1984 m1009 Cucv ''Camper Crawler''

• HTML tutorial

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

Is it okay to run soft lines that distance? I've heard it's not but the guy who brought it up runs a drag car so maybe its only an issue in that world.
The lines aren’t your standard soft lines. It has a hard shell over it. Gates barricade hose. Soft lines are not an issue. When I drag raced you needed steel lines or braided for protection by nhra and ihra rules. The fuel lines I installed will be getting a heat and abrasion resistant cover over it.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

The lines aren’t your standard soft lines. It has a hard shell over it. Gates barricade hose. Soft lines are not an issue. When I drag raced you needed steel lines or braided for protection by nhra and ihra rules. The fuel lines I installed will be getting a heat and abrasion resistant cover over it.
Cool. I had a feeling that it was more about the rules than the hose itself... this particular guy is one of those pushy know it all types that made it sound like every car needed steel lines to even run. As a matter of principle I don't usually take one persons advice as gospel... hence my questioning you. Your explanation makes more sense.

Anyhow, that's a killer build you have going! I've seriously considered a 12v for my rig and may go that route in the future.

Keep us updated! [emoji2] [emoji106]

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

Cool. I had a feeling that it was more about the rules than the hose itself... this particular guy is one of those pushy know it all types that made it sound like every car needed steel lines to even run. As a matter of principle I don't usually take one persons advice as gospel... hence my questioning you. Your explanation makes more sense.

Anyhow, that's a killer build you have going! I've seriously considered a 12v for my rig and may go that route in the future.

Keep us updated! [emoji2] [emoji106]
I will. Thanks man!

Reactions: Drifterman

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Very awesome build. Im going to throw one thing your way, run about 10% 2stroke oil in your fuel to keep the P pump alive since modern ULS fuel doesnt have the lubricity for the old school pumps. Ive seen a few loose the lift pumps and since there was 2stroke oil in the fuel the injection pump survived. My Cummins though a little different being a VE I got 260K out of the original pump by keeping oil in the fuel.

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

Very awesome build. Im going to throw one thing your way, run about 10% 2stroke oil in your fuel to keep the P pump alive since modern ULS fuel doesnt have the lubricity for the old school pumps. Ive seen a few loose the lift pumps and since there was 2stroke oil in the fuel the injection pump survived. My Cummins though a little different being a VE I got 260K out of the original pump by keeping oil in the fuel.
I usually run some shell rotella oil in the fuel in my previous diesels. I like the 2stroke oil idea though thanks!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Engine oil works too, just 2 stroke oil since its designed to be burned is cleaner.
To Add: Since replacing the pump I have been running Stanadyne fuel additive. It seems to work really well, but for the cost I think 2 stroke oil is the best.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Nice, I LOVE OD Green. And good job on the flags, I see too many people display flags on the vehicle on the right side with the field leading rather than the union.

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

The 1009 is getting together. Front axle is decked out with Yukon chromoly 35spline axles,locker and all new parts. Painted and installed dash, heater and blower motor parts also.

Reactions: Drifterman