1st Gen Tacomas what aals to buy?

• HTML tutorial

_tacoma_overlandadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Murriteta, California
Member #

Hi guys I have a 2003 Tacoma and I run 5100 bilsteins on my Tacoma that has a 2 1/2inch lift up front and sits stock up front. I recently went on a trip all loaded down with tent, gas, recovery gear, etc. once my shocks got hot I would bounce more so I realized I need a higher lift in the rear with some new leafs. Any suggestions for heavy load add a leafs or just whole leafs that offer good flex too?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Hi guys I have a 2003 Tacoma and I run 5100 bilsteins on my Tacoma that has a 2 1/2inch lift up front and sits stock up front. I recently went on a trip all loaded down with tent, gas, recovery gear, etc. once my shocks got hot I would bounce more so I realized I need a higher lift in the rear with some new leafs. Any suggestions for heavy load add a leafs or just whole leafs that offer good flex too?

I have a 2nd gen, but If you're hauling much weight off-road I would skip the aal and get a full leaf pack I like my old man Emu Dakar with the extra leaf, it's squeaky but hauls the weight and articulates nicely. I've heard that the all pro is quieter. I don't know how this translates to the 1st gens, but is probably similar. I started with the hellwig helper springs, then the airbags, then when I decided to go all in with coilovers, etc I did the full leaf pack. I should have just done this in the first place... depends on how much wheeling you plan on doing, but spent what I saved trying to save...

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Thanks you! I was going to go with all pro just a little pricey right now. Do you have any pictures of the flex you get with your old man emu Dakar leafs?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that, I just got back from crawling around the Sierras and the flex was great on the boulder trails there. I added the extra leaf in the middle of the pack too and the flex is awesome, especially for being able to also handle a ton of weight. I also did icon extended travel shocks with wheeler super bumpstops and extended brake lines.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
IMG_1779.JPG I have a 2nd gen Tacoma
I'm running OME heavy coils and shocks in front and I went with toy tec AAL rear and they are great for daily driving but sag more than I like when loaded
I have a set of Allpro expo leaf springs on order, they are due on Wednesday.
I will report back when I install them