St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Hello again friends! At our last meet-up, people expressed an interest in doing some trails along with our meet-up. Winter is moving in and is going to make this more difficult, hopefully we can beat the snow! If we get there and there's snow on the trail, the trail run will be cancelled due to the risks of having a large group out on this specific trail with (I'm expecting) several stock rigs.

We will meet at 11am, hangout, eat our lunches, etc. 12:30 we will gather to discuss trail rules, line up and go! This is only 15 miles of trail, putting us out on NF-48, after this feel free to explore more or head home!

Stock height trucks should be ok, if you have a car or small SUV then you should probably have at least a lift. 4x4 is very recommended.

Required to bring:
Gallon of water
Shovel
Recovery point that can be winched from
Spare tire and tools to change it
GMRS radio

View Rally Point
Reactions: Smileyshaun

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

I really want to go, but it's decidedly a maybe for me. I'm in a stock rig, so I appreciate the easy trails. I'm considering looking to camp the night before just because it's 3 hours from me. Does anyone have recommendations for a lower altitude campsite?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I really want to go, but it's decidedly a maybe for me. I'm in a stock rig, so I appreciate the easy trails. I'm considering looking to camp the night before just because it's 3 hours from me. Does anyone have recommendations for a lower altitude campsite?

look at the Barlow road there's a couple good campsites along it and it's a fun drive . coming up hyw 35 there's lots of spots to pull off onto a fs road and camp .

Reactions: Justinwrites

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

We’re there. And I know this is a wimpy question to ask but ... how much pinstriping can we expect? (Driving a Tundra)

Devil Dog 77

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ridgefield, WA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Deuvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7IGC
Looking forward to this. Hopefully I can figure out what is going on with my rig otherwise I'm not going to make it. Went up to Johnston Ridge yesterday and today when I got in my truck the check engine, DSC off and traction control lights are all on. (2007 Tacoma). Checked fuses under the hood and everything seems to be good. Brakes (and lights) work and it drives and stops fine. Didn't go off pavement yesterday. Heavy rain on the way home but It's been wet before so don't think that is the problem. I have an idea what the problems is based on info I found on Tacoma World but any suggestions are appreciated.

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

@Devil Dog 77, check your battery connections. I've seen some posts over on T4R with similar issues.

I've got prior plans for this Saturday (11/10) but am really hoping to catch another meetup with a local group.

Devil Dog 77

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ridgefield, WA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Deuvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7IGC
Well the lights are gone. Not sure if giving the gas cap a few extra clicks or unplugging the charger I had in the cigarette lighter port did the trick but either way everything is back to normal. See you all on the 10th.

whiteryce

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

portland, OR
Member #

you're welcome to crash at my moms house in hood river, i will be spending the night there before the meet up, as she only only lives 30 minutes away from the rally point. plenty of parking and yard space for a tent

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

the first half of the road looks like this most the way with a couple spots with a rocky drop off, gets a little more narrow at some points but I think you could avoid pinstriping rather easy even in a full size rig .....but at some point it's gonna happen. Make sure to keep a good coat of high qualitywax on the rig it will cut down on pinstripes and make the ones you do get easier to buff out .
hdr_00838_0.jpg

Reactions: PB&Me

CaptAdv

Rank 0

Traveler I

We’re there. And I know this is a wimpy question to ask but ... how much pinstriping can we expect? (Driving a Tundra)
I hate to say it but pinstripes in the pnw are inevitable. Especially on any trial more than a logging road.
Totally agree with Stpickens!

I have found that on the west side of the mountains and in the Cascades on roads that are beyond the well maintained paths to trailheads you will inevitably have to negotiate fresh growth sticking out into the road. On the West side of the mountains I find you deal more with sage brush (very stiff) about 1/3 the way up the sides, especially if you need to straddle mud-ruts from 35" tire beasts which can mean running one side right close to the brush.

I drive a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, which is super narrow and short in length and overall height. I still get both sides and the roof in the brush quite a bit. But, I also can frequently straddle all the ruts and have fairly easy go of it.

Reactions: PB&Me

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

All right everyone. Let’s get a final list of people that are coming to the trail run on sat. Only reply if you are going please and what rig you have. If everyone shows up and are ready to hit the trail early then I am game for that. Terry and I will scout the trail before the run and assess how the trail is before everyone shows up. I will have a couple of twelve packs of soda with me if anyone gets thirsty. Remember bring extra food and water as well as warm clothes and an air compressor for airing back up if you chooses to air down. Looks like it will be nice out after all. High 30’s low 40’s. Let’s have fun and see you there.

Devil Dog 77

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ridgefield, WA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Deuvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7IGC
I'll be there. Stock Toyota Tacom TRD Offroad.

Anybody else that is attending a Vetern of the USMC?