2000 Jeep Wrangler "Blue J"

• HTML tutorial

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

Hey guys. This is (somewhat unfortunately) my third build thread. I keep having to move vehicles around for different reasons, but hopefully this one will be mine for a good while.
It is a 2000 TJ with the 2.8l 4cyl. The motor is not ideal, but it actually performs a lot better than I thought it would. It doesn't like highways, but neither do I honestly.
This is how she looked when I got her. She was honestly pretty ready to go when I got her. I will make changes for sure, but it is not a bad starting point at all. I have owned quite a few Jeeps over the years and I consider myself a Jeep guy. I am so happy to be in a TJ, its my favorite one.
Ill be posting a lot more updates as I build this little Blue-J out and take her one some adventures.

20171011-DSC07001.jpg

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

I was browsing Craigslist and I found someone wanting to trade their ARB Bull Bar for "something different. I showed them my bumper and offered to trade and they were down for it. It needed some paint and had a bit of a dent on the left side but I love it! I have always loved ARB bumpers and I love it on my Jeep. It also feels good to have that extra protection up front.

20171115-DSC07665.jpg

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

After this it was time for a sunrise test run up Bunce School Road near Lyons Colorado, with a little bit of the Place Crash Trail thrown in. I ran it with my Father-in-Law Scott (OB8832). It did well, but I learned my lift kit wasn't effective enough. Scotts Jeep that had a Rough Country 2.5" rolled through obstacles much easier than I did with my hockey puck lift.

It was really fun though, and good to get out in the wild. We decided to try to do this at least once a month through the winter and more in the summer with at least one big trip planned per year.

20171120-DSC07690.jpg

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

I found an AWESOME deal on Craigslist for this used Garvin Wilderness Racks rear bumper and tire carrier. I am very glad I did as this solves a lot of problems for me having a small Jeep. I have place for fuel and a way to mount my CB antenna and eventually a shovel and Axe. It also gave me a better place than my hood for my HighLift jack.

20171205-DSC08014.jpg

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

I removed the light bar because, even though I LOVED the light it produced I simply could not handle the whistle. It was so loud and annoying and no matter how I adjusted the light it always came back. Still wanting additional light though, I added theses a-pillar mounts and they work great!

20171211-DSC08026.jpg

I got my CB mounted inside. This little mount from Rough Country works great! And I can wrap the mic cord around it and get it all out of the way when I don't need it. When you have a Jeep its always about find the most space-effeciant way to get something done.

20171211-DSC08028.jpg

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

Since then I have installed the Rough Country 2.5" lift. It definitely helped the stance, it rides WAY better and I definitely have more flex. I need to get it on a trail soon to test it out but most of our trails have feet of snow on them right now. So backcountry dirt roads will have to suffice.

I also traded my Duratracs (not a huge fan) for this set of BFG Mud-Terrains. I had 265/70r16s and I wanted to go with something skinnier and a little taller. These are 255/80r17s and I think they are perfect.

I am pretty happy with where my Jeep is right now. Of course there is plenty I want to do in the future (including a 2.8 cummins swap) but right now it is plenty capable, prepared, complete, and ready for the kind of overlanding I want to do.

I took her out on January 1st to watch the sun rise on the new year and it felt great. I think 2018 is going to be filled with some awesome adventures and I get to go one some awesome ones with you guys.

DSC08299.jpg

DangerBear028

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nolensville,Tennessee
Member #

Since then I have installed the Rough Country 2.5" lift. It definitely helped the stance, it rides WAY better and I definitely have more flex. I need to get it on a trail soon to test it out but most of our trails have feet of snow on them right now. So backcountry dirt roads will have to suffice.

I also traded my Duratracs (not a huge fan) for this set of BFG Mud-Terrains. I had 265/70r16s and I wanted to go with something skinnier and a little taller. These are 255/80r17s and I think they are perfect.

I am pretty happy with where my Jeep is right now. Of course there is plenty I want to do in the future (including a 2.8 cummins swap) but right now it is plenty capable, prepared, complete, and ready for the kind of overlanding I want to do.

I took her out on January 1st to watch the sun rise on the new year and it felt great. I think 2018 is going to be filled with some awesome adventures and I get to go one some awesome ones with you guys.

View attachment 43885
Are planning on the R2.8 swap soon?