Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

TL;DR - my ‘02 Tacoma’s head gasket is going south, and I need some recommendations in SoCal.

My taco’s HG is on its way out, like many other 1st gen 3.4Ls before it, around the 210k mile mark.

Symptoms: Rough starts after it sits a while, very reduced MPG, losing coolant, and sweet, white smoke from the tailpipe more and more often.
IMG_0470.JPG

I’ve done a compression test, and have low compression in cylinder 3:
IMG_0977.JPG

I wish I was more mechanically skilled so I could redo the top end myself, but I am not - and I certainly don’t have the time to learn and try.

Does anyone have recommendations for a shop in SoCal that I can reach out to for a quote? I’ve got two so far, and they are pretty close to each other.

Probably gonna change the water pump and timing belt at the same time since we’re in there.

Another option is to buy an imported Japanese motor, and do a swap. But I’ve read that there are some issues that need tackling when doing this.

It’s either that or really bare down and look for another first gen (this time in 4WD). I’m always looking. If you know of a deal, I’m all ears.

I will happily take any and all advice. Lay it on me!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@chrispartida

I believe that Timmy the Toolman (mtbtim65@gmail.com and https://www.youtube.com/user/mtbtim65 ) is ~kinda~ in your neck of the woods (San Jose, California). He's been around T4r.org and TacomaWorld for a number of years working on these engines and helping others with his videos. I don't recall seeing a Head Gasket replacement video for the 3.4 so you might be able to fill in that void if he can take on the job.

No experience with him other than learning a lot from his videos and postings. Either way good luck with getting your rig back on the road.

Boort

Reactions: chrispartida