Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

P5183995.JPG
Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park, WA

Hello All

About 6 months ago I purchased this 2002 Tacoma 4x4 w/ 2.7l 4cyl with a 3rd pedal off of Craigslist in the Bay Area. All while I was on my way back from McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Before I left for work I was starting the conversion of my '96 Dodge 3500 but soon realized the unknown cost and design that were required to build a well rounded overlanding vehicle. So when I stumbled on the ad I really appreciated the creative thought and design of the truck. (I may add we had no internet for 5 weeks, let alone downtime to surf the net) Luckily my Father being a car nut as well, he was able to look at the truck and sent a short 20 second video. From that pixelated clip I was sold, the truck was at the house the next week waiting for me to return home. About a month later I finally got to drive the truck, what a difference going from a Dodge 3500 to a SC Tacoma mainly being able to park in SF again. I was so excited to hit the road that I went up to Washington State to see some friends with no second thoughts about the truck. From SF to Port Angeles in 15 hours, only stopping for gas the Taco Box worked great just as a Tacoma should.
Photo Feb 21, 12 55 24.jpg
Upgrades when purchased:
Six Pac aluminum contractor shell - Modified with RV vent/fan, side windows, and foam insulation
National Luna Portable Batter System
ARB Fridge
Raised Bed Platform with storage compartments
Icon 2.5 Coil Overs / 2.0 Emulsion Shocks
ARB Front Bumper w/ Winch
Light Force Lights
Chinese Rigid D2's
Rock Lights
Marlin Crawler Clutch Kit
255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrains
All Pro Xfer Case Armor
4.10 Gears F/R
Snorkel Kit
P5224251.JPG

Before I left for the trip I purchased an ARB Awning and just mounted it with some angle iron brackets.

Photo Apr 20, 17 44 17.jpg

Modifications I have done:
American Racing Baja's - 16x8
General Grabbers - 285/75/16
100w Solar Panel
ARB Awning
New Marlin Crawler Clutch
Alcan Springs - Custom 1.5" Lift w/ +300 lbs payload
SS Steel brake lines
Camburg Upper Control Arms
Garmin - Montana 610t
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

Photo Oct 01, 10 08 28.jpg

100 watt flexible solar panel from Amazon and a solar controller. I think both with cables were $120? I have it trickle charging the rear batter so the fridge doesn't drain it after 4 days.

Photo Jun 13, 10 42 39.jpg

Photo Jun 13, 15 58 05.jpg

I picked up the Garmin on my way back from Washington, relatively pricey but compared to the Lowrance and Magellan units this fit more uses for me. I did have to buy another map package, but its great for hiking and traveling. I used it up in Greenland while exploring.

Photo Jun 12, 14 37 59.jpg
And of course being in California there is beach camping and surfing. Here my buddy and I spent a few days in SoCal soaking up the sun and having some brews. *Note - I keep all my cooking and misc camping gear in that green foot locker.

Photo Apr 11, 17 42 49.jpg
Photo Apr 13, 07 42 24.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Glad to join a big community of like minded people.

-Loren

TacoBox

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

ADS_0001.JPG ADS_0002.JPG ADS_0006.JPG ADS_0007.JPG ADS_0008.JPG ADS_0010.JPG I started building a rear bumper and tire carrier, here is my day 1 progress. Design is a dual swing out, the drivers side will hold fuel cans and the passenger side will be the spare tire and fold down table. I purchased some 2x3x0.120 and 1.75 x 0.120 tubing and some 1/8" plate for the table and fill in areas on the bumper.

For tools I'm using a Lincoln Mig gun, JD Squared Bender, and a trusty old air compressor.

Last edited:

TacoBox

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

I finished the bumper, got a spare tire mounted at America's Tire, installed my radios, roof rack, lights, and rewired the aft end of the truck just in time before leaving for San Diego and going onto Laughlin for the Mojave Road Trip. I never had a chance to test anything or time to make any changes before getting on the trail, the best part is nothing broke and everything worked!
Photo Oct 16, 16 53 57.jpg [/ATTACH] Photo Oct 16, 15 09 11.jpg Photo Oct 16, 16 55 38.jpg Photo Oct 16, 16 47 12.jpg Photo Oct 16, 16 55 07.jpg Photo Oct 20, 14 50 53.jpg Photo Oct 20, 14 49 54.jpg

I have a 20L Nato Can, 11lb aluminum propane tank w/ power tank mount, 285/75/16 spare, and a flip down table on dual swing outs with a single lock pin. The roof rack is a Smitty Built Defender rack it is the smallest one made for the a Yamaha Rino, I then installed a Rugged Radio RM60 under the radio and an old cb behind the center console. The chase light is a Rigid multi light that took place of the broken 3rd brake light which also doubles as a cargo light.

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

That’s a well thought out and clean rig! I like those contractor shells and have always thought that they’d be perfect for a camping set up, I almost got one for my truck but missed it by a day. Finding a used one that fits my 2nd gen dcsb is tough so I went with a regular shell. I really enjoy seeing rigs like this that are well built, get used hard, and not all over the top store bought. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Very nice, well thought out rig. LOVE that bumper setup that you fabricated!

Reactions: TacoBox

TacoBox

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

Thanks everyone! As most projects go they are never ending, after using Mojave Road as a prerun and test with the changes and additions I made I will have to modify the rear suspension. I drastically under estimated my weight when ordering my Alcan Springs and I want to go faster in the dirt :sweatsmile:, so after my next adventure (Which is watching the 50th Baja 1000!) Ill be going with a new leaf pack and 2.5 remote resi Radflo shocks. Contractor shells make one heck of a shelter in windy campsites too! Hope to see you all on the trail.

HeyZeus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Do you enjoy the awning off the back? I've been debating on getting a small one on the back or a large one on the side. What's your opinion? Do you have plans for Lockers? If so what are you thinking of running?

AppalachianExplorer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Evans GA
Member #

I love this build. It is great to see DIY projects that are functional and look great doing it! What are your feelings on the 285s and 4.10 gears?

Last edited:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

What happenned to make you want to sell? Upgrading? Hard times? Just curious since you put so much time into this thing.
We sold our 90 toyota pickup because it was easily stolen. It was a tough sentimental choice. Thats mainly why im curious.

TacoBox

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

What happenned to make you want to sell? Upgrading? Hard times? Just curious since you put so much time into this thing.
We sold our 90 toyota pickup because it was easily stolen. It was a tough sentimental choice. Thats mainly why im curious.
I got a new rig, I needed more room for my business. Picked up a Quigley van which I have been working on to get trail ready the last two weeks. If I didn’t need more space I wouldn’t sell the truck, it went everywhere and was always reliable.

Attachments

Reactions: chuckoverland

TacoBox

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

South San Francisco
Member #

I love this build. It is great to see DIY projects that are functional and look great doing it! What are your feelings on the 285s and 4.10 gears?

Thank you. The gearing and tires work great, plenty of low end torque that is usable on the trail. Just on the highway doing 75/80 it revs high so mpg suffers but the low and mid range power is worth it.