2002 Xterra Parts List, am I missing anything? Does this seem like overkill?

• HTML tutorial

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

New to overlanding and I picked up a 2002 Xterra 4x4 that already has a Rancho Lift and Calmini Safari Rack, new tires, and I got the suspension fixed. (just the drivers UCA and tie rod, so far)

Here's a list of what I was wanting to do to basically have it "ready to go"

Body/Armor:

- Shrockworks Rock Sliders - $0500
- Shrockworks Skid Plates (full set) - $0700
- Replacement Front and Rear Bumpers - $0400
- ARB Double Jerry Can Holder - $0180

Suspension:
- Xterra Heavy Duty Motor Mounts (x2) - $0220
- D22 Xterra Ultimate Kit w/ Alcan Springs - $1400

Interior:
- Paracord Headrest Grab Handles - $0040
- Rear Window Molle Panel - $0100
- Raingler Nets Dog Leash (x2) - $0050
- Raingler Floor Net - $0090
- Raingler Mini Ceiling Net - $0060
- Breakaway Pouch (FAK) - $0025

Recovery:
- Hi-Lift Jack w/ Full Accessory Kit - $0400

Anything on that list seem unnecessary? I was thinking I may not need the Skid Plates?

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I was thinking I may not need the Skid Plates?
I have a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X, which has factory skid plates. It depends on what you're going to be doing with it, of course, but I've found myself in a couple of spots in which I was glad to have them. As for the rest of your list, it all looks good, but necessary vs. unnecessary is fairly subjective. I have similar things on my wishlist, but Xterras are very capable rigs even without all the extras.

Reactions: amateurhour

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

Here is my $0.02 as former Nissan tech and former owner of a 1st gen Frontier (same chassis as Xterra) current owner of a 2nd gen Xterra. In the 1st gens the weakest link is the steering. The tie-rods bend easily. Calmini sells a steering upgrade package that is pretty stout, but expensive. I would recommend at least carrying a spare tie rod assembly with tools to swap it out on trail if needed. You might be ok out in TN, not too much rock crawling out there, I would assume more forest service roads. Here in CO & in Moab my Frontier took I bit more of a beating. So seeing as you replaced a tie-rod already just keep your old one as a spare. Enjoy ya new rig though, other than the steering they are very solid rigs.

Shawn

Reactions: Quicksilver