2010 Ford Explorer

• HTML tutorial

northernXoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Michigan
Member #

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 V6. It's Blue Flame with the Camel leather interior. It's name is The Blue Bandit and I started driving it when I was a Senior in high school. I'm in college so the budget for this build is pretty small but am doing my best to make it work. I already have some mods installed, some uninstalled, and some on my wish list.

northernXoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Michigan
Member #

Anyone can go strap a bull bar and roof rack on their toaster on wheels and claim to have an overland rig, but what really counts is the reliability of the rig. I would recommend that anyone who is new to modifying vehicles have a mechanic give the vehicle a once over and make sure the general maintenance is up to date. My first mechanical mods were Mobil 1 full synthetic, K&N oil filter, Spectre oiled air intake filter, custom intake insulation sleeve, and a DNA Motoring oil catch can mounted between the crankcase and the intake on the PCV hose. These are pretty mild but over-modifying the mechanical aspects of your rig can lead to complicated repairs down the trail and an increased possibility of lessening the reliability of your rig. Tweaking minor aspects of your rig is generally the safest route unless your going for an all out purpose built vehicle that isn't a daily driver.

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Making any measurable improvement on my 2002 Explorer took lots of work and money. Luckily I started with 3.73 factory gears, added BTF upper control arms, Rancho adjustible coil overs, new bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, wheels and tires, and polished it off with a light bar. Unfortunately I feel it's as far as I can go, OX lockers would be next, but I'm worried the axle shafts and aluminum axle housings wouldn't take the strain. It will work until I can get an IBEX chassis!

Last edited: