2005 Toyota Land Cruiser advice needed...

• HTML tutorial

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

I have recently purchased a 2005 Land Cruiser, since OB#1996 took my Jeep.

So I am going to install the OME 2 1/2 lift and need to understand what my tire size options are for the lift?

I believe that I read somewhere that with that lift it will accommodate a 305 tire size. I am currently running with the stock tire and wheel set up, 275-60-18. I am looking to maintain the on-road behavior and maximize the off road abilities.
I am pretty committed to the BFG AT KOA2, I have always used these in the past and have not had any issues, so it would be a tough sell to go a different route on the brand.

Thank you in advance for the input.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I have a 2000 LC100, I switched to the 18" steel rims, the 16" alloys were standard.

Without a lift, but with the front bars cranked up and a spacer in the rear springs, I run a 275/70-18 BFG K/O2 with no problem.
With the front a little higher, maybe a wheel spacer would give it a better stance, but I don't like wheel spacers.

I think it looks good.

Seconded, IH8MUD.com is a good resource for your question.

Dan.

Reactions: cosmoblu

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Where did you source the rims? I have asked that question as well? If there is an advantage to moving from my stock 18"s to the steel rim. I have got to get my side steps off, it looks so much better with out.

I believe I will have to do some research on @MUD see what I can come up with.

Thanks

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I was going to chip in and just say that with the OME lift on mine (different model) I was easily able to run tires an inch taller than stock but then I started to think about it and realised that when I did it also meant new rims, original ones were two narrow, steering stop adjustment and the speedo went out. On the plus side it reduced rev's at highway speeds. Went googling for a more informed answer and came across this: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm In case of interest.

Just remembered... did the castor correction too!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: cosmoblu

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Where did you source the rims? I have asked that question as well? If there is an advantage to moving from my stock 18"s to the steel rim. I have got to get my side steps off, it looks so much better with out.

I believe I will have to do some research on @MUD see what I can come up with.

Thanks
The steel rims are from an earlier 2nd Gen Tundra with the small holes. They come light grey but I repainted in that color, gives it that early cruiser look.

The advantage for me over the alloy wheels is durability. I have hit rocks with steel wheels that would have cracked or damaged the alloy version beyond repair. They are heavier though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app