Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

F9A6D7C0-9DAC-4C67-9C45-0850F937D0CE.jpeg CC6372C6-ED57-4FC4-A213-5F60170CA2FB.jpeg 55181A85-5F6E-4592-9826-0DBA258100A0.jpeg Hey folks, just joined the community and am looking forward to contributing in any way I can!
I bought my Disco about three months ago, it was bone stock with a Voyager roof rack. Pictures will sort of explain the evolution as the thread goes on

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Andy Allen

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Welcome, from one disco owner to another! Get your wrenches ready!
Thanks! I actually work on discos for a living, so thankfully I have lots of practice [emoji23] any recommendations on gear to make it a little more “adventure ready”?

Andy Allen

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Nice looking disco! I too have recently acquired at disco 2 (2003) which I am hard at work on already. I have a long list of things to do to it, but I am currently investigating an engine tap. Hoping for valve line issues as opposed to cylinder problems.View attachment 76298View attachment 76299
Mine taps too, they all have funky noises. Mine is a lifter, but since yours is a 2003 I would investigate your oil pump as they have a rather troubling tendency to fail on those engines due to a defect in the block casting. I have fixed several, you just need to remove the lower alignment dowel on the front of the block before reinstalling the timing cover.

Reactions: CZHipster

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

Mine taps too, they all have funky noises. Mine is a lifter, but since yours is a 2003 I would investigate your oil pump as they have a rather troubling tendency to fail on those engines due to a defect in the block casting. I have fixed several, you just need to remove the lower alignment dowel on the front of the block before reinstalling the timing cover.
Noted, thank you! I will add that to the list of parts to replace. I do love wrenching on this vehicle, though.

Andy Allen

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Noted, thank you! I will add that to the list of parts to replace. I do love wrenching on this vehicle, though.
No problem! I work on these all the time so if you have any questions just shoot me a message. I would highly suggest replacing the timing cover/oil pump unit as one, the screws don’t always want to come out of the pump. But I’ll include a picture of the oil pump out of an 03 similar to the one I did last month IMG_7106.JPG

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks! I actually work on discos for a living, so thankfully I have lots of practice [emoji23] any recommendations on gear to make it a little more “adventure ready”?
I’m a few weeks ahead of you on my build out but way behind you on my mechanic skills. Yours has great bones already - and a roof rack worth half as much as the car - ha! Throw a winch on that bad boy and go see what it can do!

Reactions: Andy Allen

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

No problem! I work on these all the time so if you have any questions just shoot me a message. I would highly suggest replacing the timing cover/oil pump unit as one, the screws don’t always want to come out of the pump. But I’ll include a picture of the oil pump out of an 03 similar to the one I did last month View attachment 76405
Are those cracks in the outer rotor of that oil pump? ..yikes!

Looking forward to see what a Rover mechanic will do to outfit his own Disco :)

Andy Allen

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Are those cracks in the outer rotor of that oil pump? ..yikes!

Looking forward to see what a Rover mechanic will do to outfit his own Disco :)
That is correct, 2003 4.6 engines and some 2004 4.6’s have a misaligned alignment dowel for the timing cover that causes stress on the planetary gears and causes them to fail as pictured.

Well considering I don’t make that much, it’s gonna be as cheaply as possible while retaining high quality hahaha. So far mods are, Voyager Rack, OEM Great Divide Range Rover aluminum bullbar/bumper, Hella 550 driving lights, 32” tires, Hi Lift, Sand Ladders, and Shuttle Valve Switch bypass (ABS fix).

Planned mods are as follows.
Bilstein Shocks and HD springs, OEM 16” steel wheels and KM2 tires, bash plates front and rear, Hella 1000 flood and spot beams on top, Dixon Bates recovery jaws front and rear, some sort of better rear bumper, rear locker, etc. the list will continue to grow!

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Love my 00 Disco - and have missed it something awful the past month (long story having to do with living in a small town with a mechanic who discovered he has serious arthritis). It's coming home tomorrow though, and will be in Tate's Hell this weekend :)

Andy Allen

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Asheville
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Love my 00 Disco - and have missed it something awful the past month (long story having to do with living in a small town with a mechanic who discovered he has serious arthritis). It's coming home tomorrow though, and will be in Tate's Hell this weekend :)
It’s always good to have the Disco back, mine is always here but only because I work at a Rover shop