2010 Silverado 2500HD Hauler/Overland Rig

• HTML tutorial

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Here is my 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I have had her for 3 years now, I'm the second owner and we originally bought her to tow our Jayco 29' trailer (what my wife considers a camping requirement). This model is the LT which is pretty much a base model package. This means she is a clean slate. The engine is the 6.0L Vortec gas engine, it still has the stock power train and suspension with 3:73 gears.IMG_0082.JPG

So far the truck has been able to take me where ever I've wanted to go but I do want to make some upgrades. Now because the truck is going to double as my overland rig and our tow rig I can't get too crazy but I have some rough plans laid out.

IMG_0048.JPG

The first few things I have planned are mechanical, flush and swap the transmission, front & rear diffs and transfer case to synthetic fluid, add a cold air intake, and set up a dual battery power management system.

Truck Mock up.jpg

For the suspension, I'm not sure which way to go (this is where I'll need your advice). Most full sized trucks here in Canada go for some kind of "lift kit" which looks ok but I'm not sure how functional they are. I really like how the Icon Vehicle Dynamics systems work but I have only ever seen them on the mid sized trucks. And remember I still need to be able to tow a 10,000 lbs trailer....

Some of the less important things on the priority list are the roof rack, light cage and lights. but I would like to have them on before our big trip across Canada in 2018.

Thanks for giving this a read and I look forward to any advice you can give me for the rig.
Cheers,
John

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Welcome to OB! Chevy HD trucks are great platforms for towing and mild - off road from factory. The GM IFS needs beefing up I'd look into a leveling kit that also includes upper control arms to give you back the droup when you level.

Kryptonite UCA or Cognito UCA and shocks of your choice Fox or Bilstein. I imagine your going with 33" tires so the next items I'd recommend are Cognito PISK kit along with Kryptonite or Rare parts HD tie rods. To maintain the factory rake choose between 1-2 lift blocks or deaver add a leaf. Optional items would be to look at replacing the pitman and idler arms for HD versions see kyrptonite and the Moog XD series. Should be fun building her up and keep us in the loop!

Oh your side steps are easily hung up when off roading so if venturing out pull those off. Buddy of mine paid $300 just for the 4 brackets holding them in place!

Check Cognito Motorsports site for details on the PISK and UCA kits as well as Duramax store or Alligator Performance.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Welcome to OB! Chevy HD trucks are great platforms for towing and mild - off road from factory. The GM IFS needs beefing up I'd look into a leveling kit that also includes upper control arms to give you back the droup when you level.

Kryptonite UCA or Cognito UCA and shocks of your choice Fox or Bilstein. I imagine your going with 33" tires so the next items I'd recommend are Cognito PISK kit along with Kryptonite or Rare parts HD tie rods. To maintain the factory rake choose between 1-2 lift blocks or deaver add a leaf. Optional items would be to look at replacing the pitman and idler arms for HD versions see kyrptonite and the Moog XD series. Should be fun building her up and keep us in the loop!

Oh your side steps are easily hung up when off roading so if venturing out pull those off. Buddy of mine paid $300 just for the 4 brackets holding them in place!

Check Cognito Motorsports site for details on the PISK and UCA kits as well as Duramax store or Alligator Performance.

Cheers!
Thanks for the welcome and the info on the suspension. Looks like I have some homework this weekend :)

And, yes those running boards do need to leave. Custom rock sliders may be in order here.

John

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey John,

Welcome to the Group. I am happy to see another FULL sized rig!

Have you looked at Carli suspensions yet? I am not a huge fan of "lifts", I think "Wheel/axle Travel" and "ride quality" are way more important.
I will be keeping an eye on this!

Reactions: Johnnys Trip

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Hey John,

Welcome to the Group. I am happy to see another FULL sized rig!

Have you looked at Carli suspensions yet? I am not a huge fan of "lifts", I think "Wheel/axle Travel" and "ride quality" are way more important.
I will be keeping an eye on this!
Hey,
Thanks for the welcome to the group. Yes, us full size guys are few and far between lol.
I will check out the Carli suspensions this weekend. And I totally agree with you about wheel/axle travel and ride quality over lifts.
Cheers,
John

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I agree so far my Cognito UCA along with the Fox 2.0 shocks maintain the factory ride and more compliant off road manners. I'll also be looking at softning the solid rear axle with some Sulastic shackles. All I've seen and read state it makes it feel more like a half ton...Lol hopefully the wife agrees when done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I recently sold my 2011 2500HD Duramax for my 4Runner. That truck was great, very heavy duty and built to last. I put over 520,000 miles on it towing and it did every thing that I asked it to do. From -27 in Minot to 120 in Phoenix. I did regret putting on the Cold Air Intake (AirRaid). That was a $350 mistake that I wish never happened. Never improved on anything - hp or mpg, it just meant that I had to clean the air filter more often due to the fact that it sucked in so much more air, dirt, debris and bugs. I usually had to clean it every month. You would be better off with a tuner for the same price and you will see more improvements with the tuner. One trip up/down the I-5 in pollen season and you will understand what I mean. If you do decide to get a CAI be sure to get a pre filter as that will keep the bees out of the filament.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Air Raid MIT only swaps the intake tube and not the air box itself. From the reviews I've read this is the best route to take if you want to keep the stock air box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Little update, While the mechanical's and maintenance are under way I did not want to let the season get past me so I snagged a Kodiak Canvas truck bed tent and this will be my main set up for sleeping.
IMG_1256.JPG
This tent provides an amazing amount of livable space in the back of the truck for under $300. For now we are just using sleeping pads but we do plan to get one of the air mattresses for back here when my wife tags along. When I'm headed out solo I'm thinking a cot will be perfect.
IMG_1255.JPG
As you can see there is so much space back here.
Cheers, John

ProceedToParty

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Covina CA
Member #

Her is the start of my build. Im selling the wheels and getting 17s on 37s. But im running the RC 7.5 lift. So far so good. I have a few things i want to upgrade on the suspension. I love having the room in the cab plus able to taking everything i want. I also tow my travel trailer so a smaller truck wont work.

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Her is the start of my build. Im selling the wheels and getting 17s on 37s. But im running the RC 7.5 lift. So far so good. I have a few things i want to upgrade on the suspension. I love having the room in the cab plus able to taking everything i want. I also tow my travel trailer so a smaller truck wont work.

Nice looking truck, how does your travel trailer tow with the lift? I've heard it can make things a bit more difficult so I have not pulled the trigger on any suspension upgrades yet.

David Cheney

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
I recently sold my 2011 2500HD Duramax for my 4Runner. That truck was great, very heavy duty and built to last. I put over 520,000 miles on it towing and it did every thing that I asked it to do. From -27 in Minot to 120 in Phoenix. I did regret putting on the Cold Air Intake (AirRaid). That was a $350 mistake that I wish never happened. Never improved on anything - hp or mpg, it just meant that I had to clean the air filter more often due to the fact that it sucked in so much more air, dirt, debris and bugs. I usually had to clean it every month. You would be better off with a tuner for the same price and you will see more improvements with the tuner. One trip up/down the I-5 in pollen season and you will understand what I mean. If you do decide to get a CAI be sure to get a pre filter as that will keep the bees out of the filament.
I was thinking about a TRD PRO 4Runner myself! I currently have a PAID OFF 2015 Silverado LTZ Texas Edition 4x4 1500. I'd hate to loose the power and bed capability. Thoughts? How are you faring...?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The Toyota offers much better off road, non towing capabilities, less fuel mileage, more repairs than the Chevy, less comfortable, less power, carries less people, fits into parking spots easier, cheaper insurance.