Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
20171113_084729.jpg I bought the 2000 TJ with the intention of Overlanding with it but since it's been in the shop for upgrades I've been using my 2017 F150. I was wondering if anyone else has been using a full sized pickup and what you've done to outfit it to overland?

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
You betcha. I Overland with a 2013 Toyota Tundra. For closer and more off-roady trips I have a 2005 LJ.

The truck build and a few recent adventures is here. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2013-tundra-clifford-build-adventures.5006/page-2#post-110557
Thank you dblack I enjoyed reading about your vehicles and meeting someone similarly situated. I travel with my wife and two daughter. We have to leave the dog at home with my son who seems unable to detach from his Xbox ( surgery may be necessary in the near future). We have a conversion van that carries everyone but isn't off road capable. Lately we've been discussing a Suburban build so we can bring the dog, maybe the boy.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Thank you dblack I enjoyed reading about your vehicles and meeting someone similarly situated. I travel with my wife and two daughter. We have to leave the dog at home with my son who seems unable to detach from his Xbox ( surgery may be necessary in the near future). We have a conversion van that carries everyone but isn't off road capable. Lately we've been discussing a Suburban build so we can bring the dog, maybe the boy.
I hear you there. I can occasionally drag the family out, but sometimes it's just me driving in circles. Which can be fun too. I can listen to more Podcasts that way. :-)

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I've got a 2000 TJ and I can tell you overlanding works, but it's tight. Wife, two kids, and me in the vehicle doesn't leave much room for gear. I've got a roof rack and/or tail gait basket depending on how much gear/toys we're bringing. Here's a pic from a summer trip where we were out for 10 days and brought inflatable paddle boards, backpacking gear, cooler, etc. I'm aware my packing job looks like the beverly hillbillies, I had just installed the roof rack 3 days before the trip. I've refined it a bit :).

I love my TJ, but I'm not convinced it's the best vehicle choice for overlanding. That being said, I have absolutely no plans to change anytime soon. I'm a big fan of dancing with the girl that brought you to the dance, and my TJ still has a sparkle in her eye.