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kalispell, MT
Member #

Just to echo everyone else, awesome clean build! Really like your shell, if I ever upgrade my Leer I'll take a look at tradesman

Reactions: Toynado

Toynado

Rank 0

Traveler I

SF BAY AREA
Member #

After some good amount of usage, I have nothing but positive things to say Tradesmantrucktops. I really enjoy not having to set up or take anything down, and being able to so easily cook on the tailgate is a huge plus.

Clint Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino, Ca
Member #

After some good amount of usage, I have nothing but positive things to say Tradesmantrucktops. I really enjoy not having to set up or take anything down, and being able to so easily cook on the tailgate is a huge plus.
Do you have any corner bed reinforcement with the extra weight of the Tradesman and goodies? I was told that Bed Stiffeners were a must with four wheeling with a cap?
Total chaos brand were suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Toynado

Rank 0

Traveler I

SF BAY AREA
Member #

Do you have any corner bed reinforcement with the extra weight of the Tradesman and goodies? I was told that Bed Stiffeners were a must with four wheeling with a cap?
Total chaos brand were suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I did instal some bed stiffeners. A guy @at the helm on Tacoma world made them.

Toynado

Rank 0

Traveler I

SF BAY AREA
Member #

Added two 50W thin solar panels on the topper. They are held down with silicone. The Victron controlller with Bluetooth makes it easy to see the status and history of the panels and the battery.

The black patch is just gorilla tape to keep my fishing reels from scratching the roof when they are on my Yakima rack.
33F564B7-7FAD-4428-B855-850307A0A195.jpeg