Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

First off, it’s been a long time since I’ve been on and I’m looking forward to actually having an Overland capable vehicle.

I recently bought a 2015 Ford F-150. It is a crew cab, short bed. Has the FX4 package, the 3.5L EcoBoost, Hill Descent Control and the selectable automatic transmission. I feel like this is basically ready to go for what I’m aiming to do. I’m not taking this truck to Moab or any crazy trails. I’m talking fire roads, state park dirt roads, that kind of thing. Am I correct in thinking that the truck will handle these conditions just fine?

Also, are there any small and easy things I should consider doing to the truck to increase reliability on certain parts or wear points? Or even to increase ease of use?

Reactions: MPLUTO and Raul B

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Would a leveling kit be worth it for the clearance? And how would that affect my mileage. This is also doubling as my work vehicle (which is going to be putting on a ton of miles).

Reactions: Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Would a leveling kit be worth it for the clearance? And how would that affect my mileage. This is also doubling as my work vehicle (which is going to be putting on a ton of miles).
Larger tires and any kind of lift will affect your mpg. When I first got my f150 2012 5.0. I was getting a consistent 19mpg mixed driving. I drive about 150 miles per day. When I leveled and ent with bigger tires it dropped to 16mpg.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Looking last night I’m thinking about doing a 2 inch leveling kit and 265/75R18 tires. I think that would drastically improve the clearance which will be nice for my work too.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You don’t “need” anything other than stock but there are many things you can do to improve things Offroading. Click my build link in my signature for 2015 f150 build ideas. Good luck!

Jackson1881

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Jacckson
I too am an FX4 owner (2017 5.0L Supercab). Speaking from experience, upgrading the suspension was a relatively simple job that made a world of difference in both on and off-road driving performance. Although Ford advertises an off-road suspension there is still significant room for improvement. Additionally there isn't much difference in the amount of work required to install a leveling puck vs aftermarket coil overs. That being said, this is more of a "want" rather than a "need" in most cases.

Regarding gas mileage, I lost approximately 1-1.5 mpg (depending upon driving style) after upgrading my suspension and moving to a set of 295/70/R17 (33") mud terrains.

If you are sticking mostly to dirt roads you should be fine. However, speaking from experience the break over angle is not the best even on short bed F150s. I've drug my frame rails multiple times on "moderate" trails so take it easy when encountering moguls or steep entrances/exits and consider some upgraded under body protection (the fuel tank skid plate is just a large piece of plastic).

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I have a 2017 f150 FX4, 3.5 ecoboost, 6” lift, 35” MT tires and average just over 16mpg mixed highway/city in CO. We’ll see what I get towing my trailer over the passes this week as I head to expo.

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
Glad to see so many F150 owners in this thread!

Your '15 is more than capable. I've got a 2017 3.5 eco Supercrew. It's an XLT non/FX4 model so does lack a few things I wish it had (lockers for one) but you'll do just fine without. Just drive smart.

I've swapped out the crappy stock shocks / struts for Bilstein 5100s and opted to add a level up front. Not required for trail running more hated the extreme rake from the factory. I removed the front wind baffle thing (simple unbolt) and swapped the stock tires out for KO2s. The slight changes I've made has dropped about 2-3mpg overall. The tires and removing the air dam were the big hit to the MPG but also important to me for trail runs. I did also add Firestone airbags so when I am loaded down with gear and have the RTT and other gear in the back I don't squat too bad. Used daystar cups so I still have articulation.

My rig is more than capable of running with the yota's and jeeps on a lot of local trails. I'm wider and longer than them so I have to be smart and do my recon before heading out. Tight trails aren't our friends but if you've got room, fold the mirrors in and take it slow.

One thing I wish I could find for these is a decent rock slider / bar. Doesn't have to be super heavy duty but I've had to be super careful on some trails not to rip off or bend the running boards.

Reactions: duncanshannon

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
... consider some upgraded under body protection (the fuel tank skid plate is just a large piece of plastic).
Are you running any skid plates? RCI seems to be the only option and debating if the weight is warranted.

Jackson1881

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Jacckson
Are you running any skid plates? RCI seems to be the only option and debating if the weight is warranted.
Yes on the RCI skid plates. I searched and searched and RCI is the only company I found that manufacturers a skid plate for the 36 gal fuel tank. I'm still looking for a decent set of sliders as well. I've reached out to two different fabricators without any luck thus far so please let me know if you ever find any. Additionally, I work two weeks on two weeks off so I'm more than willing to leave my truck at a shop as a mock up for myself and others if you know anyone who is willing to fabricate them in NC.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have the full RCI skid package and it’s come in handy for sure. I wish I could find some sliders too but haven’t had luck.