Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
This is my truck, '13 FX4 5.0L, my daughter gave it the name Big Blue. It has a 2" leveling kit and the previous owner put 275/65r20 Duratac tires on it. This will be a slow methodical build and will start with very small upgrades such as new tires as mine are about at that point, spray in line, cargo rack system to mount a RTT in the future, and rock sliders for the rockers. I would like thoughts on after market exhaust systems as well, do you recommend them for Overlanding, or is it best to keep it quiet while running the trails?

-Francis

Big Blue.jpg 20171121_173234.jpg

Reactions: Tray

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

Personally, I run the MBRP single inlet/dual outlet exhaust system on my F150. It gives a nice performance sound with minimal drone. It's not very loud at low rpms so it wouldn't be very obnoxious on trails. That said, I'd be interested to see what other folks have gone with. Great looking truck!

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
Personally, I run the MBRP single inlet/dual outlet exhaust system on my F150. It gives a nice performance sound with minimal drone. It's not very loud at low rpms so it wouldn't be very obnoxious on trails. That said, I'd be interested to see what other folks have gone with. Great looking truck!
I'll keep that in mind. Have you heard any good things about Thrush mufflers? There is a guy in town that said he would take out the resonator and stock muffler and replace it with a Thrush muffler for under $200.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

I've never had Thrush on any of my trucks, just Flowmaster and MBRP. I have heard of people just removing the resonator, though. That said, I think I got the MBRP kit for well below $500 and it's a pretty painless install.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
^^^^
Thank you!

With the 20' wheels how much taller can I or should I go? I see ppl putting 35's but it is usually on a 15'-17" tire. Would putting on a taller tire be worth it?

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

I've seen people go with 35s with that amount of lift, but 33s on those wheels should be sufficient. I run 33 inch BFG KO2s on 18s, but a buddy of mine pretty much has your exact FX4 truck except with the ecoboost and runs 33 inch nittos on those exact wheels. Truck has a great stance and clearance. Depending on what you want to do with the truck, where you want to go - it looks very capable as it sits.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
^^^^ Raul I have seen your truck on this forum, and it is an awesome rig! I might stick with the same size tires, my main concern is not bottoming out with such a tall tire. While I am new to this I do want to do stuff on the harder side of off roading. Nothing like rock crawling the Rubicon, but be able to hit some tough trails. I am also looking for a good, reliable tire at a decent cost.
- Llama I saw those nittos you were taking about. I went to their site and size I currently have are are taller than the 33s according to nittos spec sheet on 20" tires.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I decided to go with the Thrush muffler SI/SO, it was in expensive ($240). They removed the reonator and I had them bring it out in front of the passenger rear wheel.

What do you think?

Reactions: Ronnie B 7070

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
So I found these tires on Walmart.com, could not pass up with the price where it was! Firestone wanted $339.00 for them. I will get them mounted when we get to Alabama. Gotta get one more trip out of the Duratacs!

Attachments

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

I just picked up some Falken Wildpeaks for my F150 and Fox suspension ha, easy to get carried away sometimes. My silly kids want to eat every day... otherwise I might have decided on wheels too.

Reactions: Francis84

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Congrats on you new 250! Funny, this is the first time I've seen this thread.
When the salesman asked what name to use for the Ford Pass app we named our new 2019 F150 Supercab 4x4 "Big Blue", so we'll keep the name going.

KIMG1341.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Francis84