2004 LX470 100 Series Tire Question

• HTML tutorial

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm new to Overland Bound, excited to be working on a 2004 Lexus LX470 build out. Need some suggestions on tire selection. I'm located in SLC, UT. With my routes planned around UT, ID, Wyoming, I'll be doing a lot of road travel to get to these locations. . I'm not looking for an aggressive rock crawling tire. A tire that can handle dirt roads, from mild to advanced.

With that said, suggestions or comments on these three tires I'm considering for a quite and comfy ride on the asphalt but something that is confident in the dirt.

General Grabber AT 2

Yokohama Goelander Go15

BF Goodrich AT

These tires will be going on Stealth Customer Series F5 16 x 8 wheels with a tire size of 285/75. Link not available as this is my 2nd post.

Thanks in advanced.

Joe

Reactions: LuisJr

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I have been completely impressed with the BFG AT K/O2, don't have an opinion about the others.

I have them on two vehicles currently, quiet on the road, very capable and good traction, brutal tough sidewall, nothing but good things to say.

My 2 cents.

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have been completely impressed with the BFG AT K/O2, don't have an opinion about the others.

I have them on two vehicles currently, quiet on the road, very capable and good traction, brutal tough sidewall, nothing but good things to say.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate it. Thank you much.

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I had the geolanders before and was unimpressed by them, they were the older version. I have nothing but good things to say about the bf Goodrich ko2

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB Sepulveda

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I had the geolanders before and was unimpressed by them, they were the older version. I have nothing but good things to say about the bf Goodrich ko2

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thats two votes for the BFG AT's. We might be on to something. Thank you for taking the time.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Cooper ST/ Maxx or STT, the former being less aggressive, but both super quiet on pavement, while very good off-road & in snow. They're also stud-able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I am running 285/65 R18 BFG AT KO2 on my 2004 LX. I really like them and they have performed well both on and off road. I normally run air pressure at 22 lbs for extended off road trips. Being a load range E tire they did firm up the ride. I was surprised how the minimal height increase from the stock tire size affected my gearing. I need to disengage the overdrive on steep grades that I didn't have to do with stock tires. When towing my utility trailer, cruise control is nearly useless on anything except completely flat roads. Would buy them again though.

10ga

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Morristown, TN
Member #

I'm running Nitto TG 295/75R16's but I have a 2.5" OME lift on my 1998 Land Cruiser. I've ran General Grabber AT2's and BFG KO2's on other 100 series. The BFG KO2 is a little smaller than other tires which isn't a bad thing when you're running an oversized tire. I changed over to the General Grabber AT2 on my lifted 99 Cruiser and they rubbed on the UCA but the BFG didn't. I bought the Nittos for my newest build because they were on sale at Discount Tire Direct, 4 shipped to my office for $630. They fit good with no rubbing, they ride great, low road noise, and perform well on the trails. I bought them because they were the best deal at the time and after running them for the last 5 months, I think I would buy another set.

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I am running 285/65 R18 BFG AT KO2 on my 2004 LX. I really like them and they have performed well both on and off road. I normally run air pressure at 22 lbs for extended off road trips. Being a load range E tire they did firm up the ride. I was surprised how the minimal height increase from the stock tire size affected my gearing. I need to disengage the overdrive on steep grades that I didn't have to do with stock tires. When towing my utility trailer, cruise control is nearly useless on anything except completely flat roads. Would buy them again though.
Thank you for the details. Helps a ton.

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm running Nitto TG 295/75R16's but I have a 2.5" OME lift on my 1998 Land Cruiser. I've ran General Grabber AT2's and BFG KO2's on other 100 series. The BFG KO2 is a little smaller than other tires which isn't a bad thing when you're running an oversized tire. I changed over to the General Grabber AT2 on my lifted 99 Cruiser and they rubbed on the UCA but the BFG didn't. I bought the Nittos for my newest build because they were on sale at Discount Tire Direct, 4 shipped to my office for $630. They fit good with no rubbing, they ride great, low road noise, and perform well on the trails. I bought them because they were the best deal at the time and after running them for the last 5 months, I think I would buy another set.
Not familiar with the Nitto TG, I will look them up. Thank you

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Here's the Grabber AT2's 315/75/R16

Same Cruiser, same size tires in KO2's

Nitto TG, same lift, 295/75R16
I'm curious now about the tire size. From time to time I'll be pulling a 20' trailer. So thats why I was thinking a 285. I really like the look of your setup with the Grabber's with the 315. Any insight if that would be to big of a tire pulling the trailer? I will have a Oldman emu 3" lift so hight will be ok. And removing the factory setup rails.

10ga

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Morristown, TN
Member #

Honestly, you would be pushing it. I ran 4.88 gears with the 315's and you would probably be okay pulling a trailer that size if you wanted to spend the money to re-gear but you're talking a lot of money. When I put the lift on my current ( red ) 100, I talked to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters about tire size and re-gearing and he said he was running the 295's on his 100 with stock gears and had little to no power loss so that's why I went with 295's instead of 315's. I am glad I did because I don't feel like I've lost any power with the 295's. Anything larger than 295's and you will notice loss of power and your fuel economy will suffer. There's not much difference in 295's and 285's and just guessing the 285's will be a little cheaper.

JB Sepulveda

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

That's what I needed to hear. I'll do the 295 and call it good. Kurt and his team is doing all the work on mine next month.

Appreciate the follow up. Cheers.

10ga

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Morristown, TN
Member #

You are in good hands then. I wished I lived closer to them, that's who would do my work. I order all my parts from CO or Slee, both great companies to deal with. A buddy of mine who is a member here, went with 285 KO2's and he's loving them. They're a little more expensive but they're a great all around tire for road and trail. The General Grabbers have a little deeper tread and tend to pick up a lot of rocks but I would but another set if I was looking. I keep an eye on Ebay, Discount Tire Direct is always running some kind of special offer with free shipping. I can go back and look but I know I paid $640 for my set of Nittos, I think the 315 Grabbers were $680, and the KO2's were about $750, you're probably not going to beat those prices at a local shop. I have a local tire shop that I like doing business with but when I told them what I paid for the KO2's, they said they couldn't even buy them for that.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

KO2s here, and holy crapola that 315 is a lotta tire on that LandCruiser. I ran 305/75/17 Terragrapplers on my 2010 Ram 1/2 ton that was leveled, and on my 06 1 ton and it was perfect. My Boss Runs 315s on his 1 tons.
I had 45,ooo miles on them when I got rid of the last truck. Still had some more left. Probably woulda got to 55 or 60.
Ive been told by a guy on TW that he gets 60,000 out of his Goodyear Kevlar M/Ts. If I woulda known that before I got the KO2s 2 weeks ago, I woulda gone with the Goodyear M/Ts.