Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Hey everyone,

I’m new here and to overlanding but not to off-roading in general. I’m a lover of all vehicles and back in my younger days I had several rigs that I built (much more cheaply than I would ever care to admit at this point in my life). To make a long story short I ended up moving to Charlotte and got out of the 4x4 hobby and into motorcycles. Then either due to growing up or more likely being thrust into numerous dangerous situations (mostly caused by negligent drivers). I decided to get out of the bike scene and back into off-roading. I also wanted a vehicle capable of road tripping with our 2 large dogs (65 and 80lbs), travel crates, and luggage. After some extensive research I landed on a 2011+ Xterra. It took a some searching but I finally found what I was looking for in October 2018, a 2011 Xterra S 6MT with 121k on the clock. It had a clean Carfax (I always take these with a grain of salt) and appears to have been mostly used for highway usage previously (non-worn pedals and no hole in the typical spot on the drivers seat). I picked her up for $9,250 OTD and dubbed her Ellie. I fell in love with thing almost immediately (mostly because it embodies almost everything I loved about my prior off-road rig plus just a few more creature comforts but not too many).

Here she is the day I brought her home:
IMG_3529.JPG

I was originally going to use this vehicle as a 2nd (actually 4th) car/toy but I ride my bicycle to work and owning 4 vehicles didn’t make sense for our family so I thinned the herd and made this my primary vehicle.

And just to show her off. My prior rig. It’s the only vehicle I ever regretted selling. 1998 Dakota with manual everything (yes even had crank down windows).

View attachment 121504

View attachment 121502

Custom tent made from a canvas drop cloth, pvc pipe, and an old kiteboarding kite.

View attachment 121505

More to follow...

Last edited:

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
First task at hand was to replace all consumables and fluids. While the Carfax did indicate this X had been maintained I don’t fully trust them and replaced all fluids with full synthetics (oil, difs, transmission, transfer case, and power steering). I still do need to replace the coolant and brake fluid but the coolant test fine and is clean.

Since I can never leave vehicles stock for long within the first month I had already begun to mod. First mod was a simple one, cargo organization/containment. The hard cargo floor is great for cleanup but not so great for groceries and gear staying put. Decided to make a organizer out of an old storage bin.

IMG_3587.JPG

While I was at it I replaced the missing first aid kit. My OCD wouldn’t allow the empty space to remain empty.

IMG_3586.JPG

Reactions: systemdelete

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
After months of slowly stockpiling parts I went on a bit of a whirlwind.

First up, I know it’s inaccurate but I like having a temp display. Picked up a auto dimming mirror from a Suburban/Tahoe.

IMG_3864.JPG

I also hated the cloth interior and wanted something a big more resistant to water. Picked up a full set of Wet Okole neoprene seat covers.

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Stock suspension was pretty tired at this point so I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100s set at 1.5”. While I was at it I painted the silver plastics a charcoal grey and bedlined the plastics. Also installed some rear recovery points.

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Next up, it was time for some new tires. The Toyo open country’s were super loud (to the point of me thinking the wheel bearings were bad). Ditched them for a set of 32” BFG KO2s.

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

Next it was time for some armor. Picked up a set of rock Shrockworks rock sliders.

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
With the maintenance, suspension, and protection sorted. It was time for some custom touches for camping/overlanding.

Top priority staying cool and big free. Made a set of window screens. Held on with magnets.

IMG_3961.JPG

Next was a custom mattress. Cut from a 2.5” memory foam mattress.

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

Also added some hatch lights. They double as exterior and interior illumination.

View attachment 121558

AZ Trooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Peoria, AZ, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Edward
Member #

With the maintenance, suspension, and protection sorted. It was time for some custom touches for camping/overlanding.

Top priority staying cool and big free. Made a set of window screens. Held on with magnets.

View attachment 121552

Next was a custom mattress. Cut from a 2.5” memory foam mattress.

View attachment 121553

View attachment 121554

Also added some hatch lights. They double as exterior and interior illumination.

View attachment 121558
Killer custom mattress. Is it all flat underneath or is there a lower floorboard for the backseat? I am asking because I was thinking about doing the same thing in the back of my Trooper and there is a big dip behind both front seats.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Killer custom mattress. Is it all flat underneath or is there a lower floorboard for the backseat? I am asking because I was thinking about doing the same thing in the back of my Trooper and there is a big dip behind both front seats.
It’s 99% flat. The Xterra has a 2 piece rear seat design so the lower seats tilt forward and the backs fold flat. I’m not sure what your Troopers set up is but you might want to check out the smaller action packers. I know others have been able to use them to fill dips for flat sleeping solutions.

The mattress was just a double memory foam 2.5” pad off of eBay. I think it was $40 and then I cut and sewed some cheap sheets for the cover. Very comfy for $50 all in.

Reactions: AZ Trooper

AZ Trooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Peoria, AZ, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Edward
Member #

It’s 99% flat. The Xterra has a 2 piece rear seat design so the lower seats tilt forward and the backs fold flat. I’m not sure what your Troopers set up is but you might want to check out the smaller action packers. I know others have been able to use them to fill dips for flat sleeping solutions.

The mattress was just a double memory foam 2.5” pad off of eBay. I think it was $40 and then I cut and sewed some cheap sheets for the cover. Very comfy for $50 all in.
Great info. Thanks for the reply zanethan.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Alright last post and we’re all caught up to how she sits currently.

I’m not a big light guy but during a recent trip I was going to have to make a night run to pick up some friends. Added these LED combo spot and flood lights. They’re Amazon cheapies but certainly performed fine. I also pre-wired for my CB radio so I don’t have to pull apart my center console again and added a in cabin switch for my wireless controller. Winch now has dual fully redundant control should one circuit fail. I also picked up a cheap rack. I was only going to put it on when needed but I’m kinda liking up there so I left it for now.

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

And the most important mod of all!

IMG_4136.JPG

Alright you’re all caught up now!

Reactions: AdventureRider81

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Small update. I had been eyeballing a Factor 55 prolink shackle for some time and found a vendor clearing inventory. Picked it up for right at half the typical retail. Only catch was it had to be silver, which wasn’t my first choice. That being said for the price I’d go with just about any color. Install was a bit more involved as I had to cut off my original hook. A few minutes with an angle grinder sorted it though.

IMG_4147.jpg

Bugnut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Laven
Member #

Zane,

Nice build. Question - where did you get the winch tray/bumper set up? I'm still waiting on one from PRG Products I ordered in January. I like the cleaner looks of the stock bumber and stock weight! I built a custom one for my 2000 X but hoping to find a simple solution if PRG becomes a dark hole.

Thanks,
Mike

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Zane,

Nice build. Question - where did you get the winch tray/bumper set up? I'm still waiting on one from PRG Products I ordered in January. I like the cleaner looks of the stock bumber and stock weight! I built a custom one for my 2000 X but hoping to find a simple solution if PRG becomes a dark hole.

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike, I got it from WAM. Super pleased with their turnaround. I think I got it in less than a week from order to delivery that was pre Covid though. Not sure if that's had any impact with those guys.