2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2)

• HTML tutorial

wk2blackpearl

Rank II

Advocate I

Hey everyone,

Newbie to overlanding here - looking for ideas on my currently completely stock 2012 WK2 Overland edition with the Quadra Lift and those 20" rims. Been into hiking/backpacking/camping for a good few years now and interested in overlanding - attended MAOF2017 with the SO last weekend and loved it. Looking to upgrade my own rig to take it out now!

- Planning on upgrading the tires very soon as I'm driving on bald all-seasons currently... Does anyone have experience with KO2s or Treadwright Wardens? I'm looking at either 265/50/R20 or 275/55/R20 sizes.
- I need to keep the rims because of $$ but also want to incorporate a 5 tire rotation while keeping in mind the spare needs to still fit into that wheel well... any advice on sizing to keep the spare tucked away is greatly appreciated.

See you on the trails!

-CB

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

There are a few threads that talk about the KO2's. Seems like they are getting excellent reviews so far. As far as the treadwright's I have heard both good and bad reviews on them ( some are difficult to balance, premature wear, etc.) As far as fitting the spare, measure the diameter and depth of the recess (just for a basic idea of the size you need) and then use a tire conversion calculator on google to determine the size. Hope that helps!

Reactions: wk2blackpearl

wk2blackpearl

Rank II

Advocate I

There are a few threads that talk about the KO2's. Seems like they are getting excellent reviews so far. As far as the treadwright's I have heard both good and bad reviews on them ( some are difficult to balance, premature wear, etc.) As far as fitting the spare, measure the diameter and depth of the recess (just for a basic idea of the size you need) and then use a tire conversion calculator on google to determine the size. Hope that helps!
I am tempted toward the Treadwrights simply because they are a small American company. I've seen they have great customer service, so that's a plus. As far as size goes, I really want to keep that spare in the well! I'll need to do more research.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Hey everyone,

Newbie to overlanding here - looking for ideas on my currently completely stock 2012 WK2 Overland edition with the Quadra Lift and those 20" rims. Been into hiking/backpacking/camping for a good few years now and interested in overlanding - attended MAOF2017 with the SO last weekend and loved it. Looking to upgrade my own rig to take it out now!

- Planning on upgrading the tires very soon as I'm driving on bald all-seasons currently... Does anyone have experience with KO2s or Treadwright Wardens? I'm looking at either 265/50/R20 or 275/55/R20 sizes.
- I need to keep the rims because of $$ but also want to incorporate a 5 tire rotation while keeping in mind the spare needs to still fit into that wheel well... any advice on sizing to keep the spare tucked away is greatly appreciated.

See you on the trails!

-CB
Welcome to OB! ;)

I had a similar question. One of the Mainline Overland reps at the MAOF mentioned that I can try airing down the spare a little to make sure it fits while it's stowed away and then airing it back up when I need it. It is a bit more tedious, but it's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Welcome to OB! ;)

I had a similar question. One of the Mainline Overland reps at the MAOF mentioned that I can try airing down the spare a little to make sure it fits while it's stowed away and then airing it back up when I need it. It is a bit more tedious, but it's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
So new tires AND an onboard compressor...sounds like good idea. I want one too!
Actually, @DRJ you have one right? Which model do you have? Would you recommend it or not?

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

One of the most important mods you should never skimp on (imo) is tires. Your entire rig rests upon the safety and reliability of those tires. I've had my KO2's for almost two years and I think they're fantastic. If it's a one tire situation for you I'd highly recommend them.