dogmush

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Hill
Hi folks, I've mostly been lurking here and trying to soak up knowledge, but since I'm taking my new (to me) truck out for it's first camping trip this weekend I thought I'd start a build thread. My wife and I live in Tampa, FL and we've been doing a fair bit of truck camping for several years, but it has always been more of a "drive to a camp ground, set up camp, and hike. Then drive home" kind of deal. We were just throwing everything into the back of my old truck (bought to be a Home Depot hauler) and staying on pavement. During our Christmas trip to the Great Smokey Mountains, we hit some snowy roads that were pretty sketchy on my 2WD truck, and simultaneously decided to get a dog, which wouldn't fit in my standard cab F150.

The search was on for a 4 dr, 4WD truck. I wanted to keep it as an F150 with a 6.5" bed so I could use the Decked drawers from my old truck.

Here's the old truck on it's last trip, and the new one as delivered in mid-Jan.

The FX4 has a stock rear locker, really nice interior for the long highway parts of the trip, plenty of room in the back for the dog and some stuff, and mine has the ecoboost V6 so it get's ok(ish) gas mileage on the interstate.

Attachments

Last edited:

dogmush

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Hill
Stage 1 was getting a bedliner sprayed in, and moving my Decked drawers and side boxes over.

After that I wanted a little more height, and the used truck had worn shocks and leaf springs. I put a Rancho 2.5" Quicklift strut kit on the front, replaced the rear leaf springs, and added axle blocks with 1" more height in the rear to bring the truck back to level. (With some stops for FL weather) In an effort to save some cash (and because I had put brand new tires on the old truck in Dec) I just moved the 18" wheels and All Terrain tires from my old truck to the new truck.

Attachments

dogmush

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Hill
Along the way (as I was waiting for suspension parts to be shipped) I put a new front and rear bumper, Warn winch, pod lights and a front light bar , and wired everything through a solid state relay box and switch panel. I got the switch panel off of Amazon, rather then one of the several hundred dollar name brands, but I'm only planning on running LED's off it, so it should handle the load. It says two of the circuits can handle 30A, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

I also installed a Builtright Cell Phone mount and wired a new USB outlet into the tray on the dash so I could hang a spare tablet I have loaded with Gia GPS in the cab.

The last pic is how it sits right now. We're going to head off to Ocala National Forrest tomorrow to break it in. I have a different set of running boards coming in the mail, and down the road I definitely want a bed rack, awning, and some more built in storage, maybe some rotopacks for water, but for now the woods are calling, and this should get us through the weekend.

Attachments