• HTML tutorial

Auspicious Osprey

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim, California
Member #

Overland Bounders,

This is day 2 - That means the tires got dirty on day 1 and now its time to build the capabilities of this 2008 Tacoma TRD Sport. I have some ideas along with some questions. I'll post as this build develops, but I see the most of the work on this rig coming through the next 12 months.

Background - Purchased this 2008 TRD Sport from a friend Jan. 2017 bone stock. I want to increase the capabilities of this truck for overlanding. This must be done without the Frankenstein look with a mind to balancing weight (I'm an SUV guy who hates the loose end of trucks) and keeping the truck flexible for daily use (keep weight and extra bolt-on stuff to minimum . . . for now).

Here's where I'm at with thoughts and reviews:
  • 2.5" Toytec lift with Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100 front
    • Eibachs are awesome
    • Blew a 5100 already and not stoked on that. Installed it correctly and got a factory replacement (Thanks to BilsteinLifts.com)
    • Did not change out UCA's at first and got a lot of road wobble, walking and uneven tread wear.
  • Camburg UCA's
    • They rock! Corrected the lift camber and ride.
  • Add-A-Leaf, rear shim and Bilstein 5100 rear
    • Shim was to correct the rear diff angle and works well
    • 5100 on rear are fine
    • I do not like the Add-A-Leaf. They move around inside the leaf group and begin to rub on the leaf coupler. This creates a squeak that is annoying. I'll put in a new leaf set in the future.
  • N-Fab steps
    • Got a good price and my wife wanted something to help get in the cab.
    • Nice for the mall but not for where I want to go with this build.
  • Flowmaster Super 40 Dual exhaust
    • I'm a V8 guy stuck in a V6. What can I say?
    • I did see a good performance gain.
    • Sound is good. Not a V8 but also not a rice burner or overly annoying.
    • It is louder than stock and I may DynoMat the floor and back cab in the future.
  • Throttle Body Riser
    • Good throttle response and performance.
  • K&N Intake
    • Good throttle response and performance.
    • May not have been the best choice. The filter is in a cool air surround but not fully enclosed. Will need to either find or fab an enclosed box if I go to a snorkel.
  • BakFlip Bed cover
    • I like it a lot but this will influence me on how I make this build.
Here's where I want to go and parts identified or questions (Questions in bold italic . Let me know if you have another idea)
  • Superwinch 9500 - synthetic
    • I have the winch and am moving towards the bumper.
    • Would have liked the Warn but maybe when this one blows up.
  • U.S. Offroad Winch Bumper
    • I'm set on this bumper. I don't like the full fab bumpers for this "stealth" build. It comes with D-rings which are needed for recovery on this truck. Bad stock recovery points.
  • ARB front and rear lockers
    • Going for it!
  • ARB Dual Compressor
    • This is where it gets sticky because I'm not set on the mounting location. Options and questions.
      • Under the hood. Looking passenger side firewall. Does anyone make a mount for 2008? Slee has one for 2014 and it looks like it will work.
      • Inside the cab rear storage. This is my least favorite spot. I would like the cab to be free of the noise and preserve storage space.
      • Passenger rear fender. I can see a spot right above the rear leaf spring that will work with a little fab and wire harness extension. It is a little lower on the vehicle than I would like. Any issues with dirt, grime, or water with these units?
  • Dual Battery
    • I like the Genesis right now. Comes with everything I need but a volt meter and packages in one spot.
    • Any other suggestions?
  • Power management
    • Putting some thought into Spod but the bills are racking up. It sure would be great to simplify switching and wiring. Spaghetti wiring is not a great idea.
    • Any other suggestions?
  • Roof Rack
    • I'm leaning to the Prinsu Design rack. Slim and integrates well with existing lashing systems using T bolts.
    • Any other suggestions?
  • Armour - Skids and sliders
    • I like Pelfrey built but build cost is getting up there.
    • Are you guys staying simple with the front or are you running it through the Trans?
    • Over the gas tank too?
    • Any other suggestions?
  • Bumper and Swing Away Tire Carrier
    • I like the Pelfrey Build. Hidden hitch is a must.
    • This would be my least prioritized mod right now, but this does accomplish some valued improvements.
      • Weight moves further back on the truck.
      • Clearance improves in rear.
      • Fuel storage, HiLift, Maxtrax, fold down table
      • Recovery points
    • Any other suggestions?
Thanks for reading my rant. Your suggestions, links or pics are appreciated. See you on the trails.

Auspicious Osprey

Rig 1.JPG

Reactions: benzfanatical

Auspicious Osprey

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim, California
Member #

Overland Bounders,

Just got back this past week from the 1st Annual Feed the Vets Event and Toyota of Huntington Beach, CA. Wow! Great rigs and ideas out of the show. Brian and Matt got it going on at Goose gear.

So, I got my behind in gear after the show and got to work. Just installed a US Offroad Hidden Winch Bumper and a SuperWinch Tiger Shark 9500. Things are coming together. I have some front recovery hooks now and a non-aggressive front end. Digging it!

Comms and ditch lights are next.

upload_2017-7-20_10-25-15.png

upload_2017-7-20_11-1-53.png