2016 Nissan Frontier 2WD Family Cab Build

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Welcome! Nice looking rig. You should find the ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip) system quite effective in giving you decent traction, even only being 2WD. I'm always impressed with my Pro-4X even in 2wd.

Not sure if you have found it, but Club Frontier is a wonderful online forum for Frontier owners.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Nice.

We've got that same rack on our Patriot.

Murphy, the Thule rack looks clean on your patriot, like the top down photo. Wishing I had a sunroof on my cab but I figured the roof would always be covered with something every weekend lol. I took some measurements yesterday for a CVT Mt. Rainier Extended, at 72 inches it looks like the Thule Cargo even without the extension will not fit over the cab when I move it forward. I might have to find a smaller cargo box or look into a platform.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Welcome! Nice looking rig. You should find the ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip) system quite effective in giving you decent traction, even only being 2WD. I'm always impressed with my Pro-4X even in 2wd.

Not sure if you have found it, but Club Frontier is a wonderful online forum for Frontier owners.
Shizzy, Thanks for the information. I have not had a chance to check out Club Frontier yet, will have to go do some browsing today. I'm gonna look into my ABLS and see how that all works. Also found ARB makes a rear locker for my Frontier, thought that might help when some of the dirt roads turn to mud. Plus need an excuse for some traction boards to mount on top.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Welcome!! Make sure to keep us up to date as the build progresses.
Overland-Indiana, Thanks for the hello. I plan on documenting as much as possible, especially since i'm gonna go 12v crazy with some luxury items... Fridge, heated blankets, solar, water pump and other items the boss (Wife) would like to have. My main to-do with the 12v stuff is making sure I don't have cables and wires laying all over the cab. The Garmin Nav cable is already annoying with it's dongles so I'll be woking on an extension usb thats compatible to route it through the A Pillar and under the seat to the center console. Out of site, out of mind.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Overland-Indiana, Thanks for the hello. I plan on documenting as much as possible, especially since i'm gonna go 12v crazy with some luxury items... Fridge, heated blankets, solar, water pump and other items the boss (Wife) would like to have. My main to-do with the 12v stuff is making sure I don't have cables and wires laying all over the cab. The Garmin Nav cable is already annoying with it's dongles so I'll be woking on an extension usb thats compatible to route it through the A Pillar and under the seat to the center console. Out of site, out of mind.
I agree, I am not a big fan of messy wiring.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Shizzy, Thanks for the information. I have not had a chance to check out Club Frontier yet, will have to go do some browsing today. I'm gonna look into my ABLS and see how that all works. Also found ARB makes a rear locker for my Frontier, thought that might help when some of the dirt roads turn to mud. Plus need an excuse for some traction boards to mount on top.
To simplify things, the VDC system works the brakes to control wheel slip and to maintain vehicle stability (saved my skin on an icy bridge deck last winter, kept the truck pointed forward) as well as cuts throttle if too much drive wheel spin is detected. The VDC can be turned off (you should have a button on the lower middle of your dash) but the ABLS system cannot be turned off. with the VDC system off, the computer will not pull back throttle, but will still try to keep the drive wheels that are slipping from slipping by applying brake to that wheel.

Reactions: sil80s13

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

To simplify things, the VDC system works the brakes to control wheel slip and to maintain vehicle stability (saved my skin on an icy bridge deck last winter, kept the truck pointed forward) as well as cuts throttle if too much drive wheel spin is detected. The VDC can be turned off (you should have a button on the lower middle of your dash) but the ABLS system cannot be turned off. with the VDC system off, the computer will not pull back throttle, but will still try to keep the drive wheels that are slipping from slipping by applying brake to that wheel.
Thank for the simple version, a quick search on Frontier Forum resulted in some in-depth iterations. Good excuse to head out to the truck this afternoon and look for the button. I find new stuff on my truck all the time since this is our first one we have ever owned. Quite different from a sedan.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Huge upgrade today to the rig lol. Got tired of the 3' wispy antenna waving about while driving so found a nice rugged looking one. Matches the rigs look much better now to me lol. Been raining a few days here in Socal so taking advantage of the sunny weather.

IMG_4755.jpg IMG_4757.jpg

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Since the truck is still under warranty and has new truck smell, my wife wishes not to have permanent toys mounted all over the cab when not needed. Noticing that the rig has 6 cup holders and were only 3 people I looked for a way to quickly mount the communications equipment in and out without to much hassle. This is my solution so far and I'm quite happy with this setup.

I used a hard back GripIt organizer that has rubberized strapping to clip the electronics and eventually wires that will run down to the center console 12v. The cup holder mount is a 10 inch tablet holder that is adjustable so we can turn it to face either of us or swing back out of the way. Ill do an update once I finish the wiring cleanup and get it all plugged in with the corded microphones. I have plenty of room to hinge it back over the console toward the baby seat with the adjustable arm.

View attachment 14849

View attachment 14861

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

I knew their was a reason for going with cloth seats lol. My son has his collection starting to grow, they stick on nice and he now has something to look at besides the back of the seat. His "Overland Bound" patches are on order so they will be going up soon as well.

Last edited:

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

So ordered my BedSlide Sidekick Bins for additional slide out storage over the wheel arches and there was a two week production time when ordered... Waited till almost 3 weeks to check the status and was informed another 2 weeks plus shipping. Just sad, not angry as will not have in time for the next camping trip to test out this Feb in Joshua Tree.

Sorry, needed a place to vent for 2 seconds as was hoping to get a little real use out of them to best figure out how I want to configure gear and other attachment ideas. Ok I'm over it lol.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

The last month has been a crazy amount of camping, gear installs, and errands (Black hole time suck). So the great news is that I finnally got the Tepui Autana XL installed, the Foxwing is mounted, Mud Flaps are a go and one of the best upgrades to my son's collection, a couple new patches! Huge thank you shout out to OB Member @Raul B for his generosity and was glad to him at the Joshua Tree Meet-up and Camping.

IMG_5234.jpg
Couple of new patches for my son's collection.

IMG_5662.jpg
Weekend pre-camp setup view at Doheny State Beach of the RTT and Foxwing Awning. The rig is starting to come together now. Unfortunately our site did not have a view of the ocean. Rained all weekend lol.

IMG_5853.jpg
Another quick overnight getaway to O'Neil Regional Park, getting used to setup of the new tent and gear. Rained also this weekend lol.

IMG_5856.jpg
A view of the annex portion in the morning. A little frost on the tent, ground and awning.

Attachments

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

The last month has been a crazy amount of camping, gear installs, and errands (Black hole time suck). So the great news is that I finnally got the Tepui Autana XL installed, the Foxwing is mounted, Mud Flaps are a go and one of the best upgrades to my son's collection, a couple new patches! Huge thank you shout out to OB Member @Raul B for his generosity and was glad to him at the Joshua Tree Meet-up and Camping.

View attachment 17979
Couple of new patches for my son's collection.

View attachment 17980
Weekend pre-camp setup view at Doheny State Beach of the RTT and Foxwing Awning. The rig is starting to come together now. Unfortunately our site did not have a view of the ocean. Rained all weekend lol.

View attachment 17982
Another quick overnight getaway to O'Neil Regional Park, getting used to setup of the new tent and gear. Rained also this weekend lol.

View attachment 17983
A view of the annex portion in the morning. A little frost on the tent, ground and awning.

Awesome set up !