Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That's a lot of research, and I totally dig that! You're right, tire sizes vary wildly by brand. There's no set standard on rim-size or tire pressure for measurements which obviously impacts width measurements a lot. With metric tires height is a function of width so that will vary a lot too. For tires measured in inches you'd think the height would be consistent, but it's not. I suppose that comes from the tire pressure it's measured at. If you want to put in the time and risk buying tires that don't work you could well find the "magic" tire that absolutely maximizes tire size to the last fraction of an inch. Otherwise, I'd learn from all the trial and error the community has already put in and run what is proven.

-TJ

Great looking grand Cherokee btw , makes me miss my zj. 3” of lift with some 33x10.50s that thing rode like a dream off-road and was a blast on gravel roads . The rubicon express super flex kit really delivered on the ride quality and flex. But at the time I needed something that could tow better so it had to go . 036F0AD1-47FD-4C83-B9AE-55E653F72954.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Fair 'nough, and good info on the spiders, I hadn't considered that aspect. Like I said, I don't know anything about Xterra diffs!

-TJ

Honestly I don’t either this is just been the last two or three days of research I have way more of a background in Toyota stuff.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very nice ZJ, too bad it had to go. I haven't towed with my WJ yet, but it has the tow package and 265/325 HP/TQ. I think the tow rating was 6,500lbs, but personally I wouldn't push it that high. I have a 24' enclosed that weighs 3k lbs empty I'm curious to hitch up for fun, but I think the overall length and sway would be the issue, vs. the weight. On the other hand, I have a 10x6.5 utility trailer that will fit our 2 seat RZR and I'd guess would be around 2k which should be perfect.

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

35s generally require a Titan swap, 2" body lift (because of front up travel) and fender trimming. There's no body mount trimming like Toyota but the melt mod is literally taking a heat gun and heating a small section of fender liner behind the front tires and pushing it back flush and 285s will fit at the OE ride height.

265/70/16 @ factory height

View attachment 120434

285/75/16 @ factory ride height

View attachment 120435

Only melt mod required.

I love those tires , that’s what I had on the forester . They got such good traction in the snow it was almost a issue with the lack of a low range or power . Do those Have the mountain snowflake symbol on them? The ones on my forester had it but they where listed as the at3+4s , didn’t see the 4s listed on the bigger tire sizes .

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I love those tires , that’s what I had on the forester . They got such good traction in the snow it was almost a issue with the lack of a low range or power . Do those Have the mountain snowflake symbol on them? The ones on my forester had it but they where listed as the at3+4s , didn’t see the 4s listed on the bigger tire sizes .
These do not have the snow flake but they do great in the snow IMO. I'm really happy with these. I've had them aired down to 13psi, they make all our family road trips and have been a great all around "overland" tire.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

These do not have the snow flake but they do great in the snow IMO. I'm really happy with these. I've had them aired down to 13psi, they make all our family road trips and have been a great all around "overland" tire.

Who knows that probably the same exact tire they just charge more for the one with a mountain snowflake on it lol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Just did it two times real quick , I need to find the little buffer pad that hooks to my drill so I can get it crystal clear but it will work for now 55B5CA04-B76D-488C-8B25-976BBFB2E303.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

One good thing about getting rid of a long term project vehicle (trying to find some good in it ) is you sometimes find parts that can be used elsewhere . I had bought these LEDs for rock lights for the Jeep I was building but I guess now they will go on the Xterra , not sure where yet but at least I have them . A1E3D26F-9F4C-49DA-B66E-91BE6B5B2EC3.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Ok here’s a great write up on tubbing the firewall and fender trimming to fit 35s with almost no lift . Now I know this is for a 4 runner and I haven’t really started measuring things on the Xterra but the method should in theory work on most any rig and has in the past .

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have some pretty serious issues with the description of the impact of a lift on suspension travel. He's assuming lift is only gained by adding spring rate/height paired with a stock limiter on travel (generally the shock). Any "good" lift kit is going to retain stock-levels of down-travel via increasing the overall travel limit (longer shock) where the situation allows (i.e. balljoint & CV angles allow in an IFS application) or producing the lift via other means (lift achieved by altered hub-placement in a spindle, lift achieved via different control arms with a different relationship between pivot points and balljoints, lift achieved via subframe drops, etc, etc.). The rest of the article seems reasonable, but the dubious start of the article still concerns me.

Anyway, yes that method "in general" can be applied to a lot of vehicles. It's a level of work most aren't willing or able to take on, which is why you so rarely see it done. That said, it's not a "one size fits all" situation that is guaranteed to be possible on every platform. You have to figure out what is behind the sheetmetal at the back of the wheelwell (you know, like your feet ;) or perhaps important components that may or may not be able to get relocated). On top of that, at full lock it's often the frame-rail itself that is the limiting factor. It all may be possible on your Xterra, but then again, maybe not?

