Member III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Upthegrove
Member #

Hey everyone!

So pumped to be a part of this community. We've been wanting to join up for the longest time but we were kinda embarrassed at the state of our rig and how long it took to make it a capable machine lol. But here we are! Can't wait to join up and talk overlanding! We are very impressed with the builds here and we're very anxious to learn all we can.

We look forward to making some friends and hittin the trails =)20200508_142416.jpgIMG_20190517_154904.jpg

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Hey everyone!

So pumped to be a part of this community. We've been wanting to join up for the longest time but we were kinda embarrassed at the state of our rig and how long it took to make it a capable machine lol. But here we are! Can't wait to join up and talk overlanding! We are very impressed with the builds here and we're very anxious to learn all we can.

We look forward to making some friends and hittin the trails =)View attachment 154057View attachment 154058
Welcome to the forum! Nothing to be embarrassed about. Hell, it looks like you're using your BMW on the trails more than I'm using my 4runner!

Reactions: X5 Overland

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looking forward to your build. I have an X1 that could use some ideas.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Welcome to OB. Some day I want to do a long trip, from here in Colorado through the some of the canyon tour (Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Bryce) and then up through San Francisco taking the coastal highway up to Washington. Then return home along a different route. Someday, Someday. Hope you have some great experiences out exploring.

Reactions: X5 Overland

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Welcome to the forum!!
Sure your X5 will do the job. Must know oil pan in X5's is prepared for longer traverse driving... So don't worry.

I believe You have 4,4 gas engine in Your rig - sure it's very capable, but thirsty as well. In overlanding quite important factor is a range - how deep can You go before reching "dead turning point" ;-).
Those X5 cars in Europe are widely equipped in M57. They are 6-in-line diesel, both single and dual turbo. Those X5s consume 30 miles/g !!! have 240HP and typical diesel torque - best in off-road.

We make NISSAN PATROL conversions with those engines due to price of old BMW in Germany (cost +/- 500,-$ for whole car) and as far as I, personally, am against swapping - BMW are very good sollution for overlanding.

Contgratulation and I'm sure You will be happy with this BMW overlanding :grinning:

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

X5 Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Upthegrove
Member #

Welcome to the forum!!
Sure your X5 will do the job. Must know oil pan in X5's is prepared for longer traverse driving... So don't worry.

I believe You have 4,4 gas engine in Your rig - sure it's very capable, but thirsty as well. In overlanding quite important factor is a range - how deep can You go before reching "dead turning point" ;-).
Those X5 cars in Europe are widely equipped in M57. They are 6-in-line diesel, both single and dual turbo. Those X5s consume 30 miles/g !!! have 240HP and typical diesel torque - best in off-road.

We make NISSAN PATROL conversions with those engines due to price of old BMW in Germany (cost +/- 500,-$ for whole car) and as far as I, personally, am against swapping - BMW are very good sollution for overlanding.

Contgratulation and I'm sure You will be happy with this BMW overlanding :grinning:
Range has been a bit of a limiting factor for us. We actually have the 3.0i which gets about 14.4 mpg on a good day lol. Doesn't help that it only takes premium. So far we have 230000 miles and still running strong!

Reactions: RoarinRow

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Range has been a bit of a limiting factor for us. We actually have the 3.0i which gets about 14.4 mpg on a good day lol. Doesn't help that it only takes premium. So far we have 230000 miles and still running strong!
Those 3 litre petrol engines in models from 2000'ish are most wanted now in EU since there are more and more cities closed for any diesels :cry: I live 100 miles from Berlin and can not go to the city with my Nissan Patrol any more.

Any way; goos for You X5 has strait 6 - they are simpler, more rigid and still very reriable engines.

If U would need any small part for this engine and find difficulties in US - we have pleanty of them on SHM here. Fill free asking - I can help.

Reactions: MazeVX

X5 Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Upthegrove
Member #

Those 3 litre petrol engines in models from 2000'ish are most wanted now in EU since there are more and more cities closed for any diesels :cry: I live 100 miles from Berlin and can not go to the city with my Nissan Patrol any more.

Any way; goos for You X5 has strait 6 - they are simpler, more rigid and still very reriable engines.

If U would need any small part for this engine and find difficulties in US - we have pleanty of them on SHM here. Fill free asking - I can help.
I will surely keep that in mind! Thank you!

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Hey everyone!

We look forward to making some friends and hittin the trails =)View attachment 154057View attachment 154058
Awesome!
Welcome to the community. Very interested to see more overlanding pictures of X5.
Enjoy and be safe!