1987 Grand Wagoneer Build "Voyager"

• HTML tutorial

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone,
Been seeing a ton of links to these forums and what not on my local Jeep Group (Jeep Owners of Prince George)
And now that I'm really getting into my Wagon that I purchased specifically to build into an Overlanding rig I guess I should start posting and become active!
So here it is.
Starting with what's already done, she's a 1987 Grand Wagoneer, power everything! Even has aircon. When I got it it already had a 4inch BDS lift in it with some performance engine bolt ons (although it was leaking like a siv) and was still on stock 29inch tires.
So far I have put some decent 31/10.5r15's on it and some basic maintenance like a re built the rear end (seals, wheel bearing. LSD clutches and brakes)
Right now she's getting a full engine re build and should have a new Fuel Injection setup once I get the engine back into it. Tried running the Edelbrock 1406 carb with the off-road kit but it just couldn't handle the inclines I tend to enjoy going up.
I will try to actively post progress and photos in this as I go, once I'm done the engine it will be some front end work.
Then it should be some fabrication for bumpers, sliders, skid plates and other misc off road bits!
Not sure if the mobile upload will work with my phone. If not I will post pictures when I get on my computer!

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Sounds awesome Largen! Looking forward to seeing some photos and updates in the future.
I'm potentially picking up an 1982 Cherokee Chief this winter, but the guy isn't very co-operative with taking quality photos lol

Good luck with the build!

Reactions: Largen

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1355.JPG Thanks Zachtyler! And I have actually already read that whole build. That thing is sick! Mine won't be quite that crazy, but I do love that jeep!
The "To Do" list on my jeep is currently massive... but I will be slowly tinkering on it. You have a good looking Cherokee there, I ended up selling a YJ I had for this wagon, wanted more seating and room.

Rcafcoburn, thank you, going to try some uploads now that I'm on WIFI. Watch for rust around the frame by the tank on these! Also the rear body seams from the back seat all the way around seems to be the worst "typical" rust. Good luck with the purchase, these old jeeps are pretty cool.

Here's some shots of the Wagon...

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wow! That is beautiful! The wood looks great! Look at that chrome! That thing looks brand new! Great pickup! Will definitely be looking forward to your updates to this thread. That thing is so awesome!
Thanks again!
She's in pretty good shape for her age,
189,000 km on it, still needs loads of work though that's for sure. Engine is currently stripped down to the block.
Sending it in to get tanked, bored and checked out. Will be running some AMC 343 Pistons In the 360, hoping to step the anemic compression from 8.5:1 to 9.5:1, will be running something akin to an RV cam, and some minor porting and polishing of the heads to get her breathing a bit better. Like I said in the first post there she has a couple performance bolt ons but nothing internal... here's some pictures of the engine work happening.

Attachments

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Still learning this forum looks like I can upload more then two photos at once, will have stop me posting so many times...
Hoping to have the machining done by next week so I can start ordering all the performance goodies. Got the Performer Intake all cleaned up with some Soda Blasting and it's ready to go back on, Will be ordering my new Distributor this week and setting aside some cash for my new Fitech Throttle Body Injection setup! Or the Holley Sniper... still undecided at this time. Either way they will both far outperform my "Street" Carb I have now.
One of the pics is why I started this all besides the leaks... started tore itself up and took the ring gear with her.

Attachments

Last edited:

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

good looking waggy! just picked up an '87 last week for $200! how does your lift ride? been looking at the 4" bds as well. lookin forward rto seeing your build
I wish I got mine for $200!
The BDS Rides pretty well, but compared to stock it will be a big difference. The leafs In these wags stock are pretty flat and cushy, so it will be noticeably rougher but so far I'm pretty happy with it. That being said I came from a YJ with a 4 inch rough country lift that was.... well rough as hell.
How's yours for rust?

advwagn

Rank 0

Contributor I

no rust. but the hood couldn't be uglier, had to rebuild the starter, and a new coil before it would run. still need to rebuild carb and trace all the vacuum lines the PO pulled and plugged. was a qtip in one, pencil in another...

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

L
no rust. but the hood couldn't be uglier, had to rebuild the starter, and a new coil before it would run. still need to rebuild carb and trace all the vacuum lines the PO pulled and plugged. was a qtip in one, pencil in another...
looks great for the price!
It will be a long road for sure, these old girls always are. Sorry for the slow response I haven't done anything with mine since, gotta pay the machine shop.... but I should have my engine soon here and I will start posting again!

Skijeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Black Diamond, WA
Member #

Here is my 87 Grand Wagoneer I just picked up a few weeks ago. Going for more of a Forest Service Road cruiser than an Overland rig though. Have lots of electrical bugs to work out, and some routine maintenance stuff to take car of first though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

It's been way too long since I have posted an update!
Finally have her all together and have done a couple short drives but I am having carb issues that I cannot seem to resolve, will keep puttering on it though...

Your 87 looks good! There is a bunch of weird wiring in these, and some notorious spots too, make sure you look at all the flex points (doors gate etc,) that's where mine has most of its issues for sure

Attachments

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Ah, the look of a shiny new engine free of rust and grime for the time being. Lovely. I also love that you are wheeling in a vintage vehicle. Have owned a few and it can be an extra challenge.

Last edited:

Largen

Rank 0

Contributor I

It's been a great project so far, learning a ton. And it's going to help me loads when I get around to working on my 65 Kaiser pickup I have as well.

The wagon is a great vehicle, just need to work out 30 years of kinks and it will be awesome.
They don't make vehicles like they used to that's for sure. I plan on taking this jeep everywhere (sensibly though). Can always explore withought trashing things that's for sure.
That being said mistakes happen ha ha

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I really like the wagoneers. Especially the older ones. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape.
BTW, Welcome!