• HTML tutorial

Member I

North Carolina
First Name
Nino
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Hey everyone just logging all my progress on here and I thought id share seeing as not too many here in the US talk about them.

This isn't my first time on here little over a year ago I had a 2020 Trailboss that the wife and I planned to build out. little did we know the truck just wasn't for us... aside from the fact that it got 15mpg and my commute to work was about an hour or so on a good day. we did have some great times in the truck and fell in love with off-roading. Now we're back and this time we pulled the trigger on a 1992 Toyota LJ78 2.4L diesel with 145k miles! Yes, it might not be the full heavy-duty Australian Landcruiser 70s but it fit our goals and budget. We couldn't justify spending $50k on troopy nor could we find one that we liked enough to even consider. So we landed on an LJ that was already imported into the states.

30mins into picking up the truck in Michigan we ran into an overheating problem which left us stranded for 48hrs in the middle of Indiana. but after working through the night with 2 great Autozone employees we limped her home we turn a 12hr drive into a 16hr back road drive

what's been done so far?
  1. several coolant flushes
  2. new thermostat from a 80s 4runner
  3. new upper hose but it'll need to be replaced seeing as insides are caked in murky residue
  4. new bulbs all-round

Plans?
  1. Full front and rear 2in lift kit from Ironman 4x4 foam cell with heavy duty springs. 25% off labor day sale came in handy the weekend we picked it up
  2. New steering damper from Dobinsons (SD59-824) on order
  3. Suspension bushing (which I haven't found)
  4. Bed inside the truck seeing as we have no desire to own or sleep in a rooftop tent.
  5. Roof rack and ladder from frontrunner
  6. ARB front bumper
  7. Classic looking KC lights
  8. custom exhaust and radiator
  9. fifteen52 wheels and new tires

20210903_154001.jpg

Member I

North Carolina
First Name
Nino
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Little bit of an update on the build. the good, bad and of course the ugly!

New steering damper from Dobinson's installed but ill have to order a new mount for it... I got wild with a grinder and took a tad bit too much off. it'll hold for now. LC80 mounts look almost the same so I might order one and see how that goes

20210911_131134.jpg20210911_102732.jpg

Finally got my ironman 4x4 2in lift! Wasn't able to install the front but that's for another weekend haha. In order for me to install my lift in the rear I had to dislocate the rear Panhard rod to only find out the OEM one doesn't fit anymore due to lift. So another part to order but that's life. Also if anyone cares rear springs are rated from 0-330lbs and fronts are 110-220lbs

20210919_111243.jpg20210919_130905.jpg20210919_131749.jpg

Now the bad.... cooling system sucks on the LJ78s! Big truck + small fans = wtf Toyota! I serviced the fan clutch which wasn't too bad but now looking back was pointless seeing as ill be doing an electric fan. But now I know what to do so another skilled acquired. Radiator is shot to hell so ill be ordering one this week along with new hoses that aren't filled with crunchy rust. I've done multiple flushes an used several rust removal chemicals and still picks up trash in the system. also i can hear it crumbling inside when i shake it around... time to let that old thing go.

Plans to get it all together and running by Overland East this year! count down begins

• Wow
Reactions: Kozysnack

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Nino,

Have you tried shopping here for parts? I use them all the time for our 4 diesel landcruisers. They are GREAT.

Cheers mate

--ofer

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I
Thank you! im noticing more and more LJ and 70 series in general starting to make it to the states! exciting times thats for sure
I know a couple have landed in North GA, but I haven't seen them in real life yet. I've seen a couple of RHD, diesel LandCruisers and I've been stupid jealous of those too!!!! Damn, I wish my Ford Ranger had the bigger foreign market diesel in it!!!!!

Member I

North Carolina
First Name
Nino
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

I
Thank you! im noticing more and more LJ and 70 series in general starting to make it to the states! exciting times thats for sure
I know a couple have landed in North GA, but I haven't seen them in real life yet. I've seen a couple of RHD, diesel LandCruisers and I've been stupid jealous of those too!!!! Damn, I wish my Ford Ranger had the bigger foreign market diesel in it!!!!!
I've spotted two others just around here in Fayetteville. Hopefully the aftermarket support comes along with it but who knows. Just ordered some new bushings, tie rod ends and radiator. Was hoping to get it all in before Overland expo buuuuut not happening lol.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Nino,

If you need parts for the 70 series, Joe Katana in Texas imports them from Europe.

Cheers

--ofer