2015 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Overland ideas

• HTML tutorial

Brad Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi everyone,

I am new to the overland community, I have a stock 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 and looking for some ideas to go on regarding some basic improvements to get going with (I know its a never ending process). I haven't found any newer Cherokee model overland rigs, mostly 90s and 80s models. Anyone have a list of things I do to get started with. Would love to take my kids camping and off-roading.

Best Regards,
Brad IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0581.jpg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hi everyone,

I am new to the overland community, I have a stock 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 and looking for some ideas to go on regarding some basic improvements to get going with (I know its a never ending process). I haven't found any newer Cherokee model overland rigs, mostly 90s and 80s models. Anyone have a list of things I do to get started with. Would love to take my kids camping and off-roading.

Best Regards,
Brad
@Brad Smith

I can't help you with a list of Mods for your Jeep but I can say that there is nothing preventing you from taking the kids camping and off roading as she sits today. Pack up a tent, cook stove, and cooler and take them out for an adventure. Turn down a gravel road (maybe let the kids pick from a couple of safe options) I've heard good things about Chattahoochee Forest and that there are some fantastic free car camping sites near Unicoi Gap and Chattahoochee Gap.

Here are some more ideas from a quick google search for "primitive camping near Atlanta" and "Disbursed camping near Atlanta"of the area:
This is the recipe I remember for exploring Colorado when I was a kid. Still fond memories.

Boort

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

If you search "NEW BODY Jeep Cherokee - Any" there's a thread with a few members sporting the new KL. (May get inspired from a photo?) I have a '14 Trailhawk and while I will say that these are more than capable rigs, Most folks will at least explore a subtitle lift and tire combo.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

If I were you, I'd start by finding a better football team to support. Gueax Tigers! (Just teasing)

I would suggest slapping some good all-terrain tires on there and look into underbody armor. I'm not too familiar with the Trailhawk version of the Cherokee, but I'm sure there's stuff that you could rob off of one and slap onto your rig. Like previously stated, it's pretty capable as it sits. You just won't be able to follow the JK guys up the cliff faces, but you can go have some fun while they're busy blowing up axles in the rocks

Brad Smith

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks PicNick yeah I am looking at getting some all-terrain tires and some underbody armor to get things started on this project.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I think you would greatly benefit from joining the “Jeepcherokeeclub” forum. There is a ton of information on there.

I can give you some ideas after owning a Cherokee trail hawk for a little under a year. I think your best bet would be some all terrain tires. They make a massive difference. The next thing if you expect to hit some trails is rock sliders. These will protect your rockers and doors. Iv used mine extensively. If it wasn’t for those, I’d have no lower body left. It depends on how crazy you want to go and how difficult of terrain you expect to encounter. The list could go on, lift, under body protection, bumpers, winches.
Personally, I have a trailhawk. With a 3 inch lift and 30.5 inch Goodyear wrangler duratrac tires which are technically an all terrain tire but very close to a mud tire.
For what I do and the stuff I come across, this setup works pretty well for me

But like others have said, if your plan is to camping, the Cherokee is plenty capable of getting you out there. Some all terrain tires and you’ll be amazed at what the Cherokee will do. Even the wrangler guys are shocked at what these cherokees can do

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk