2003 Ford Ranger Edge Plus

• HTML tutorial

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

So after much deliberation the decision is to keep the good old Ford Ranger and use it for the build. So now I get to start a build thread (The son and I are pretty excited about this) to keep track of the progress. I will also be starting a post on my blog ( www.followingharvey.com ) to provide details for those interested. Would love for people to chime in and provide some ideas.

Step 1: Shocks; Suspension; Tires

2 Inch Leveling Kit
Tires: 275/75/16 Toyo Back Country Mud Terrain - Same tire as the Discovery SST Pro.
Shocks: RMX Extreme Monotube

Step 2: Storage
Custom Bed Rack
Front Runner Slimline Roof Rack
Step 3: Bumpers and Lighting

Some things I need to figure out are:
1. Additional Fuel: I am liking the rotopak's but not sure if they are the right fit for my build, also given the fact that my truck only gets about 150 miles on the tank I may need extra capacity.
2. Winch and recovery gear
3. Water storage options.
4. Bed storage options.
5. RTT or Ground Tent
6. Spare Tire relocation - Bed, Roof or tailgate; if on the tailgate I would need to get a custom attachment made for rear bumper. Not so in favor of the roof but it is an option. The bed would take away storage space which might be needed if I do go with a RTT.

Initial Photo's

Justin Roach

Rank I

Traveler I

I've got a 2005 ranger myself and I'm looking to upgrade it a bit. Only issue I have right now is it's only 2wd so I'm contemplating whether to build it up or not. Look forward to seeing what your plan is for this truck :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I've got a 2005 ranger myself and I'm looking to upgrade it a bit. Only issue I have right now is it's only 2wd so I'm contemplating whether to build it up or not. Look forward to seeing what your plan is for this truck :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Justin,

Tough choice to keep and build or forego and buy new. Luckily mine is 4WD. I will be posting updates here as well as keeping a full build thread going on my blog at https://followingharvey.com/2017/09/13/2003-ford-ranger-overland-build/

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Very good week for the 2003 Ranger build this week. My son and I installed the Leitner Design's Active Cargo System and we received and mounted our Overland Bound emblem. We are now official. I did a time lapse of the rack install, need some editing to do but will post the full video by the end of the weekend. Thanks @raul and Expedition Outfitters. You guys are AWESOME.

KarrbonFiber

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Karr
Member #

That rack is amazing. I wonder if it'll work on my stepside. I don't imagine why it wouldn't.

It looks like it just clamps to the bedrails all around the truck? What about that rear brace? Did you have to drill into the bed?

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Very good week for the 2003 Ranger build this week. My son and I installed the Leitner Design's Active Cargo System and we received and mounted our Overland Bound emblem. We are now official. I did a time lapse of the rack install, need some editing to do but will post the full video by the end of the weekend. Thanks @raul and Expedition Outfitters. You guys are AWESOME.

That turned out great......

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

3 gallon Rotopax arrived today. Here it is installed. Really starting to enjoy this setup. Also I have attached a photo of the Cab ceiling where a few weekends ago my son and I spent some time putting up our patches that we have collected over the years. Some from our adventures but most from my 14 years in the US Navy.

upload_2017-10-13_17-26-35.pngupload_2017-10-13_17-27-12.png

Attachments

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Seeing your ranger brings back memories. Will and I started our overlanding in a 08 red ranger edge model. 4.0 L under the hood
3 inch body lift with 33x10.50 Boggers. Sad the day him and i rolled it. I wish nothing but great times for you and your son.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I haven't really thought much of Rangers, until now. Looks good. I really like that rack. Good job.