I guess I'd ask the same question I ask myself - why 35"s? For me, 35"s start a snowball where the front axle really isn't fit for duty (even beefed up with axle-tube-sleeves, gussets, a truss, chromo axle shafts, etc. a Dana 30 isn't really the best axle for 35"+) so it opens up an expensive can of worms. I also have potential clearance issues with 35"s that even the big cut-out style fender flares from Notch Customs I want *might* not take care of at my current lift-height. I don't really want to go much taller, if at all, so I internally debate going 35" or not daily. In my case, whether I go 33" or 35" I'll be re-gearing (I'm currently still on the 3.73s that were stock in my WJ when it was produced on ~29" tires). I'm not sure if you're re-gearing yours regardless? If you're staying with 3.69s I think 35"s are way too tall regardless.

It's like I was saying in another thread about 37"s vs. 35"s: it's actually only 1" or difference in radius, which means ~1" more ground clearance. The same could be said for 35"s vs. 33"s. How often do you think you'll find that "perfectly wrong" obstacle that exactly 1" more ground clearance would make do-able, but just is impossible without it? It seems like it'd be "the perfect storm" and you're way more likely to find something that you can't/won't do on either 35"s or 33"s than you are to find something that is fine on 35"s but impossible on 33"s. Of course, all of that said I still want 35"s myself, and as I said above I think about what it'll take to do them right every day. :p

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If I was doing more rocks and hard trails I probably would stick with a 33 but for the most parts I just like to drive gravel roads and light trails but my favorite part of the year is snow wheeling so that little bit of extra tire can really make a difference , Plus having that little bit of extra tire when air down greatly improves the ride quality to. If i can keep from having to lift the suspension at all I will keep my CVs close to level which will greatly increase their strength and longevity .
Like I said this is all theory at this point I am still I’m very far away from doing tires , what I have is going to have to work for now .

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If I was doing more rocks and hard trails I probably would stick with a 33 but for the most parts I just like to drive gravel roads and light trails but my favorite part of the year is snow wheeling so that little bit of extra tire can really make a difference , Plus having that little bit of extra tire when air down greatly improves the ride quality to. If i can keep from having to lift the suspension at all I will keep my CVs close to level which will greatly increase their strength and longevity .
Like I said this is all theory at this point I am still I’m very far away from doing tires , what I have is going to have to work for now .
I certainly agree with keeping your CV angles as close to stock as possible. On my '11 Silverado I run a 4.5-6" lift kit set as low as possible (4.5" or so) in order to maintain stock CV angles (the kit drops the whole front subframe and diff down ~4"). Sure, I'm giving up a little ground clearance but as you've pointed out it keeps the suspension geometry and CVs happy... and I'm not rock-crawling that truck. ;)

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

For your jeep have you looked into artec Industries. I know they used to have a Weld on axle truss system so you can easily swap a Dana 44 into your jeep utilizing the factory 4 Link

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Of corse on the other hand I still have a very built Toyota axle that was out of my Jeep project that if I got a Tacoma width driver side drop housing I could swap all the goodies over and it would make a excellent candidate for a SAS swap ........... hmmmmmmmmmmm
The 5.29s would probably be a bit on the steep side for the Xterra even on 35s.......... 37s ???

Ok I really need to get back to reality lol

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Of corse on the other hand I still have a very built Toyota axle that was out of my Jeep project that if I got a Tacoma width driver side drop housing I could swap all the goodies over and it would make a excellent candidate for a SAS swap ........... hmmmmmmmmmmm
The 5.29s would probably be a bit on the steep side for the Xterra even on 35s.......... 37s ???

Ok I really need to get back to reality lol
One draw back of the 2nd gen is that the Speedo, ABS, cruise control and that jazz is based on the wheel speed sensors for all 4 wheels.

You have to use a JKU D30, 44 or Rock Jock 60 that uses the JKU wheel sensors. I've been idly looking into a SAS for mine but you have to do a lot of frame work in the front to keep the lift below 6" and I really just want 4" of lift and 33-35s. I'm happy with the size of my Xterra.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

One draw back of the 2nd gen is that the Speedo, ABS, cruise control and that jazz is based on the wheel speed sensors for all 4 wheels.

You have to use a JKU D30, 44 or Rock Jock 60 that uses the JKU wheel sensors. I've been idly looking into a SAS for mine but you have to do a lot of frame work in the front to keep the lift below 6" and I really just want 4" of lift and 33-35s. I'm happy with the size of my Xterra.

Welllllllll that sucks , who needs a speedo or cruise control just guess how fast your going .

I was really hoping to keep one part of the Jeep project and reuse it somewhere else . Oh well

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The fiancé got off early today so we used the couple extra hours to go for a little 150 mile drive around the back way up to mount hood just to give the Xterra a shakedown run . Still absolutely in love with this thing , I probably should replace the shocks and struts soon as the suspension seems to bottom out over bigger bumps . 24D4135C-A4DA-441A-83EA-1D8FDC20DCEB.jpegEAEDA997-6027-4D20-86F1-43BB0308AAF3.jpegA858E05F-83A5-4A77-8DE7-1EC668D96D29.jpegE40A2F4B-EF1E-41ED-AA5B-2FB534006D0D.jpeg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
In for updates. I love the xterras. I'm actually looking at one for my next vehicle.