Pek2001

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Kendall
Hi all - I just purchased my dream vehicle, a 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser, only 47,000 miles!! While I know the vehicle is very capable stock, I was really hoping y'all could provide me some must do upgrades.

My background - fairly novice to Overlanding, so please not only give your thoughts of what kind of upgrade, but the why and type behind it, and keeping $$ in mind. I already broke the bank buying the vehicle.

My initial thoughts are starting with the suspension, tires, then moving to a rack and armor. I have a X1 - Patriot Camper, so no need of in vehicle storage or sleeping options. But clueless on types/brands outside of the big marketing companies.

Super excited to start building this beauty!! Thanks in advance!!

Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: RJCanyon

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Armor and recovery equipment should be first, lifts and bigger tires are certainly nice but you need to protect your investment first and foremost. And going out on the trail without recovery equipment not the best idea.

Take it out a few times after the armor upgrades and you will soon figure out what type of lift and tires best will suit your needs, good luck and awesome rig choice!

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Do it in whatever order you want but consider that armor, bumpers,racks, and gear will need to be considered in regard to the suspension .
that soft , flexy, lift might turn out to be a sagging mess after you weigh it down
thankfully many have gone before so it’s easy to look at other rigs and learn

Pek2001

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Kendall
Do it in whatever order you want but consider that armor, bumpers,racks, and gear will need to be considered in regard to the suspension .
that soft , flexy, lift might turn out to be a sagging mess after you weigh it down
thankfully many have gone before so it’s easy to look at other rigs and learn
Good point! Thank you