Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Thought it was about time that I started my build thread, now that I've begun my journey. I am new to overlanding and this is my first 4x4/off-road capable vehicle. It's our (my wife and I's) only vehicle and daily driver ..... so I'll be keeping it relatively mild.

She is a 2016 Trail Edition with KDSS. My overall impressions of the 4Runner are that it is extremely capable, very smooth, decent gas milage, and has all the power I need.

Only mods so far are switching our all the interior lights for LEDs and of course the 5HP OB Badge. :)

I just placed my roof rack order from GOBI, so I should have that in 12-16 weeks (minimum they say). I selected the Stealth with ladder and 2 crossbars. I also picked up a 42" Pelican case for my recovery gear once my rack is installed. Considering moving my spare to to the roof as well, but can't decide on that one.

For what's next.... I have my eye on TRD front skid plate, Orange Boxx Fabrication molli panels for both sides of the rear windows, C4 Rock Sliders, and C4 LowPro front bumper, KO2s (not sure what size I want yet), and new rims/wheels. I also can't decide on lift just yet, but I've got plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Last edited:

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
I love those 4Runners. All the generations of them have great style and nice capability but I have a hard time bringing myself to pay the premium price for something that has over 200k miles on it. It's just crazy how they hold on to their value so well. Good for you man and I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I love those 4Runners. All the generations of them have great style and nice capability but I have a hard time bringing myself to pay the premium price for something that has over 200k miles on it. It's just crazy how they hold on to their value so well. Good for you man and I can't wait to see how it comes out.
Thanks! I'm excited to get started .... but also a little trepidatious about the amount of work I want/need to do. :smiley:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I priced out the initial amount of stuff I want to do to the Sequoia, and it's going to cost me over 7k to do. I'm going to have to get some mad brownie points with the wife in order to get away with it! Lol
Certainly! I'm constantly stocking up those brownie points!!!!

Additionally, I take it in small bits. $7K is a big number, but one at a time ... it's only a few hundred bucks. ;)

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

Congrats! You will love your 4Runner, they are great platforms. I am not sure what you drove before this one, but the words "great gas mileage" and 4Runner don't go tegether for me :)

Keep pictures posted as you progress with your build. I am doing a lift and tires in the next two weeks on mine and can't wait.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Congrats! You will love your 4Runner, they are great platforms. I am not sure what you drove before this one, but the words "great gas mileage" and 4Runner don't go tegether for me :)

Keep pictures posted as you progress with your build. I am doing a lift and tires in the next two weeks on mine and can't wait.
Fair point..... it’s all relative. [emoji16]

Reactions: Beer Hounds

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on the 4Runner! I have that exact year, model, even color. So far I am more than happy with it. Most of my build has worked out well. About 3 things I'd change if I could. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Congrats on the 4Runner! I have that exact year, model, even color. So far I am more than happy with it. Most of my build has worked out well. About 3 things I'd change if I could. Looking forward to seeing your build.
AZ, just curious any mods you'd do differently now?

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thought it was about time that I started my build thread, now that I've begun my journey. I am new to overlanding and this is my first 4x4/off-road capable vehicle. It's our (my wife and I's) only vehicle and daily driver ..... so I'll be keeping it relatively mild.

She is a 2016 Trail Edition with KDSS. My overall impressions of the 4Runner are that it is extremely capable, very smooth, decent gas milage, and has all the power I need.

Only mods so far are switching our all the interior lights for LEDs and of course the 5HP OB Badge. :)

I just placed my roof rack order from GOBI, so I should have that in 12-16 weeks (minimum they say). I selected the Stealth with ladder and 2 crossbars. I also picked up a 42" Pelican case for my recovery gear once my rack is installed. Considering moving my spare to to the roof as well, but can't decide on that one.

For what's next.... I have my eye on TRD front skid plate, Orange Boxx Fabrication molli panels for both sides of the rear windows, C4 Rock Sliders, and C4 LowPro front bumper, KO2s (not sure what size I want yet), and new rims/wheels. I also can't decide on lift just yet, but I've got plenty to keep me busy for a while.
Let me know how you like the GOBI i am 100% getting a roof rack but i like the front runner slim design only issue is drilling.....

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
AZ, just curious any mods you'd do differently now?
I plan to replace my Gobi rack at some point. I haven't had any issues with it, but permanently mounting stuff on it is difficult. You can't get your hand or tools under it to attach bolts to secure things to the rack. So when I change the layout of items on my roof the rack has to be taken off to reconfigure it correctly. Gobi isn't very responsive and wait times have grown extremely long. I'll probably go with Front Runner or something similar.

I have a MetalTech front bumper and CBI rear bumper/tire carrier. Had issues mounting the MetalTech and eliminating some noises. The CBI went on flawlessly and their customer support is truly outstanding. Looking back, I'd have been smart to go CBI on both ends.

I started with the spare on the roof because I took a long time finding a rear tire carrier I liked. The KDSS system precludes keeping the spare underneath with larger tires (running KO2 AT P285/70R17212 118R). I normally run solo and the roof option wasn't a good one. Getting the tire down solo was OK. Getting the old tire up top alone was gonna be tough. UP top looked odd to me and put a lot of stress on the roof rack and well as moving my center of gravity higher.

Shoot me a PM and I will send you a link to all my modifications.