Zillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

CNJ
First Name
Zack
Last Name
R
First off, big thanks to @Xplorer313 for sending over the track. Couldn't have done this without his version of the route.

Anyways, this past Sunday, a friend of mine and I met up and tackled a section of the TNJT.

The TNJT is a route that was originally mapped out by two-wheeled adventure riders, and it's since been amended over time to be both more legal (no private property) and also accessible to four-wheel vehicles. It stretches over 400 miles from end to end, from High Point State Park in the north, to Cape May in the south, twisting and winding it's way through all kinds of terrain. Paved, unpaved, dirt, sand, mud, and... even some water. The section that we chose to tackle ran from Jackson NJ to Barnegat, NJ, through Colliers Mills Wildlife Management area, Whitesbog Historic Village, and Brendan T. Byrne State Forest. Most of this part of the TNJT is unpaved; we hit fireroads and doubletrack, with the occasional stretch of asphalt in between. We saw areas of the state that most don't even know exist: 100+ year old cranberry bogs, decommissioned nuclear bunkers, and miles and miles of sandy fireroad that take you deep into the most isolated areas of New Jersey.

Overall, we had a fantastic ride - the trail was in good shape with only the occasional downed log that was cleared with a quick tug, and although it's been a very wet summer, the water crossings and wet sections we did encounter weren't impossible to navigate. I would not suggest doing this in a car, as ground clearance and elevation are... somewhat necessary.

Anyways, onto the photos!

Obligatory clean-truck photo, taken at the start of the first dirt section.

Yours truly behind the wheel.

Rearview full of Kinetic Blue.

It rained on and off all day, which made having an enclosed and air-conditioned vehicle quite nice.

I dusted off an old Macally phone holder and found it fit perfectly in the cupholder of the Colorado; it placed my phone into the perfect position for navigating the route with the Gaia GPS app. Walkie talkies were used for trail communication.

The trail runs right past BOMARC Base No. 1 - site of a nuclear mishap in 1960. It's been long-since decommissioned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOMARC_Missile_Accident_Site

Apex's BajaDesign Squadron-Rs provided plenty of lumens all day, not that we needed them. But they were great for being seen.

Log down? No problem!

With the rain we've received this summer, there was no shortage of green flora.

And with all the rain, we encountered several wet spots on the trail.

Smaller puddles like these were easily navigated...

...the deeper ones, however, required some scouting.

And a little can-do attitude.

More water, of course.

Officially off the road.

So far, so good. This was taken shortly after we stopped for a quick lunch break. Also, a good moment of comparison: Stock halogens headlights and BajaDesigns Squadron Rs on the left. Diode Dynamics SL1s and Morimoto XBs on the right.

The trail soon opened up to the wide-open bogs of Whitesbog, where the oldest Cranberry bogs in the United States can be found, and it's also the birthplace of the modern blueberry.

Blueberries were found and consumed.

And a few more water crossings remained.

This one took me by surprise, and I entered a little quicker than I should have.

Seems innocent enough, right?

Think again.

The Colorado handled it like a champ, though.

Our last big puddle for the day.

Long, but not deep.

And that's the end... for now.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looks like a great time! I’ve been waiting patiently to get my hands on the route haha.

Captain Obvious

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

PA
Member #

Hello. Does anyone know where to find the trailhead from the south side in Cape May?

I’m new to all of this. Done a bit off-roading at Rausch Creek in PA (more than 10 trips). I’ll still do that once in a while. But I’m thinking overlanding might be more my speed. I drove through Wharton state forest and enjoyed that. I like the sightseeing and relaxing. I might even try camping. So TNJT seems like a good option.

If anybody knows how to get on the trail in Cape May let me know.

JK on 35s

Thanks,
Mark

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hello. Does anyone know where to find the trailhead from the south side in Cape May?

I’m new to all of this. Done a bit off-roading at Rausch Creek in PA (more than 10 trips). I’ll still do that once in a while. But I’m thinking overlanding might be more my speed. I drove through Wharton state forest and enjoyed that. I like the sightseeing and relaxing. I might even try camping. So TNJT seems like a good option.

If anybody knows how to get on the trail in Cape May let me know.

JK on 35s

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, there is no real “trail head”. You need a copy of the route. And you’ll need a device or app to run the route. If you have an iPhone or iPad, LeadNav app is the best app you can run the route on to get the full experience. You can also reverse the route in the app to be able to start in Cape May, or if you’d like, I can reverse the route for you and just send you the reversed version. Send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send you the route.

-Leon

Reactions: KC2BUN

Zillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

CNJ
First Name
Zack
Last Name
R
Thought I had shared this on OB - but I guess I didn't. Last weekend we tackled another section.

This segment stretched from Route 72 to Route 563, and was largely within the confines of Wharton State Forest. In terms of trail conditions... this was a much drier day than the first run, and overall much less dramatic but still super scenic.

We started at nine-thirty-forty-five-ish in the morning at Modern Day Recycling in Barnegat, NJ. Clear, but warm weather. Two Colorados and the fake Jeep of a friend.

The word of the day was dust.

We also hit some secluded sections of pavement deep within the pine barrens. Literal roads to nowhere.

Eventually, we all finally got a chance to get our feet wet.

Trail parade.

We pulled off at the ruins of Friendship to take in the sights and water a few trees... and get passed by a horde of adventure riders.

The new Falken Wildpeaks proved to be a nice upgrade from the stock Goodyear All-terrains. A little more height, a little more grip, and a little more cushion for the pushin'.

Eventually we found a spot to stop for lunch and utilize our wasteful pickup beds.

After lunch, it was time to hit the trail again.

More dust.

Having enough of the dusty fireroad action, we dipped back into the woods and found these boys, buried up to their knees in a deceptively deep hole. Rule #1 of the Pine Barrens: "Sending it" is a good way to get stuck. Rule #2: Always have proper recovery points.

They had been here for a little while, and at this point, the XJ was sitting on its axles with no traction, and was 1" away from having water inside. We offered our scientific opinion and suggested they hook two Jeeps up to the stuck Jeep and shift into 4-Lo for maximum leverage. Imagine that, it worked!

Pontoons!

After seeing how deep the first hole was, we opted to not #sendit and take the bypasses on the most questionable of the water holes. Holes that are still that wet on a dry day generally mean you're gonna have a bad time.

My buddy in the blue Colorado couldn't resist dipping his toes, though.

And of course, the Jeep boys continued to #sendit

We played a little leapfrog and swapped order on the trail for a bit, too.

And eventually, we popped out of the trail and found the road to civilization. After a quick pause, my buddy and his wife in their Renegade went on his merry way to attend some Labor Day Weekend festivities and the two Colorados forged on to try one last section of trail before calling it a day.

However, we found it terribly overgrown and littered with downed limbs and logs, and after earning a ton of new pinstripes, we decided to turn back. But not before seizing the opportunity to grab one last epic shot.

I did bring this up to Leon / Xplorer313 - he's amended the route to include a bypass for this section that was overgrown.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Well done! Thanks for the adventure. :)

Those puddles are no joke. If you haven't seen it this is well worth the time. Just have to get through the first 3min and then the fun begins. Tyler's truck ends up ok in the long run.