• HTML tutorial

erinw.rrc

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clara. CA
Member #

So, my rig is pretty much done except for a few things I have left (rear storage is one). Some of you know that I attempted to install a snorkel on my 2012 LR4. It was installed to reduce dust, not water. Too many electronics in these new trucks and too risky. However, the 5.0 V8 has two air intakes and I'm still testing the waters (ha, no pun intended) if the LH side can be blocked or not. My initial thought is no, after the ECU issues I've been experiencing since the install. You can read about my issues HERE, the trouble shooting and current fix, although more testing will need to be done to ensure no more issues with performance. Hindsight, the snorkel was probably not necessary, but after doing the Oregon Discover trails in 2015 in our Range Rover Classic, the dust was pretty unbearable. Wanting to avoid the same fate in my D4.

Last edited:
Reactions: randrausjr

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

You are correct in that you can't block the driver side air intake. You may end up with one filter a bit more dirty than the other, and different pressure levels in each side of the intake. I wouldn't worry about it much.

IMO the way the side vents are setup, they are a bit like a snorkel already in that they use the front quarter panels as the tube and the side vents. They just are not higher up. You still have the filter box and all the anti-water-ingress bits on there.

The LR4 is pretty well protected from water. This picture is with the covers off the battery boxes, but most everything is pretty protected up to the hood. It has diff breathers and whatnot from the factory. I wouldn't go looking for water.. i agree, but its made for it.

erinw.rrc

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clara. CA
Member #

Yes, unfortunately, I could find very little information online anywhere. So my truck kind of become an experiment that went awry. There is no going back now.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I haven't had to deal with too much dust in my travels so far, but I have wondered if it would be possible to make some type of magnetic low profile 'box' with a high flow (large particulate) filter on it that could stick to the quarter panel on/around the side vents.

Just an idea.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

So, my rig is pretty much done except for a few things I have left (rear storage is one). Some of you know that I attempted to install a snorkel on my 2012 LR4. It was installed to reduce dust, not water. Too many electronics in these new trucks and too risky. However, the 5.0 V8 has two air intakes and I'm still testing the waters (ha, no pun intended) if the LH side can be blocked or not. My initial thought is no, after the ECU issues I've been experiencing since the install. You can read about my issues HERE, the trouble shooting and current fix, although more testing will need to be done to ensure no more issues with performance. Hindsight, the snorkel was probably not necessary, but after doing the Oregon Discover trails in 2015 in our Range Rover Classic, the dust was pretty unbearable. Wanting to avoid the same fate in my D4.
Any updates regarding your LR4 snorkel experiment? I'm interested in adding a snorkel and curious if you're still experiencing faults or having any issues running it, as well as lessons learned from your experience. Thanks.